Team for next season?

IslandExile

47 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

I think the trouble we have is that we have some good players who cannot yet be relied upon.

Bielik is still recovering from a long term injury and we don’t know how he will look when he returns. Given his injury record, there’s a good chance he breaks down again.

Holmes and Marriott also seem to struggle to stay fit. Neither player is ever far away from breaking down. So again, that’s two more players who we can’t genuinely build the team around.

I also don’t understand this obsession with selling Bogle. In one breath, many of our fans believe he has had a difficult season and not improved on his first season. In the next breath, people are saying we should sell him for millions.

Where’s the logic? Scouts watch the same games and if they share that opinion, which clubs will want to spend millions on Bogle? Very few if any, I’d imagine, especially in the post-pandemic financial climate. If any club is interested, they’ll be looking for a cut price deal and one which certainly doesn’t serve our interests.

For me, it would make more sense to keep Bogle and try to improve him and tease more consistency out of him. Wisdom at right back or centre back would be fine in ordinary circumstances, but he has just been through something very traumatic and life changing. He needs to be carefully managed, which is why it would be unwise to sell Bogle at this point.

For me, when selling players, you want to sell them when they are playing well, coming off a strong season, and you can extract as much value as possible out of that deal. Can we say that is true with Bogle?

Hmm Bogle is tricky. For the record I'm a huge fan and I think he gets some unfair criticism at times considering the amount he has to do in a game. And if we have a decent budget (I.e. to cover GK, CB, RW say) for next I'd hold on to him unless as stupid offer comes in. But if we need to sell to buy.... Bogle unfortunately makes a lot of sense. 

In the squad right there is only really Bogle, Bird, Sibley, Lawrence and at a real stretch Waghorn fetching £5M or more. Of those Lawrence and Waghorn or in positions we are thin on the ground, wouldnt fetch huge fees and would be expensive to replace. It's a bad time sell Bird and Sibley because no team is going offer what they are actually worth based on limited play time and their market value likely goes through the roof with another season.

Bogle though ? Likely fetches the kinda fee major work on the squad can be done with, RB tends to be a cheaper position to replace and his value growth is going to be far steadier over another season than the likes of Bird or Sibley.

It leaves a bad taste to be honest but there is logic in it.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goalkeepers (2) NEW number 1 & Roos 

Right backs (2) Bogle as first choice, Ebosele to deputise? 

Left backs (2) One of Lowe or Forsyth as first choice, Buchanan to deputise? 

Centre backs (3 + Utility) Te Wierek, Wisdom, Clark or NEW (Hopeful?), Evans?

Deeper mid (4) Bird, Rooney, Bielik, Holmes (played his best football for us at centre mid driving us forward) 

Attacking mid (5)  Sibley, Lawrence, Knight, Whittaker, NEW? 

Striker (2) Waghorn, Marriott

That's a first team squad of 21 players. 

Try and offload 2 of Malone, Forsyth & Lowe

Shinnie could be sold? Has done nothing wrong but we're packed centrally. 

Try and offload FloJo and Davies (Perhaps a club offers to put him through his coaching badges whilst still playing?) 

Martin, Huddlestone, Anya off the wage bill. 

If Bogle is sold Wisdom becomes first choice RB and we need a 2nd CB incoming. 

On 18/07/2020 at 21:00, Sparkle said:

It really depends who we are left with after the transfer window shuts but as we stand 

Roos 

bogle.   Dutch   Wisdom lowe 

knight    Bird Rooney.  Lawrence     

Waghorn Marriott 

obvious replacements include Forsyth Davies Holmes Bennett and if he stays Martin 

i tend to think we would take decent offers for Bogle and Lawrence 

Rooney and Bird in a midfield two? 

Jesus christ it'll be like we're playing in slow motion. 

23 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Rooney and Bird in a midfield two? 

Jesus christ it'll be like we're playing in slow motion. 

Exactly might aswell sign up for walking football. Knight and Lawrence offer us no width whatsoever we will again play like this season not stretching teams. I think bogle has been limited aswell going forward because he has no player in front of him to drag a player with him. Everytime he gets it out wide there isn't a player from our team 10 yards close to him infront of him yet has 2 people on him straight away. Even a prime cafu would struggle to take on 2 players every 2 minutes 

59 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Hmm Bogle is tricky. For the record I'm a huge fan and I think he gets some unfair criticism at times considering the amount he has to do in a game. And if we have a decent budget (I.e. to cover GK, CB, RW say) for next I'd hold on to him unless as stupid offer comes in. But if we need to sell to buy.... Bogle unfortunately makes a lot of sense. 

In the squad right there is only really Bogle, Bird, Sibley, Lawrence and at a real stretch Waghorn fetching £5M or more. Of those Lawrence and Waghorn or in positions we are thin on the ground, wouldnt fetch huge fees and would be expensive to replace. It's a bad time sell Bird and Sibley because no team is going offer what they are actually worth based on limited play time and their market value likely goes through the roof with another season.

Bogle though ? Likely fetches the kinda fee major work on the squad can be done with, RB tends to be a cheaper position to replace and his value growth is going to be far steadier over another season than the likes of Bird or Sibley.

It leaves a bad taste to be honest but there is logic in it.

If we genuinely need to sell to buy, I think Sibley is the player that would attract the most interest and generate the most funds. That’s who I’d sell personally to give us the most room to manoeuvre.

If we were actively looking to sell Bogle, it would have been more logical to cash in last summer after we had just reached the play-off final and he had had a fantastic debut season.

If the consensus is that Bogle has had a poor season by his standards and the team has also gone backwards, it doesn’t put us in a position of strength if we look to sell him.

I take your point that Sibley and Bird might be worth much more in a year or two and they’d be harder to replace, but we thought the same with Barnes and Hughes and look what happened there.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

If we genuinely need to sell to buy, I think Sibley is the player that would attract the most interest and generate the most funds. That’s who I’d sell personally to give us the most room to manoeuvre.

If we were actively looking to sell Bogle, it would have been more logical to cash in last summer after we had just reached the play-off final and he had had a fantastic debut season.

If the consensus is that Bogle has had a poor season by his standards and the team has also gone backwards, it doesn’t put us in a position of strength if we look to sell him.

I take your point that Sibley and Bird might be worth much more in a year or two and they’d be harder to replace, but we thought the same with Barnes and Hughes and look what happened there.

I think I'd try to sell the rest of the team before I sold Sibley! 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think I'd try to sell the rest of the team before I sold Sibley! 

Of course, in an ideal world, we would want to keep Sibley. He is such an exciting prospect.

However he is also the player on everyone’s lips right now.

Obviously the financial situation is unclear but if it is as bad as we fear, we might have no other option but to cash in and strike while the iron is hot.

We can’t be that Hard up....

Derby players and staff unimpressed with CEO’s new Porsche with personalised number plate after pay cuts and furloughing.

2 hours ago, Jourdan said:

I cannot see anyone making an offer that's vaguely tempting for Sibley, purely because he's only started in 9 games and I think Bird is in a similar (albeit not quite the same as he's played more) boat. And it would likely cost a lot to replace to him.

Thing is I don't we should actively sell Bogle and I don't think it's a particularly good time to sell him but I think we would get a lot of his actual value if he was sold now. If that makes sense ?

It's always going to be the gamble but to a certain extent we need to sit on players and try to maximise their transfer values. Barnes was unfortunate and well Hughes we undersold because we hired Rowett who didn't want him.

My Opinion:

GK: New/Roos

LB: Lowe/Forsyth

LCB: New/New

RCB: Te Wierik/Wisdom

RB: Bogle/Wisdom

CDM: Bird/Bielik

CDM: Rooney/Knight

CAM: Sibley/Holmes

LW: Lawrence/New

RW: New/Waghorn

ST: New/New or Martin?

Sell: Mitchell, Carson, Malone, Davies, Evans, Shinnie, Jozefzoon, Marriott, Bennett

Our problem is we’re overloaded with central midfielders but no proper wide players.  It’s been that way for a while now that we force someone to play out wide, a bit like Sven with Scholes.  Do we play a different formation, particularly if funds may be a bit light.  Personally I like 3-5-2 so we could go...

GK = New

CB = Mike T-W; Bielik; New (Clarke?)

WB = Bogle; Lowe

CM = Rooney; Bird

ACM = Sibley

ST = Martin; Marriott

Or a 4-4-2 diamond that might fit the number of midfielders...

GK = New

FB = Bogle; Lowe

CB = Mike T-W; New (Clarke?)

CDM = Rooney

CM = Knight; Holmes

ACM = Sibley

ST = Martin; Marriott

No Lawrence in either of these but he could fit the ACM role.  Although I’d be tempted to sell as I think we’d get a decent fee.  I also think you’d rotate Martin, Marriott and Waghorn enough to keep them all happy.

12 hours ago, brady1993 said:

I cannot see anyone making an offer that's vaguely tempting for Sibley, purely because he's only started in 9 games and I think Bird is in a similar (albeit not quite the same as he's played more) boat. And it would likely cost a lot to replace to him.

Thing is I don't we should actively sell Bogle and I don't think it's a particularly good time to sell him but I think we would get a lot of his actual value if he was sold now. If that makes sense ?

It's always going to be the gamble but to a certain extent we need to sit on players and try to maximise their transfer values. Barnes was unfortunate and well Hughes we undersold because we hired Rowett who didn't want him.

For the same amount of appearances the red dogs got between £8-15 million in recent times for their youngsters 

Thinking about it Rooney most probably the best in front of the defence.

with a midfield 3 of Bird ,Sibley and Knight but that leaves no winger so not easy but would allow to play 2 up front.

As good as he has been for Derby Rooney position is the Problem.

Rooney and Bird is a Problem. 

lf you play a 2 in front of back 4 you have to look at Rooney or Bird with Either Bielik or Knight.

or play 4-1-4-1 with a new striker capable of playing that lone striker and who is quick.

Personally I would look to get money for Bogle , Lawrence , Waghorn and Holmes and Lowe  even I would consider selling Bird if the money was Right.

New

Wisdom  Te Weirk  New   New

Rooney 

New.   Knight.  Sibley     New 

New 

That is why previously I have said 6 new players some to be loans I think we need to change things and needs to be radical.

This team would be good enough for promotion. If the right recruitment is made.

1 hour ago, Richard246 said:

with a midfield 3 of Bird ,Sibley and Knight but that leaves no winger so not easy but would allow to play 2 up front.

lf you play a 2 in front of back 4 you have to look at Rooney or Bird with Either Bielik or Knight.

or play 4-1-4-1 with a new striker capable of playing that lone striker and who is quick.

Personally I would look to get money for Bogle , Lawrence , Waghorn and Holmes and Lowe  even I would consider selling Bird if the money was Right.

New

Rooney 

New 

That is why previously I have said 6 new players some to be loans I think we need to change things and needs to be radical.

Very very similar what I wrote earlier so clearly well-thought and balanced post ?

The problem we face next season is that Bird, Bielik and Rooney are easily in our best 11 players but very well may not fit into our best starting XI.

Bielik seems to have been forgotten a bit by people on here but he’s a sensational DM that adds a lot of physicality in midfield that we’ve been missing. And he’s still so young.

It’s mad we’ve gone from having Bradley Johnson at DM under Lampard to some of the best holding midfielders in the division in the space of about 12 months.

31 minutes ago, Richard246 said:

New

Rooney 

New 

I still think Bird will be a good player for us and I'd probably have Bielik once fit in place of Rooney but your team highlights the fact that we aren't good enough right now and probably still have what I consider weak characters in the squad. 

New faces. new energy, new heroes for the fans. 

Archived