Goalkeepers are pathetic

Ramfan1958

21 minutes ago, Remy the hare said:

The Prolonged leaving of Franklin Lampard really mess our preseason and recruitment up. Cocu didn’t arrive until after all the players had gone to the US. If we finish top 10 I think phil’s done a decent job especially with him starting on the back foot, limited time to assess and recruit, thin squad of talent, FFP and of course drunk players smashing into lamp posts and each other ?

7 red cards this season is a bit worrying and topping the discipline table must be a first for some time. Folk will start calling us “dirty”

I think there needs to be an inquest into why our discipline has been quite so poor this season. Having so many players out with suspensions has contributed quite a bit to our problems. I’m not sure what it is, but we keep making rash and stupid decisions - look at the number of penalties we’ve conceded. We need much improved game management next season.

Its probably worth a thread of it’s own tbf.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

I think there needs to be an inquest into why our discipline has been quite so poor this season. Having so many players out with suspensions has contributed quite a bit to our problems. I’m not sure what it is, but we keep making rash and stupid decisions - look at the number of penalties we’ve conceded. We need much improved game management next season.

Its probably worth a thread of it’s own tbf.

We seem to be harshly punished. Lawrence and Shinnie usually get booked for their first fouls of the game - Shinnie may even have picked up a yellow for Derby’s first foul of the match tonight. 

Derby - 4 yellows and a red from 14 ‘fouls’. 
West Brom - no cards from 11 fouls

3 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We seem to be harshly punished. Lawrence and Shinnie usually get booked for their first fouls of the game - Shinnie may even have picked up a yellow for Derby’s first foul of the match tonight. 

I agree tonight there appeared to very little consistency from the referee, one of the worst officiating performances I’ve seen at this level - and there’s a lot of competition there! I don’t think you can use the poor refereeing excuse over the course of a season though. It’s not like there’s some conspiracy against us - things will even out over 46 matches. The fact we have such a poor discipline level compared to the rest of the division is a concern that shouldn’t just be brushed over. 

3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I agree tonight there appeared to very little consistency from the referee, one of the worst officiating performances I’ve seen at this level - and there’s a lot of competition there! I don’t think you can use the poor refereeing excuse over the course of a season though. It’s not like there’s some conspiracy against us - things will even out over 46 matches. The fact we have such a poor discipline level compared to the rest of the division is a concern that shouldn’t just be brushed over. 

Lawrence and Shinnie getting booked for their first offence is on a consistent basis.

26 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Lawrence and Shinnie getting booked for their first offence is on a consistent basis.

Well then they must be doing something wrong. There’s no way every referee in the division has a vendetta against them. They’re obviously making rash decisions early on in games, and need to be taught a bit of control.

8 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our discipline definitely needs addressing. 6 red cards is way too many and too many needless yellows. 

However I think we can look at yesterday in isolation, other than Knight for back chat, the other yellows were for tactical fouls, and the ref was shocking, he should have dished out more yellows to the baggies or kept his cards in his pocket, he was inconsistent and over penalised us in comparison, and the red card was a complete joke. 

16 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Hamer was excellent yesterday. Without him the score would be a lot worse. Deserves credit.

Doesnt change his performances over the season or the fact that goalkeeper is the number 1 place (pardon the pun) in the team that we need to strengthen 

Excellent?! The saves he made are the type I'd expect any Championship keeper to make. In the end he cost us the two goals. Went to ground way too early which meant he couldn't prevent being rounded (Clarke could have done more to prevent this one). Fumbled the ball after being knocked by Buchanan, then beaten too easily at the front post for the second (Bird/Martin didn't follow their man). The ball hit his hands and he failed to catch it. 

image.png.ede59d03cc924b56b27a03b16ab9f695.png

Let's look at the goals we've conceded since the restart..

Millwall #1 - Good cross and good header. Nothing he could do

Millwall #2 - Poor defending. May have been able to get his hand out to save if he reacted quicker. I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

Reading - One of the worst punches you'll ever see when not under pressure

Forest - Bad footwork meant he couldn't get down to make the save. 

West Brom #1 - Went down to soon and rounded far too easily

West Brom #2 - flapped at the header despite having both hands behind the ball

2 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Excellent?! The saves he made are the type I'd expect any Championship keeper to make. In the end he cost us the two goals. Went to ground way too early which meant he couldn't prevent being rounded (Clarke could have done more to prevent this one). Fumbled the ball after being knocked by Buchanan, then beaten too easily at the front post for the second (Bird/Martin didn't follow their man). The ball hit his hands and he failed to catch it. 

image.png.ede59d03cc924b56b27a03b16ab9f695.png

Let's look at the goals we've conceded since the restart..

Millwall #1 - Good cross and good header. Nothing he could do

Millwall #2 - Poor defending. May have been able to get his hand out to save if he reacted quicker. I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

Reading - One of the worst punches you'll ever see when not under pressure

Forest - Bad footwork meant he couldn't get down to make the save. 

West Brom #1 - Went down to soon and rounded far too easily

West Brom #2 - flapped at the header despite having both hands behind the ball

Not disputing he’s rubbish but he was good yesterday. Mr Steele wasn’t criticising him for the goals - and I think he’s the best judge!

15 hours ago, TexasRam said:

Our goalkeepers have gone backwards since Given came in, Carson included. 

Carson's decline has nothing to do with Given.

Carson would probably be able to explain  why he went out of our side for so long and hasnt been able to force himself back into our side (before Man City came calling).

Even Anya got a chance.

Goalkeepers don’t win you promotion in the championship. All you need is one that the defence are comfortable with, you could tell with Roos we weren’t comfortable. The defenders we have seem comfortable with Hamer, he won’t drop you points and he won’t win you points just bang average for a keeper and that’s all you need in the championship. 
Yesterday he was class, the saves he made kept us in the game for a long time. The second goals came from young Buchanan leaving his man free in the box for a free header. Hit with Power into the ground and it’s a really awkward one for any keeper. 

If you’re going to build a team for promotion we need to have 4/5 good quality wingers like WBA have we only have one in Lawrence. Just get 3/4 more like him that can win a game and rotate when there poor. We’d go up. 

I can not believe we have people saying Hamer was excellent yesterday. Think it says it all about just how bad he is that our expectations have been reduced to a point where some saves that would fall on a scale of routine to decent have some labelling his performance as ‘class’ or ‘excellent.’ 

I find it interesting that some said Roos instilled no confidence in his defence (which may well be true) but are happy to ignore Buchanan feeling the need to challenge for a ball that Hamer was dealing with. Buchanan May well have lacked experience there but he clearly had no confidence in his goalkeeper, with good reason based on this seasons evidence. 

All I ask for is a bit of consistency. If Roos had put in that performance yesterday the crucifixion would have been much wider than it is for Hamer, that’s indisputable. I don’t know why that is but it’s disappointing. Roos’ treatment by the fans was unacceptable, but Hamer is getting away with worse because he has all of Roos’ bad traits but is worse at stopping shots and is worse with his feet.

I don’t think any keeper in this league is particularly great. Raya is possibly the best but is terrible in the air (and was very expensive), Bentley is highly rated but has been dropped by Bristol. I would have Roos somewhere in the middle in this league but I genuinely believe Hamer is one of the worst. Huddersfield May well get relegated and he was their third choice.

7 minutes ago, DCFC27 said:

Goalkeepers don’t win you promotion in the championship. All you need is one that the defence are comfortable with, you could tell with Roos we weren’t comfortable. The defenders we have seem comfortable with Hamer, he won’t drop you points and he won’t win you points just bang average for a keeper and that’s all you need in the championship. 
Yesterday he was class, the saves he made kept us in the game for a long time. The second goals came from young Buchanan leaving his man free in the box for a free header. Hit with Power into the ground and it’s a really awkward one for any keeper. 

If you’re going to build a team for promotion we need to have 4/5 good quality wingers like WBA have we only have one in Lawrence. Just get 3/4 more like him that can win a game and rotate when there poor. We’d go up. 

Except Hamer gets a lot of the basics for a keeper wrong. It wasn't Buchanan who left his man unmarked - he was standing near the front post to head clear any balls into the area. The goalscorer was Martin/Bird's man. Hamer managed to get his body behind the header with his hands near chest height, yet still somehow managed to parry the ball into the net. Useless keeping for the first as well.

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Except Hamer gets a lot of the basics for a keeper wrong... Useless keeping for the first as well.

Odd that Eric Steele doesn't see it like that. Hamer makes mistakes but knows the basics of keeping, the defence know this. Roos doesn't and the defence know that too.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Odd that Eric Steele doesn't see it like that. Hamer makes mistakes but knows the basics of keeping, the defence know this. Roos doesn't and the defence know that too.

I don't think Steele had the benefit of having the replays of the goals and seeing Hamer's role particularly for the second. From first viewing it looked like a good header into the bottom corner. Watching the replays you can clearly see that isn't the case.

Roos does everything except command his area. Put two CBs in there who win everything in the air and the complaints against Roos disappear. 

15 hours ago, Ramfan1958 said:

Get real we have the 2 worst keepers in the league.

You must watch some serious hours of football to conclude that. 

I mean let's be honest, without using Google, how many goalkeepers in this division could you even name? 

58 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You must watch some serious hours of football to conclude that. 

I mean let's be honest, without using Google, how many goalkeepers in this division could you even name? 

That would one for me I think. Samba.

Archived