Goalkeepers are pathetic

Ramfan1958

I was going to suggest we compare our keeper to the oppo keeper match by match

It's difficult though when the oppo keeper didn't have a touch. 

I mean Johnstone made no saves at all. Does Hamer win the head2head?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I was going to suggest we compare our keeper to the oppo keeper match by match

It's difficult though when the oppo keeper didn't have a touch. 

I mean Johnstone made no saves at all. Does Hamer win the head2head?

He won the trophy but Buchanan went and knocked it out of his hands.

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Odd that Eric Steele doesn't see it like that. Hamer makes mistakes but knows the basics of keeping, the defence know this. Roos doesn't and the defence know that too.

I wonder who was supposed to be teaching Roos the basics when he first joined the club??

35 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I wonder who was supposed to be teaching Roos the basics when he first joined the club??

And then we kept shipping him out on loan before Lampard had his say, I wonder why. ?

Looking at the stats, Hamer is 32 years old, has conceded 33 goals in 25 games with 5 clean sheets.  Roos is 28, has played 23 games and conceded 30 goals with 7 clean sheets and is our player.  If i were to simply choose which one to use based on these stats, Roos would be the one.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/ben-hamer/leistungsdaten/spieler/67283

https://www.transfermarkt.com/kelle-roos/leistungsdaten/spieler/123503

On 09/07/2020 at 16:19, ramit said:

Looking at the stats, Hamer is 32 years old, has conceded 33 goals in 25 games with 5 clean sheets.  Roos is 28, has played 23 games and conceded 30 goals with 7 clean sheets and is our player.  If i were to simply choose which one to use based on these stats, Roos would be the one.

If you watch the actual games though it’s clear that Roos is like a Ww2 kamikaze pilot and scared the bajeezus out the crowd and the defence.

On 09/07/2020 at 16:19, ramit said:

Not wanting to promote either keeper, I don’t think these type of stats prove anything.  Roos kept many a clean sheet when our defence was more solid and he wasn’t troubled as many times, Hamer has been in goal with a less solid defence in front of him etc etc. 

1 hour ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Not wanting to promote either keeper, I don’t think these type of stats prove anything.  Roos kept many a clean sheet when our defence was more solid and he wasn’t troubled as many times, Hamer has been in goal with a less solid defence in front of him etc etc. 

i didn't say it proved anything, but it is an indication.  Have you counted how many times Hamer and Roos have been troubled and how do you define troubled?  Perhaps it's not as simple as the defenders in front of the goalie, communication between goalie and defenders would also matter, as exhibited in the second goal WBA scored for instance.

That being said, i do think we need to strengthen the goalie position, but i would rather have Roos as the number 2 than Hamer.

5 minutes ago, ramit said:

i didn't say it proved anything, but it is an indication.  Have you counted how many times Hamer and Roos have been troubled and how do you define troubled?  Perhaps it's not as simple as the defenders in front of the goalie, communication between goalie and defenders would also matter, as exhibited in the second goal WBA scored for instance.

That being said, i do think we need to strengthen the goalie position, but i would rather have Roos as the number 2 than Hamer.

Lol, I can’t count how many times they have been troubled, if Being troubled can’t be quantified, by me, or anyone else by your post.

im not sure we disagree on anything to be fair.  I will just add I’m not a Hamer in, Roos out, Roos out, Hamer in poster.

My opinion is the standard of championship keepers atm is poor, the stand out for me is samba unfortunately who I think is the best.

we could do with a good keeper, but then again couldn’t they all??

8 minutes ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Lol, I can’t count how many times they have been troubled, if Being troubled can’t be quantified, by me, or anyone else by your post.

Lol, i was teasing you, because you threw that statement out there like it was a fact, when the whole concept of troubled is vague at best and i haven't counted either, for i have no idea what is precisely meant by troubled.  If that troubles you or me, we can console ourselves with the observation that it doesn't really mean anything and it's not worth the trouble...erm

Just to add, for no reason, it’s just how I see it,  every position in football has changed, all the way back to grass roots football, non more than the goalkeeper. Most players do not have to adopt anew skill set ! 
apart from goalkeepers.  Who are suddenly expected to be part of playing out  from the back.  Keepers like Roos and Hamer have enough on their plate stopping shots, now they are expected to be part of playing out from the back. with this new responsibility that has Was not part of their remit coming through the ranks we have to give them a break. 
The next generation of goalkeepers will not be on the books unless he/she cannot play CDM etc

21 minutes ago, ramit said:

Lol, i was teasing you, because you threw that statement out there like it was a fact, when the whole concept of troubled is vague at best and i haven't counted either, for i have no idea what is precisely meant by troubled.  If that troubles you or me, we can console ourselves with the observation that it doesn't really mean anything and it's not worth the trouble...erm

image.gif

Archived