Test Cricket is Back

sage

On 11/07/2024 at 16:16, Comrade 86 said:

Did we bowl well or did the Windies bat badly? Or both? 

I would have said it was a bit of both over the entire match.

While listening to TMS I heard them talk about how technical the Windies batters have become in test match cricket. While I'm a bit too young to remember the likes of Viv Richards, Brian Lara and others from those eras, I grew up watching the likes of Chris Gayle and Marlon Samuels who weren't afraid to whack it when it was there to do so.

At times the windies batting felt similar to when you're playing club cricket and a county age group player comes into bat. This batter looks fantastic technically, but you find yourself bowling a good line and length and they just pat it back or place it to the feet of fielders in very conventional positions.

I'd much prefer to see the Windies play attacking cricket if they are going to lose in 2 days and a session.

6 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

England ticking along nicely. A ton for Pope , hopefully Stokes will make a few 

West Indies fielding has been poor. Probably a 350 pitch but England should get 400+

Just enough movement to give England’s bowlers encouragement. Could be another thrashing.

16 hours ago, Srg said:

Can they hold off a bit, I'm going on Saturday.

You might be okay. England will probably bat again even if they dismiss WI for less than 216.

I hope the Windies put up more of a fight because England will get sloppy if it’s too easy.

35 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why do we do that thing with trying to get the tailender on strike? 

What's wrong with trying to get both out?

Bloody annoying isn't it. Game after game the whole gameplan seems to go out of the window when they get the oppo 9 down.

22 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Why do we do that thing with trying to get the tailender on strike? 

What's wrong with trying to get both out?

Yes, it’s been a thing with England for years.

Put all the fielders out for the ‘batsman’ (in this case a pretty average player) and try to get the tailender out. 

One lusty blow from said tailender and the bowlers panic. Full and straight seems an alien concept.

3 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Sad news about Graham Thorpe. I think he had been ill for a while.

In a difficult era for English cricket, he stood out. Great player.

was one of the top players when I first starting watching Cricket. Loved him by the time he retired from playing.

RIP