Test Cricket is Back

sage

36 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I like this declaration, all good fun.

Unexpected and defo worth a roll of the dice. at 360-odd for 8 i was thinking Australia would be quite happy on this pitch but getting to just under 400 and denying them the staisfaction of ending the innings and making them bat the half hour could easily have just turned over a wicket and perhaps be better than clinging on for the 20 odd runs they might have added.

Awful declaration. Only had 4 overs at them. Both batters were going well in the sunshine and it will be cloudy tomorrow.

Bazball is a bit like Paul Warne, generally like it but sometimes tries a little too hard to be quirky. 

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Unexpected and defo worth a roll of the dice. at 360-odd for 8 i was thinking Australia would be quite happy on this pitch but getting to just under 400 and denying them the staisfaction of ending the innings and making them bat the half hour could easily have just turned over a wicket and perhaps be better than clinging on for the 20 odd runs they might have added.

Having been brought up on late 60s, 70s, 80s cricket blah blah blah, Declaring as Stokes did goes against all I was taught, Pile on the runs and make your opponents suffer, Robinson looked comfortable, Root...well it's Root aint it, 450+ was on the cards.

But!, This is where I like stokes...he's a gambler, If it comes off sorted if not he goes again, Warner and Khawaja looked nervy...Warner was like a cat on a hot tin roof, It looks like Broad gives him nightmares...he's in his head 😁

It's even stevens for me...Bazball has changed test cricket...not too sure that's a good thing...but I can live with it 😉 

26 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I don't like it. Bravado over logic. 

I'd have batted on, Hit the "450+" make sure you don't lose the game...then declared overnight...but we're in a new era of cricket...if we win all good...if they lose they'll do the same in the 2nd test...and give the pundits something to bite on. 

1 hour ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

They could have got 20 to 30 easy runs tonight with maybe more tomorrow. More wear on the pitch for Aussies to bat last on. Spoiled the fun with Root in full flow. 

35 minutes ago, sage said:

I can just start to sense that these 2 will start to find batting easier soon, until the ball starts to reverse. Hopefully we can winkle one out to keep the pressure on.

and away they go

Moeen is bowling 20cm too full and doesn't drop his length when they come down the wicket

yes

Finally drags it back and boom

Edited by sage

17 minutes ago, PistoldPete said:

I think it just makes the declaration look silly. The pitch is flat. We could have got another 50 runs with Root in if Robinson and Anderson could stick around.  

It's looking a poor decision right now, you'd expect Asutralia to get a decent first innings lead from here.