Test Cricket is Back

sage

7 minutes ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Really. A whitewashing avoided, a test win against the number 1 side in the world, the Ashes series still alive and scope for better yet...

Work to be done, for sure, but I'd say there are reasons to be cheerful. 

I'm more than pleased, Excitement, Frustration, Stupidity, Poor catching, Superb hitting, Great umpiring, Fantastic crowd and this is ashes cricket, Where do we go from here, Does Anderson come back?, Will Bairstow make way for Foakes? Should Ali bat at 3, Will Tongue replace Robinson, Remember this test was won on the weather...imo.

It takes something for my nerves to be almost near wits end and I was expecting our usual collapse, But it didn't happen, 9 days rest for both teams Batteries to be charged and we go again.

The crowd will help with it being at Old Trafford and rain will have an effect you bet.

Crawley 

Duckett

Root

Bairstow

Brook

Stokes

Moeen

Woakes

Wood

Broad

Tongue

Just the one change, plus a change in the batting order.

Bairstow needs to get in earlier and focus on his batting. He’s batting like a keeper and keeping like a batsman at the moment.

I’d love to see a place for Foakes and if Stokes was fit to bowl, there would be.

Bairstow will come good with the bat in this series. You don’t become a bad player overnight.

58 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Crawley 

Duckett

Root

Bairstow

Brook

Stokes

Moeen

Woakes

Wood

Broad

Tongue

Just the one change, plus a change in the batting order.

Bairstow needs to get in earlier and focus on his batting. He’s batting like a keeper and keeping like a batsman at the moment.

I’d love to see a place for Foakes and if Stokes was fit to bowl, there would be.

Bairstow will come good with the bat in this series. You don’t become a bad player overnight.

I think Bairstow’s poor form with the gloves is affecting his batting 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

He has really struggled since his broken leg.

As one who has seen so many drubbings inflicted by Australia in my lifetime, with England usually just lying down and being steamrollered, I'm still a huge fan of the cavalier approach. Saying that, I have always maintained that you should always pick your best keeper.

6 minutes ago, Eddie said:

He has really struggled since his broken leg.

As one who has seen so many drubbings inflicted by Australia in my lifetime, with England usually just lying down and being steamrollered, I'm still a huge fan of the cavalier approach. Saying that, I have always maintained that you should always pick your best keeper.

Your probably the same as me and were frustrated that England didn’t pick the best wicket keeper in the world Bob Taylor, but  Alan Knott was at least a very good keeper who was a better batsman than Bob. Oh and he played for Kent not Derbyshire. The thing that pissed me off was Knott went off and played in a rebel tour and got banned but as soon as he served his ban he was picked again in front of Taylor. If my memory serves me right he then went off and played in another rebel tour so much for rewarding loyalty 

When was the last time we consistently picked a player because he was the best wicketkeeper? Jack Russell? Matt Prior perhaps. We just don't do it any more.

A top English wicketkeeper is just a poor batting performance or two from being replaced by a plucky have-a-go type like Bairstow or Buttler.

On 09/07/2023 at 23:11, Henrycav81 said:

Your probably the same as me and were frustrated that England didn’t pick the best wicket keeper in the world Bob Taylor, but  Alan Knott was at least a very good keeper who was a better batsman than Bob. Oh and he played for Kent not Derbyshire. The thing that pissed me off was Knott went off and played in a rebel tour and got banned but as soon as he served his ban he was picked again in front of Taylor. If my memory serves me right he then went off and played in another rebel tour so much for rewarding loyalty 

From my youth I always remember when team was announced how frustrated I was Taylor was below Knott in the pecking order. 
Every time Hendrick Miller and Taylor were picked I was buzzing. Mike Hendrick, I feel emotional now as I type, we’ve lost a great man. Beautiful bowler. 

Reading back with hindsight, how wonderful!

Some  comments I do feel are harsh. Top of my head JB averaging 36+ I believe, not shabby at all. I’ve mentioned previously, what he did last summer was sublime. Please don’t forget he destroyed NZ. He eats sleeps and breathes cricket. In interview he’s fantastic. I do now agree Foakes should have had a recall as JB isn’t in the best of nick. Same squad has been announced so rather than hoping he fails I hope everyone gets behind him and he gets his game back. 
Game on! 

50 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Some  comments I do feel are harsh. Top of my head JB averaging 36+ I believe, not shabby at all. I’ve mentioned previously, what he did last summer was sublime. Please don’t forget he destroyed NZ. He eats sleeps and breathes cricket. In interview he’s fantastic. I do now agree Foakes should have had a recall as JB isn’t in the best of nick. Same squad has been announced so rather than hoping he fails I hope everyone gets behind him and he gets his game back. 
Game on! 

I hope he has a great game and had no problem with him being picked at the start of the series as a batsman I’ve just always preferred to play with our best keeper I know that’s not always the case with the selectors.

i think Southgate should put Foden in goal Pickford doesn’t create enough 😀

51 minutes ago, SKRam said:

Game on! 

I've got him averaging 24 according to my spreadsheet.. (yep, believe it - cricket saddo with loads of time on his hands). Same as his oppo Carey, Warner and Labuschagne. So he's not in bad company. 

As much as he's still in there because his best buddy is the captain, he has the ability to win us this series alone and the England camp know that. Those knocks last year were iconic. That said, it looks a long shot given his performances so far.