Test Cricket is Back

sage

Just now, The Last Post said:

It's just not cricket...as the old saying goes.

This isn't parks cricket...it's the Ashes, Bairstow switched off...and he's a keeper, I'd do the same, Has a Gauntlet been thrown down...it has in the Looooooong room 😉 

Ultimately I’ve no problem it being out. He is “out”. But when a bowler mankad’s it is “out” as well and universally frowned on at that.

Never seen a reaction like that in the Long Room. It was ‘out’ - no doubt about that. Rules v spirit of the game, I suppose. I think the Aussies would have won without that but didn’t want to take the risk. I wonder if Smith had been captain and it was just after the ball-tampering saga, if the appeal would have been withdrawn.

Makes for an exciting afternoon session for as long as Stokes remains in. Interviews at the end might be interesting. The way that Broad is going at the Aussies, I’ll be betting that he’ll lose his match fee if he gets interviewed.

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Ultimately I’ve no problem it being out. He is “out”. But when a bowler mankad’s it is “out” as well and universally frowned on at that.

Ian Bell when playing against India, He thought the ball had gone for a 4, It never hit the boundary it was thrown back and he was run out...a legitimate run out...the India captain declined to give him out...over lunch I believe.

We rely to much on cricket being a gentleman's game...that went decades ago, There's still those in world cricket that believe it's a win at whatever cost and there's those that still believe it's 1950.

13 minutes ago, The Last Post said:

Ian Bell when playing against India, He thought the ball had gone for a 4, It never hit the boundary it was thrown back and he was run out...a legitimate run out...the India captain declined to give him out...over lunch I believe.

We rely to much on cricket being a gentleman's game...that went decades ago, There's still those in world cricket that believe it's a win at whatever cost and there's those that still believe it's 1950.

I don’t disagree and am not claiming to at all.

I’m just saying there can’t be levels to the “spirit” stuff. It’s either there or it isn’t. I think this went against it so the Aussies have opened themselves up to all sorts, including mankads at any and every opportunity, claiming dodgy catches (like they’ve done on more than one occasion btw). That’s what they’ve opened up by not withdrawing the appeal. 

9 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I don’t disagree and am not claiming to at all.

I’m just saying there can’t be levels to the “spirit” stuff. It’s either there or it isn’t. I think this went against it so the Aussies have opened themselves up to all sorts, including mankads at any and every opportunity, claiming dodgy catches (like they’ve done on more than one occasion btw). That’s what they’ve opened up by not withdrawing the appeal. 

100% agree with "the spirit of the game" Cummins "could" have withdrawn the appeal but he didn't...why...image.png.a34f60f87aac2971866cc8fedd80a6b4.png

Not watched all day, thought long and hard about putting it on the TV to watch it just in case I put on my normal curse it always goes horribly wrong.

Thought to myself don’t be stupid its going to make no difference at all whatsoever.

1st ball to Stokes after I put the TV on out.

Why oh why did I not listen to my gut feeling.

Honestly I feel like it’s all my fault.

6 minutes ago, cstand said:

Not watched all day, thought long and hard about putting it on the TV to watch it just in case I put on my normal curse it always goes horribly wrong.

Thought to myself don’t be stupid its going to make no difference at all whatsoever.

1st ball to Stokes after I put the TV on out.

Why oh why did I not listen to my gut feeling.

Honestly I feel like it’s all my fault.

Drive to the pub to watch the finale. Game pretty much over once Stokes was out while I was still in car. 

Disappointing. Yes, the bazball philosophy was taken too far, yes, we were not clinical, but we could and probably should have won that game. 

As for the Bairstow dismissal, it may be within the rules, but really? History will show this generation of Aussies to be have been a tough group of highly talented players. They'll also be remembered as a group happy to employ any and all means of shenanigans to get their way and possibly the most reviled side since the bodyline series. By and large, they seem a  thoroughly disagreeable collective and I'm praying we can take them down a notch at Headingley.

Thursday will come quick enough and I suspect the crowd is going to be as hostile as any in a long time. one thing that's guaranteed is that the England lads will be smarting and fired up for revenge. This series looks gone to all intents, but the Aussies were creaking at one point and it's fair to say that one side has scope for considerable improvement. These last three tests could get very tasty indeed.