Independence day

King Kevin

17 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

I have a confession to make...
I deliberately "showed an interest" in the OP, which may come across as showing a positive interest in the unnamed pub.  I now know the identity of the pub, and if truth be told, my next move was to then "slag off" the pub for being "Pre-Covid normal".... and those seeing it as a positive, I guess.  I was in the mood for a rant!
But I now appreciate it's not my place to do so.  I appreciate that those that choose to take this approach have their own reasons, and as @King Kevin correctly points out, we don't know their circumstances, nor their reasons for such an approach.

I can't say I agree with it.  I do see it as being selfish, inconsiderate, and disrespectful, but we all have our own personal thoughts, opinions, and approaches to such matters, and I guess no side has a right to lecture the other.

I'm far from impressed with the scenes in Soho last night, amongst many, many others over the past few months.  Personally, I'll be trying to keep away from such places.  I'm in absolutely no rush to "get back to normal".
We'll continue to try to keep our distance.  Shopping when we have to, yes.  Working as safely as is practicable, of course.
Pubs, cinemas, restaurants, planes and beaches etc... no thanks, not for me! 

Other than the elderly and "slightly under the weather" father-in-law, we've visited nobody's home (or garden), and have actively discouraged others to visit us.  We have had a couple of small family gatherings on local park land, social distancing and for a short... but welcome... period.  For now at least, we'll continue with that approach.  Family birthday celebrations will continue to be put on hold, in the hope we have many more to celebrate in the future!

We're big campers (tent), and are missing our canvas fix massively, but we're still not desperate enough to risk using shared ablutions facilities, either on the continent or here in the UK, so the wait will have to continue.  We'll stick to local bike rides and hiking, and returning daily to our own "facilities", for the foreseeable future!
I guess we're as keen as anyone "to see how things develop, over the coming weeks", now places are re-opening, and high numbers start to flock back to them!

I must point out, my own approach isn't out of respect for our NHS heroes and our shop workers, or even out of consideration for others, be that family, friends, or total strangers.  It's for no less selfish reasons than others have for their own approach.  I don't want to contract the virus.  I don't want to be ill, and I most certainly don't want to die. I may now have lived almost a decade longer than my own father did, but by my reckoning 57 is still "far too early"!
I am, without doubt, taking a 100% selfish approach to all this, so I have absolutely no right to question others, who may well be equally selfish, but with an opposite approach.

Fingers crossed, we'll all come out safe and well on the other side, and none of us will have regrets.
Time will tell, I guess.

#Livesmatter.
xxx

I was really pissed off with my sister when all this began. She went out the weekend before we went into lock down. Surprise, surprise, everyone in her group got Covid 19. Problem is, she couldn’t be more high risk, name a condition that doesn’t go well with Covid 19 and she’s got it. 

dhe felt she had to go out cos it was her friend’s birthday and she had to be there showing support, but ffs, her friend would understand, I’m sure.

She just feels this social responsibility to everyone, she could do with being a bit more 100% selfish. 

she had a couple of days in hospital, but got through it surprisingly unscathed (we genuinely thought she was a gonner when we first heard she was in hospital, now I almost wish she was just a little bit more poorly so she’d take it more seriously). 

now she thinks, cos she’s had, she can’t get it again, and therefore can’t give it to anyone. She doesn’t get that it can be on her clothes and the things she touches. 

our mum died in May (not Covid 19), so we broke some rules as we prepped the funeral. But my worst nightmare was that my dad might get it with us not being as strict. That would be beyond tragic. He’s in his 80s, so I wouldn’t fancy his chances with it. 

thankfully we dodged that bullet and now he’s moving house. 

so yesterday my sisters hair salon reopened, and she was rammed with people desperate for appointments. They’re doing all the proper PPE stuff (although I still worry that she’s not shown me anything to prove that she wouldn’t be among the first to let her guard down).

but what really, really pisses me off, is that she’s been round my dads most days, just to give him some company. And yesterday was no different. Straight after work, seeing dozens and dozens of people, before going home, having a shower and changing her clothes, she’s gone straight round to my dads again. Apparently to help him move (he’s moving house next week), not that she’s fit / well enough to actually carry any boxes, or do anything useful, especially not after her first day of work for weeks. And my wife already did everything. So there was simply no need for her to create that sort of risk.

if she ends up giving my dad Covid 19 through her lack of common sense, there’s going to be a range of emotions, but close to the top of the list will be super pissed off with her. 

Aah, that feels better, seemed like as good a place as any for that rant. 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, King Kevin said:

You have know idea what I do or my wife regarding how we work or conduct our lives .Why don't you think before you post?

To be fair you just posted you went out to a pub that flouted the social distancing rules and it was brilliant. Did you expect a round of applause? 

2 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

To be fair you just posted you went out to a pub that flouted the social distancing rules and it was brilliant. Did you expect a round of applause? 

That’s exactly what I said to my sister when she shared a selfie of her hugging my elderly auntie. I told her off, she took offence, I said ‘did you expect a round of applause?’

Stayed in. Avoided going outside for the day as did most people I know. I may venture out locally later. One bit of good news that probably won't be reported anywhere was that West Midlands police reported no arrests, no assaults and no drink related injuries on the late shift in Brum city centre which when you consider how big the place is, is pretty remarkable. From what I've read, outside of Soho/Borough Market/London hipster areas most of the drink related trouble was in small towns. Kicked off in Mansfield Woodhouse apparently.

Sith Happens

It is a tough one. 

I would prefer people stick to the rules, everytime they break them it increases the chance of folk like me who are shielding having that extended.

that said, I was talking about it with my wife last night,  when I was young, late teens early twenties going out was my life so do I think the 20 year old me would have stuck to the rules, I would love to say yes but you know I can't put my hand on my heart and say with all honesty I would. 

I do think however while I was living under mum and dads roof I would have found it very difficult to break the rules which is more a reflection on them not me.

18 hours ago, King Kevin said:

So what's your day been like ? I went to my local which was supposed to be booked solid and it was absolutely dead .When to another pub which I won't name but was like a normal pub .

No social distancing just like it was before all this Covid 19 started .Wrong I know but it was brilliant .

I hope you don't develop a dry cough and breathing difficulties in the next week.

Sith Happens
7 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

I fancied a coffee yesterday as hadn't had one for ages. Drove to local town centre and the Costa was still shut, even though the pubs were all open. I guess the government don't make a packet out of non-alcoholic drinks though.

nope coffee shops can open 

1 minute ago, Paul71 said:

nope coffee shops can open 

Yeah seen another one open a while ago. Not sure why this one hasn't, perhaps they want to keep people furloughed.

My comment about pubs was more about the huge obsession to get pubs open again, but other industries and facilities barely get a mention. And drunk people clearly aren't going to social distance, you could expected pubs to be among the last thing to open, not the first.

The official government rules are that you can't be indoors with people from more than one other household. How the funk can they seriously have that rule, but also allow pubs to open? Number 10 tweeted out the household advice yesterday morning, but quickly deleted it.

Just been told by a local who lives there and was out yesterday that in Ripley, 6 people were arrested in Spoons, 3 before 11am for anti social behaviour and another 3 later on for coughing near tables 'for a laugh'. One member of the group was in his late 50s allegedly. Hope this is just rumour. Feel sick if it is true.

7 hours ago, King Kevin said:

You have know idea what I do or my wife regarding how we work or conduct our lives .Why don't you think before you post?

You're right, I've no idea about your wife, or how you conduct your lives.

But you said you thought it was brilliant that there was no social distancing even though you knew it was wrong.

I think it’s about finding a balance - trying to live your life but also respecting the measures in place and the needs of others.

I think it’s generally easy to do.

I wear a mask in shops, supermarkets and indoor places. I use hand sanitiser. I try to socially distance where possible. I am currently quarantining for two weeks after returning from Porto.

I do think it will become harder now we are starting to see places open up again like pubs and airports.

People are beginning to act on instinct and precautions are out of the window.

I think at this point all you can do is police your own behaviour.

Went for a 4 mile run deliberately choosing my route to take in the pubs I knew were open in my village. Looked pretty lame affair to be honest, a few people sitting outside on picnic benches and hardly anyone inside. A lot of the pubs near me have insisted on punters making a non refundable deposit of a tenner to reserve a table which it seems a lot of people have baulked at. 

32 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Went for a 4 mile run deliberately choosing my route to take in the pubs I knew were open in my village. Looked pretty lame affair to be honest, a few people sitting outside on picnic benches and hardly anyone inside. A lot of the pubs near me have insisted on punters making a non refundable deposit of a tenner to reserve a table which it seems a lot of people have baulked at. 

Can they use that tenner to pay for beer when they get there?

Sith Happens
36 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

3 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Can they use that tenner to pay for beer when they get there?

I would bloody hope so.

If im honest if capacity is limited and you are required to book a table i dont think ts a bad idea, profits are going to be reduced so to mitigate people booking a table and not bothering their arses turning up it seems a reasonable idea, provided of course you get to use it to spend when you get there.

Of couse walk ins should still be ok if tables are spare/you are happy to wait.

Spent mine in neonatal intensive care. Staying in a hospital hotel using 3 different outfits a day. 1 to travel across in. 1 to wear whilst win my daughter and 1 to wear on the way back. I wouldn't even dream on going to a pub at the minute. I dont even like going to the shop just incase I pass it on to any of the drs/nurses or god forbid mine or somebody else's already sick baby.

9 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I would bloody hope so.

If im honest if capacity is limited and you are required to book a table i dont think ts a bad idea, profits are going to be reduced so to mitigate people booking a table and not bothering their arses turning up it seems a reasonable idea, provided of course you get to use it to spend when you get there.

Of couse walk ins should still be ok if tables are spare/you are happy to wait.

We had 8 tables booked in the pub I work at, yesterday for the game, 3 turned up. 

Archived