Curtis Davies

Woodley Ram

I am impressed with Curtis, he knows his football, is articulate and intelligent. At the end of his contract I would love him to join the Rams coaching staff as I think he will be an asset, I hope he is taking his coaching badges. What do you think ?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At his age you would have to think that he’s started to consider what he’s going to do once he’s retired. If coaching is something he’s interested in pursuing, and Cocu would like him as part of his team, then I for one would be delighted if he stayed around. He’s always been a model pro and seems to have an excellent understanding of the game - I think he’d make a great coach.

2 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

At his age you would have to think that he’s started to consider what he’s going to do once he’s retired. If coaching is something he’s interested in pursuing, and Cocu would like him as part of his team, then I for one would be delighted if he stayed around. He’s always been a model pro and seems to have an excellent understanding of the game - I think he’d make a great coach.

He’s been doing a journalism degree the last few years. He’s said a few times he wants to move into that field. He had a blog about it too. I’ll see if I can dig it out. 

41 minutes ago, ThePrisoner said:

He’s been doing a journalism degree the last few years. He’s said a few times he wants to move into that field. He had a blog about it too. I’ll see if I can dig it out. 

A job with Ramstv it is then or possibly a replacement for Ramage at RD.

1 hour ago, ThePrisoner said:

Ah fair enough, that’s interesting. Suppose it’s a bit pointless talking about his coaching credentials if he’s got no interest in heading down that path then! Still, if he’s heading down the journalist route then I can see him as a sky pundit before too long - I think he’d be good at that too, he speaks very well.

3 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

Ah fair enough, that’s interesting. Suppose it’s a bit pointless talking about his coaching credentials if he’s got no interest in heading down that path then! Still, if he’s heading down the journalist route then I can see him as a sky pundit before too long - I think he’d be good at that too, he speaks very well.

Sky? He might want such job, but the competition is tough.  It is not easy to replace tactical geniuses and verbal acrobats like Owen or Shearer.

Got a lot of time for Curtis. His time with us has been a little stop-start but it strikes me that he's always been 100% committed and I hope he prospers whatever his future holds. Watching him bounce with the Derby fans and how much pleasure he took from the Leeds play-off game win was a joy to see.

FWIW, I don't believe that the fact that he was an 'old school' defender would in any way prevent him coaching a more modern style. He's clearly an intelligent guy and that's far more pertinent than his own technical ability as a player. I also think he'd make an excellent pundit too.

1 hour ago, enachops said:

Always amazes me how people think that because a player interviews well and speaks coherently, that this automatically means they will make a decent coach. 

He’ll make a good pundit. As for a coach, we have no idea! 

True and we have plenty of coaches don’t we?

15 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Got a lot of time for Curtis. His time with us has been a little stop-start but it strikes me that he's always been 100% committed and I hope he prospers whatever his future holds. Watching him bounce with the Derby fans and how much pleasure he took from the Leeds play-off game win was a joy to see.

FWIW, I don't believe that the fact that he was an 'old school' defender would in any way prevent him coaching a more modern style. He's clearly an intelligent guy and that's far more pertinent than his own technical ability as a player. I also think he'd make an excellent pundit too.

Yeh I've always had a love for Curtis - But I'm equally not that convinced he's 'old school' - I think he's had a long career and over the course of it the younger CBs coming through have become better footballers - But I remember when he was in his early 20s him being a much better ball player than the rest of the CBs he played with

Archived