Rolls Royce

sage

Been told that 3500 are being made redundant in Derby.

This and the knock on effect is going to be devastating for the city of Derby and surrounding areas.

If you have worked there for 20+ years and are in your 50s or 60s it may work out well but younger and newer employees are going to be in a bad place.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always been the same way, at least when I lived in the city.

Round of redundancies, then a period of growth, rinse and repeat.

It used to be the case that older workers would take the redundancy, with an enhanced package, knowing they'd be back in a years time on more money.

Not the case now I'd bet.

If people are made redundant, they're skilled up and live in an area where those skills are still relevant, and hopefully still in demand.

Still bad news mind.

RR not really learned the lessons of the past

After the RB211 thing nearly sent them under, they realised that they had to diversify in the engine market. So they made a massive effort to develop markets in Defence aerospace, Naval Marine, Commercial Marine, Civil nuclear, Turbine power energy generation and various other bits

The whole idea being to protect them from exposure if they see a downturn in any one of those markets. Kept them going after 9/11

But in the last 10 years they've sold their Energy business to Siemens, their Civil nuclear business to Westinghouse, Commercial marine business to Kongsberg - leaving them exposed in exactly the way they didn't want to happen again. And then some ?

They have seized a opportunity to get what they want ,a smaller workforce,reduced terms and conditions and to outsource to other countries.They have been actively trying to do this for the past couple of years but because of the workload were struggling to make headway.

If in six months time we have a vaccine or drugs to treat the virus them air travel will come flooding back.All this  three to five years is rubbish along with changing to greener power plants has there are currently non even close to being ready.

In six months they will be asking staff to do overtime, reinstating shifts and recruiting staff made redundant on agency contracts.

younger brother Moodhoover works for them having done one of those modern apprenticeships and worked his way up quite rapidly to a junior management grade.

married in 2018, mortgaged up to hilt, wife driving from near Coalville to stoke and back every day to a job that doesn't sound secure, so I hope he's ok.

father hoover lived through the rb211 thing and was part of a delegation that met tony benn who was shadow industry minister I think at the time. very worrying for the youngsters.

18 hours ago, sage said:

Been told that 3500 are being made redundant in Derby.

This and the knock on effect is going to be devastating for the city of Derby and surrounding areas.

If you have worked there for 20+ years and are in your 50s or 60s it may work out well but younger and newer employees are going to be in a bad place.

I've spoken about the company before, unfortunately I am one of the younger employees of RR. I've been a contractor for the last few of years, obviously one of the risks is minimal job security. I had no issues letting me go, it's the right thing to do as a business. My arguement I had with a senior who was on a group call was where's the skillset to replace people like me? I ended up training people with zero experience in my field of work for the last 4 weeks. It's turned into a mess behind the scenes sadly. Great company by the way it terms of the day to day staff, it's been a pleasure working for such a prestigious place.

Unfortunately as usual, the bottom line workers are suffering and there's still way too many middle managers. My team had it spot on. A team of 15 and 3 managers, one being at a more senior level. The team I was about to move to had more managers than actual support staff which is wrong. I didnt see many of these managers being furloughed either. I know it seems easy to fire frustration at management, they have tried to simplify the business which was desperately needed when I arrived. People kept trampling on other people's toe, doing the exact same work. What has really hacked me off is the attitude of the top line management, the likes of Mr East.

The company hae not identified key work skills during the coronavirus outbreak, which has lead current working staff having to diversify without proper training. My team made the company millions last year, we haven't seen one penny reinvested into more staff or new software. And that's the current attitude of the senior management, giving nothing back to employees. Everyone I spoke after that car crash of an interview was beyond ducked off. We've given that chap our backing when he arrived and in return, the top dogs are refusing to take any form of pay cut to secure more jobs.

I understand from a business point of view, some staff need to go because customers aren't flying. But 3,500 staff in Derby, not including the hundreds of contractors, are now being let go. Plenty of airlines have now announced when they will be back flying again. Short term planning and thinking about shareholders before staff. Sounds about right. It's incredibly sad.

19 minutes ago, SouthStandDan said:

I've spoken about the company before, unfortunately I am one of the younger employees of RR. I've been a contractor for the last few of years, obviously one of the risks is minimal job security. I had no issues letting me go, it's the right thing to do as a business. My arguement I had with a senior who was on a group call was where's the skillset to replace people like me? I ended up training people with zero experience in my field of work for the last 4 weeks. It's turned into a mess behind the scenes sadly. Great company by the way it terms of the day to day staff, it's been a pleasure working for such a prestigious place.

Unfortunately as usual, the bottom line workers are suffering and there's still way too many middle managers. My team had it spot on. A team of 15 and 3 managers, one being at a more senior level. The team I was about to move to had more managers than actual support staff which is wrong. I didnt see many of these managers being furloughed either. I know it seems easy to fire frustration at management, they have tried to simplify the business which was desperately needed when I arrived. People kept trampling on other people's toe, doing the exact same work. What has really hacked me off is the attitude of the top line management, the likes of Mr East.

The company hae not identified key work skills during the coronavirus outbreak, which has lead current working staff having to diversify without proper training. My team made the company millions last year, we haven't seen one penny reinvested into more staff or new software. And that's the current attitude of the senior management, giving nothing back to employees. Everyone I spoke after that car crash of an interview was beyond ducked off. We've given that chap our backing when he arrived and in return, the top dogs are refusing to take any form of pay cut to secure more jobs.

I understand from a business point of view, some staff need to go because customers aren't flying. But 3,500 staff in Derby, not including the hundreds of contractors, are now being let go. Plenty of airlines have now announced when they will be back flying again. Short term planning and thinking about shareholders before staff. Sounds about right. It's incredibly sad.

Circa 3000 RR personel who Make parts, Deliver parts and Assemble/Repair engines, Circa 10-11000 RR personel who Manage ie Senior/Junior, Procure, Office work, HR, Teach, Graduates abound on a secondment from other world Businesses, When I was there as a Senior Steward there were several different work practices negotiated which came with a pay rise.

Money was never a problem, If Management wanted something, Then put an offer on the table, Otherwise don't come knocking on my door, I've seen and heard of works and Management committing fraud, Very rarely were they sacked a move sideways, To another area, Or a final written, Absenteism was rife around 3% every week, My 1st day I was told "never have 1 week off sick, Always 2".

Management were seen as week, A new Manager was easy to get one over on, If you've done 20+years at RR and a new Manager comes along, He's not going to cause a problem, If they do, Then goods are slowed down.

There's a huge void between works and Management and getting wider by the day, I have old friends who are still there, Pretty sure they'll take VS if it's on.

RR Derby I'm sorry to have to say has had this coming for a good while, Before Covid-19 there was to be 2000 middle/lower Managers to be laid off, This 2000 is now in the 9000.

RR=Rest and Relax.

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

I believe RR mgt have had salaries cut by 20% and lower grade workers by 10%. No negotiation, no discussion, just done.

My best mate works there and he’s confirmed it’s happened to him. Anyone else confirm this?

It has.

1 hour ago, TramRam said:

Circa 3000 RR personel who Make parts, Deliver parts and Assemble/Repair engines, Circa 10-11000 RR personel who Manage ie Senior/Junior, Procure, Office work, HR, Teach, Graduates abound on a secondment from other world Businesses, When I was there as a Senior Steward there were several different work practices negotiated which came with a pay rise.

Money was never a problem, If Management wanted something, Then put an offer on the table, Otherwise don't come knocking on my door, I've seen and heard of works and Management committing fraud, Very rarely were they sacked a move sideways, To another area, Or a final written, Absenteism was rife around 3% every week, My 1st day I was told "never have 1 week off sick, Always 2".

Management were seen as week, A new Manager was easy to get one over on, If you've done 20+years at RR and a new Manager comes along, He's not going to cause a problem, If they do, Then goods are slowed down.

There's a huge void between works and Management and getting wider by the day, I have old friends who are still there, Pretty sure they'll take VS if it's on.

RR Derby I'm sorry to have to say has had this coming for a good while, Before Covid-19 there was to be 2000 middle/lower Managers to be laid off, This 2000 is now in the 9000.

RR=Rest and Relax.

This culture is symbolic of British manufacturing in my eyes. We’re lazy and unproductive to put a carpet statement over it. Not everyone is, plenty of amazingly talented people out there but too many free loaders who exploit systems.

In my company we have long term sick paid at the full amount for 6 or 12 months. Guess what - we have 40% absenteeism at one king with Covid. Then once the two weeks were over, suddenly the colds appeared and then the mental health. Doctors will prescribe mental health notes incredibly easily in this country as their so scared of getting it wrong.

So those who are genuinely working and busting a gut are doing it to support those who are free loading. Then on top of this, you can’t even furlough long term sick. How stupid is that - so you have to furlough the genuine workers. Well how is the business supposed to keep ticking over in this scenario?

Sorry just makes me angry. Of course I wish our mgt would take a stronger line of action and just remove the sick pay benefit. The union will get an arse on, hell even strike, but they would look completely stupid if they did that in this day and age.

12 minutes ago, rammieib said:

This culture is symbolic of British manufacturing in my eyes. We’re lazy and unproductive to put a carpet statement over it. Not everyone is, plenty of amazingly talented people out there but too many free loaders who exploit systems.

In my company we have long term sick paid at the full amount for 6 or 12 months. Guess what - we have 40% absenteeism at one king with Covid. Then once the two weeks were over, suddenly the colds appeared and then the mental health. Doctors will prescribe mental health notes incredibly easily in this country as their so scared of getting it wrong.

So those who are genuinely working and busting a gut are doing it to support those who are free loading. Then on top of this, you can’t even furlough long term sick. How stupid is that - so you have to furlough the genuine workers. Well how is the business supposed to keep ticking over in this scenario?

Sorry just makes me angry. Of course I wish our mgt would take a stronger line of action and just remove the sick pay benefit. The union will get an arse on, hell even strike, but they would look completely stupid if they did that in this day and age.

I couldn't agree more, I had to defend the undefendable, HR and Management were seen as the enemy, I could quote chapter and verse our big green book back in the day...Ts and Cs negotiated way back from 1968, They struggled to know what how and when they could discipline someone, We were told by Very Senior Management that there needs to be new Ts and Cs, They were told a couple of years were needed to negotiate them.

Workers taking advantage of a system that's dated, It was there to protect the sick, Then self certification came along where you didn't need a Doctors sick note to prove you were ill, Then Political Correctness where a worker couldn't be challlenged, If they were then they were told they're out of procedure, It was loaded in favour of the shop floor worker.

Strike action is a long winded process, Meeting your members, Ballot your members, Give the company notice, By this time it's a case of who blinks 1st.

Not all British workers fall into this catagory i'm pleased to say.

The Union at this time are cornered and will have to accept the situation, No ifs buts or maybes...it is...Will be.

8 hours ago, TramRam said:

I couldn't agree more, I had to defend the undefendable, HR and Management were seen as the enemy, I could quote chapter and verse our big green book back in the day...Ts and Cs negotiated way back from 1968, They struggled to know what how and when they could discipline someone, We were told by Very Senior Management that there needs to be new Ts and Cs, They were told a couple of years were needed to negotiate them.

Workers taking advantage of a system that's dated, It was there to protect the sick, Then self certification came along where you didn't need a Doctors sick note to prove you were ill, Then Political Correctness where a worker couldn't be challlenged, If they were then they were told they're out of procedure, It was loaded in favour of the shop floor worker.

Strike action is a long winded process, Meeting your members, Ballot your members, Give the company notice, By this time it's a case of who blinks 1st.

Not all British workers fall into this catagory i'm pleased to say.

The Union at this time are cornered and will have to accept the situation, No ifs buts or maybes...it is...Will be.

Took us two months to furlough the am long term self isolators - we have seven as they wanted the union to sign off on everything. Cost us £30k that did alone.

Archived