Rolls Royce

sage

3 hours ago, rammieib said:

Thanks for clarifying. 

To be fair, first couple of months I’ve finished up quite comfortably and even now with a month of 80% pay and maternity I’m doing ok. 

As long as I have a job full time which is certainly not a guarantee then most people this shouldn’t be an issue as everyone’s outgoings have gone down.

Government just needs to get me and many others spending this money!!

Like they say every cloud has a silver lining, this may be the opportunity that the UK needs to resurrect it's manufacturing base skilled jobless looking for careers and business to start up-s and an errant distrust of China and it's products. BY and large British made products (and European) are better made than North American or Asian ones (with some exceptions) but it is not in the realms of possibilty to revive industry and start producing products that add value. 

I too am lucky my day job is stable at present and my business (unrelated) as benefitted from the present issues, although as my clients are mainly NHS trusts i have deliberately not milked the golden cow.

The better half works for RR.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SIXTEEN AGAIN said:

Like they say every cloud has a silver lining, this may be the opportunity that the UK needs to resurrect it's manufacturing base skilled jobless looking for careers and business to start up-s and an errant distrust of China and it's products. BY and large British made products (and European) are better made than North American or Asian ones (with some exceptions) but it is not in the realms of possibilty to revive industry and start producing products that add value. 

I too am lucky my day job is stable at present and my business (unrelated) as benefitted from the present issues, although as my clients are mainly NHS trusts i have deliberately not milked the golden cow.

The better half works for RR.

Fair play to you and good luck for your other half. I think we all know quite a lot of RR employees given 1 in 20 people in Derby work there approx.

I agree I would buy British all day long but only if prices were comparable. I manage procurement for my company and sadly prices from Uk suppliers for smaller volumenised components doesn’t stack up with Eastern Europe, let alone India/China.

8 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’m not too far away from Castle Donington and there has been a number of business developments near this area so no surprise the demand for housing is increasing.

Yep absolutely the continually increasing population is resulting in green belt being lost. 250k net migration increase every year. 

Just sad how easy it is for green belt land to keep disappearing ahead of brownfield being developed. Areas such as the old Ramarena which just lays dormant ground should be developed before fields are lost.

Hey!

Less of the old and dormant thank you very much!

Im just resting!

15 hours ago, rammieib said:

I’m not too far away from Castle Donington and there has been a number of business developments near this area so no surprise the demand for housing is increasing.

Yep absolutely the continually increasing population is resulting in green belt being lost. 250k net migration increase every year. 

Just sad how easy it is for green belt land to keep disappearing ahead of brownfield being developed. Areas such as the old Ramarena which just lays dormant ground should be developed before fields are lost.

The problem for Derby in terms of developing brownfield land, certainly for residential use, is that values don't stack up. The price of construction is the same in Manchester or Brum as it is here, but you can charge a much higher price. So unless you can apply economies of scale and build hundreds of homes, it's difficult to make money from it. So developers need large sites, of which we have very few. It's why DRI, Castleward happen, but smaller sites dont.

16 hours ago, rammieib said:

The business developments in CD and district are not green field sites at all. The huge Aldi distribution centre is on reclaimed land which was formerly Blue Circle/Hilton Gravel pits (I used to be water bailiff there in the 1970s and 1980s) and the Marks & Spencer distribution centre is on the land which used to be Castle Donington power station. Granted, the new housing development and the link road from Donington Park through to Trent Lane is on former agricultural land (pasture), but despite the fact that the new houses are just a few hundred yards from where I live, I welcome it.

Without those houses, there would have been no new road which basically bypasses the village. 

2900 homes being built from Sinfin/Stenson through to Chellaston, New junction from the A50 just down the road from the Ragley Boat Stop Restaraunt...I've Been passed the developement today...there doesn't seem to be much happening now, Doesn't seam to be much take up on the new land marked for industry on Infinity Park Way.

Archived