Telegraph Sport

Philmycock

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

If you don’t buy a paper, then using clickbait is the only way local journalism can survive and it’s not exclusive to the DET. Might be something to consider next time you can go to the shop, the DET is a local business that employs people locally too. Maybe support a local business through a difficult time that complain about it?

They used to have a great website with a very active forum. The website even had an archive of match reports going back over decades which was a superb resource. But they binned it all when PG objected to something one poster had said. That forum could be earning them a fortune now but instead it’s funding peroni consumption in Grimsby.

I think the standard of journalism is now poor.there’s a recent interview with Bradley Johnson on YouTube where he tells a story about a DET journalist making up a story about him wanting to go back to Norwich, which was apparently a total fabrication. After one match BJ refused to do the post match interview because it was with the same journo...Chris somebody. Rowett agreed that he didn’t have to do it. I noticed that not long after the interview appeared, the same journo ran another story about BJ on the DET website, trying to stir something up again (see below).

if no-one rates it, maybe that’s their own fault?

1 hour ago, TuffLuff said:

If you don’t buy a paper, then using clickbait is the only way local journalism can survive and it’s not exclusive to the DET. Might be something to consider next time you can go to the shop, the DET is a local business that employs people locally too. Maybe support a local business through a difficult time that complain about it?

The DET is basically an office at the bottom of Traffic st and that is all. The printworks were closed a few years ago and is all done in Notts now.

16 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The DET is basically an office at the bottom of Traffic st and that is all. The printworks were closed a few years ago and is all done in Notts now.

And it's owned by Mirror Trinity Group (May be wrong, can't be arsed to search) so hardly a local business. Like you say everything is outsourced now, including sales/advertising etc, it's even printed somewhere else.

Bubbles is a local firm, do I have to support them too d'ya think?

2 minutes ago, philmycocu said:

And it's owned by Mirror Trinity Group (May be wrong, can't be arsed to search) so hardly a local business. Like you say everything is outsourced now, including sales/advertising etc, it's even printed somewhere else.

Bubble's is a local firm, do I have to support them too d'ya think?

As long as you stay two metres apart and wash your hands?

12 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

It's exactly why the Athletic are going to run them out of business.

They'd already be out of business if they didn't do what they are doing.

How do you expect them to make money?

I agree, the site is a trainwreck, but it's pretty much the same as every other news site that isn't called the New York Times, living onm donations like The Guardian or behind a paywall. 

I used to read The Independent and that is just as bad with ads and on the rare occasions I've followed a link to the US-version of The Daily Mail it's insane with flashing ads everywhere.

And as for the clickbait and reusing articles, well, we've had this conversation before. Gerald Mortimer had to come up with one main story a day, maybe two. Now people are demanding multiple articles and there's just not that amount of relevant information.

They need traffic first and foremost and you generate that by content.

FWIW, I think Steve Nicholson is a good journalist doing a job in impossible times for reporters. 

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Another thing I’ve noticed in the last few months is how many DET articles have “Old boy” in the title when referring to former Rams. Very strange phrasing. 

Some of the cliches drive me nut.

'Rams swoop' for any transfer purchase

'On the double' for any player who scores two.

'Rams Eye' for any player we may be watching.

23 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Problem is, they aren’t failing. Their parent company’s desire is to make money from ad revenue, the journalism is second on the priorities at best. 

You’re right of course, but if people stop going because the thing is so disfunctional then it fails. Desire doesn’t equal result. It will fail unless the mechanics are fixed, regardless of the journalism. .. there are a number of news sites that are the same. As soon as I get one of those, what I call bouncers, I just leave. .. weird .. I mean what web designer, ad seller really thinks it works ? 

6 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

And as for the clickbait and reusing articles, well, we've had this conversation before. Gerald Mortimer had to come up with one main story a day, maybe two. Now people are demanding multiple articles and there's just not that amount of relevant information. 

I disagree.

I think people would be more likely to read if they came up with only 1 reliable article a season!

As it is, virtually every article is rubbish or regurgitated from elsewhere.

Archived