Rams 74/75

MickD

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to note upon looking at that season's fixtures. The only fixture to be a sell out or even close to one, was the last match against Carlisle, after the title was already won. 

It seemed to be packed on the Popside every week though. 

I can remember Dave Mackay saying that he had inherited a great team, and that he wanted to develop it so that the football we played got the fans out of their seats.

His team definitely had more flair than the previous championship winning team, and yes, it did get us out of our seats, even  those of us stood on the terraces!

8 hours ago, admira said:

Have we ever had three days like this since?

2020-04-17_1612.png

I was at both games.

The 5-2 away at Burnley was when we started singing,

"Were gonna win the League,

were gonna win the League

and now you're gonna believe us

and now you're gonna belieeeeeeeeeeve us...........

were gonna win the League, again".....

We are the Champions, champions of England.....

5 hours ago, ram59 said:

One thing to note upon looking at that season's fixtures. The only fixture to be a sell out or even close to one, was the last match against Carlisle, after the title was already won. 

A little bit of skullduggery on the turnstiles methinks......some games there was a copper on the pitch urging the Popside to move over to allow more people to be admitted to the ground....

13 hours ago, ram59 said:

Probably made up with freebies? 
I know for a fact my next door neighbour got a couple... his first attendance for years... and my very first game ever!

*It was all downhill from there, of course!  ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2020 at 14:03, TramRam said:

From...left to right.

Des Anderson, Dave Mackay, Roger Davis, Henry Newton, Sam Longson, Colin Boulton, Roy McFarland, Alan Hinton, Francis Lee, Ron Webster, David Nish, Peter Danial, Colin Todd, Steve Powell, Gordon Guthrie.

Front...Left to right

Rod Thomas, Bruce Rioch, Archie Gemmil, Kevin Hector.

Has Steve Powell just come from an audition for the professionals?

On 18/04/2020 at 00:24, uttoxram75 said:

A little bit of skullduggery on the turnstiles methinks......some games there was a copper on the pitch urging the Popside to move over to allow more people to be admitted to the ground....

Can remember that with Liverpool in the cup '76 run  Queued for over 2 hours before the game (yes you could turn up with mates straight from the boozer and go to the game together!) Kept asking everyone to take a step to the right. Whatever they said was in the ground that day add a few thousand.

Some of those turnstile operators must have been in Cortina Ghia s!!  Popside in full voice 'Keegan Keegan Shut Your Mouth Keegan Shut Your Mouth'  Been giving it large on tv  Muppet

On 17/04/2020 at 18:04, MickD said:

I’m sure Roger rememberers the game at Stamford Bridge when he dribbled through the whole Chelsea team, round the keeper, Bonnetti?, and fell over on the goal line.

I was there.  ?

He got a custard pie on Tiswas for that miss! I think they showed the whole clip.

On 18/04/2020 at 00:21, uttoxram75 said:

I was at both games.

I was there as well I remember Burnley throwing darts and even an hammer at us . But a brilliant time to be a Derby fan

On 18/04/2020 at 00:21, uttoxram75 said:

I was at both games.

Yep, remember it well. Away at Burnley was a great day. A goodly amount of scrapping on the side terrace (not saying that was good, just that it happened) Great turnout, great performance, impressive convoy of busses after (always like to see that) and yes a feeling that we were going to do it. Burnley were a good side at that time, probably top six, it was a tough fixture but we outclassed them.

6 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Yep, remember it well. Away at Burnley was a great day. A goodly amount of scrapping on the side terrace (not saying that was good, just that it happened) Great turnout, great performance, impressive convoy of busses after (always like to see that) and yes a feeling that we were going to do it. Burnley were a good side at that time, probably top six, it was a tough fixture but we outclassed them.

Buses and vans!  Never see vans now!! Used to all pile in a builders grotty old Transit (he never drank) call in a few boozers, with more supplies in the van. Get to the ground pile out and there'd be loads more vans. Not much elf and safety in those days, all rolling around in the back

Archived