Zak, the club and RamsTV

IslandExile

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
36 minutes ago, BOB BIGGS said:

In and around 1965-1968, there was a very average football-related TV series called "United". One of the players, Zack Bishop, was called "The King" by his team mates.

The players at Derby bestowed the honour on our own King Kev...hence "Zak" or "Zack".

I didn't know that. His daughers were at our school, and they had a dog called Zak - but I was never sure if the dog was named after the nickname or the nickname was named after the dog. Now I Know

9 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I mentioned the lack of a testimonial for Kevin Hector in an earlier post here, but I notice that this item on the MACE website mentions a testimonial for him in 1977

Slightly before my time, but does anyone remember this?

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-10051977-football-vandals-attack-houses

Pretty certain I went to that against forest , evening match or is my memory poor?

4 minutes ago, Archied said:

Pretty certain I went to that against forest , evening match or is my memory poor?

Yes that's right. Monday, but i think it wasn't the showpiece it should have been as we had played West Ham(away) the Saturday before and then played QPR two days after at the BBG also Forest were in a promotion scrap from Division 2 so they were hardly likely to field a full strength side out.

10 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

I mentioned the lack of a testimonial for Kevin Hector in an earlier post here, but I notice that this item on the MACE website mentions a testimonial for him in 1977

Slightly before my time, but does anyone remember this?

https://www.macearchive.org/films/atv-today-10051977-football-vandals-attack-houses

Aye, it's coming back to me. It was during the "violent era".

I remember it for one thing.....a Forest fan, won't mention his name but it rhymes with Carrot, was thrown out of the ground three times.

I was in the popside. Saw him marched out. Then a while later, marched out again, struggling this time. Someone shouted "he's been past here before". The third time they had to carry him out, kicking and biting.

Edit: This guy...

https://www.macearchive.org/films/central-news-east-04061990-paul-scarrott

Perhaps we should start a campaign to get him another one!

testimonials seem to be a thing of the past. 

Hinton’s I remember. A capacity crowd v Tommy doc 11. The doc used the opportunity to play jimmy greenhoff who he was trying to sign for United. Coppell played. Tommy Smith too? 

27 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Perhaps we should start a campaign to get him another one!

testimonials seem to be a thing of the past. 

Hinton’s I remember. A capacity crowd v Tommy doc 11. The doc used the opportunity to play jimmy greenhoff who he was trying to sign for United. Coppell played. Tommy Smith too? 

There’s plenty of testimonials still. BT Sport show a lot during summer. Just no one stays at a club long enough these days. 

I remember a testimonial, just can't remember who's, where the current team of the time played an all stars team of ex players. I don't remember him ever having played for us but George Best played!

I remember Franny Lee getting "fouled" in the area when there wasn't a player within 10 yards of him. The referee actually put his whistle in his mouth to blow for the penalty before thinking better of it. 

Can anyone throw me a lifeline and tell me who's testimonial it was?

10 minutes ago, richinspain said:

I remember a testimonial, just can't remember who's, where the current team of the time played an all stars team of ex players. I don't remember him ever having played for us but George Best played!

I remember Franny Lee getting "fouled" in the area when there wasn't a player within 10 yards of him. The referee actually put his whistle in his mouth to blow for the penalty before thinking better of it. 

Can anyone throw me a lifeline and tell me who's testimonial it was?

David Nish 1979. 

I’m surprised David Nish got a testimonial.
I thought you had to have played 10 years for one club.

i seem to remember one testimonial when Addison was manager when the ex-rams thrashed the first team 3-1 

was that the nish game?

Archived