Zak, the club and RamsTV

IslandExile

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I’m surprised David Nish got a testimonial.
I thought you had to have played 10 years for one club.

i seem to remember one testimonial when Addison was manager when the ex-rams thrashed the first team 3-1 

was that the nish game?

Yes

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, IslandExile said:

Aye, it's coming back to me. It was during the "violent era".

I remember it for one thing.....a Forest fan, won't mention his name but it rhymes with Carrot, was thrown out of the ground three times.

I was in the popside. Saw him marched out. Then a while later, marched out again, struggling this time. Someone shouted "he's been past here before". The third time they had to carry him out, kicking and biting.

Edit: This guy...

https://www.macearchive.org/films/central-news-east-04061990-paul-scarrott

Yes fortunately no longer of this Parish.

Mysteriously fell over in Spain in 1996

Britain's most notorious soccer yob, Paul Scarrott, died a penniless drunk in Spain, it was revealed yesterday.

The 40-year-old Nottingham Forest hooligan spent his last months living under a false name and begging from tourists in Barcelona.

He died after falling over in the street following a massive drinking binge.

Scarrott, who was jailed 13 times for soccer violence, had been calling himself Paul Cooper. The British consulate unwittingly gave him money from a charity box when he went to them for help.

An official said it wasn't until after his death that Scarrott, from Calverton, Notts, was identified from a tattoo inside his lip.

16 hours ago, bimmerman said:

nah,the club have just organised a couple of pints down the joiners instead...

14 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

Getting him a commemoratively inscribed lamp post

Not the sort of thing that should really be celebrated in my opinion... I hope Keogh takes a back seat!

Another player who I think may have issues is Bruce Rioch. 

I understand he lives a long way away, in Falmouth? But he doesn’t even seem to do autographed memorabilia like many ex players.

Not to blaspheme, but according to wikipedia he scored 155 in 486 appearences, which isn't a remarkable ratio.

What is it that makes him so popular? The most appearances ever? The clubs he appeared against? As a younger fan I'd love to know what made him special

50 minutes ago, ITSD said:

Not to blaspheme, but according to wikipedia he scored 155 in 486 appearences, which isn't a remarkable ratio.

What is it that makes him so popular? The most appearances ever? The clubs he appeared against? As a younger fan I'd love to know what made him special

1 in 3 over nearly 500 games isn't that bad in my opinion, especially when the vast majority were in the first division. Roughly 15 a season on average isn't at all bad.

54 minutes ago, ITSD said:

Put it in context.

Goals scored generally were much lower before the three points for a win era.

Clough built his team on a sound defence, not an all out attack.

With George/Davies and Lee up front, Hector played a wider role.

In his second spell, he mostly played in midfield.

3 hours ago, ITSD said:

Apart from the goals and appearances you have to remember that Zak was signed by Tim Ward when we were languishing in the bottom reaches of the second division for the then vast sum of £40,000 (I think). He started fantastically well and by the time Sir Brian came was already the star of the team.

What then happened was that a team of stars was built around (or alongside) him but he never lost the love of the crowd.

He had a wonderful style. So graceful in how he ran over the mud - he glided - he was not only deadly in front of goal but he was also the ultimate team player, bringing others into the game with a pass. If you want a good example of how good he was at scoring watch the Benfica match on RamsTV and his goal in that.

I don't know whether he's fallen or fell out with the club - you hear stories both ways - but I prefer to believe that he is now what he was then, modest to a fault about his ability and place in our history. You never heard anything bad about Kevin when he was playing or after. He always seems to be a private man.

If anyone thinks he has any argument against Derby then there were many stronger reasons why he could and should have been aggrieved about the way he was treated by a succession of England managers.  For several years he was streets ahead of anyone else in England in his position (including Alan Clarke). That's how good he was.

A special player in two special Derby teams.

10 hours ago, ITSD said:

Lots will come on to tell you , best I can do is say you had to be there , your gonna be hard pushed to find a Derby fan that saw him win two titles with us and match the best in Europe have a bad word to say about a special player for Derby

It can be very hard to describe a player and really communicate that special quality or charisma that made them great. 
I liked Frank McLintock’s description of Charlie George. He said he could pass like beckenbauer and shoot like bobby Charlton, but if you never saw beckenbauer or Charlton then that won’t mean anything to you.

as for Hector, I like gerald Mortimer’s report of his home debut. A 4-3 win? V Huddersfield. He said that although Alan Durban scored a hat-trick, all anyone could talk about was Hector. And if you saw Hector, then you’d know why.

as @ilkleyram says, he was beautifully balanced. Also he always seemed so calm. I can’t remember him ever getting mad or frustrated.  
He was just a wonderful player, and he was OUR player.

3 minutes ago, IslandExile said:

Look at the 'goals for' columns in the league tables from the 1970s compared to more recent seasons.

No, No.  If it's fact, I'm more than happy to trust your word.  ?

In all honesty, I assumed it was more (your) opinion, which is obviously now not the case, and wondered why that would be.

I can only assume this is purely coincidental, and not directly linked to the 3 points per win?  ?‍♂️

... Actually... trying to look at it logically, I'd have thought the extra point would have had the opposite effect.  More likely to try to hold on to a 1-0 lead for "that extra (3rd) point".  Let's face it, if that 1-0 lead is lost, it now takes two future draws to pull that ("2 points lost") back, as opposed to the previous one draw needed?  (Hope that makes sense... well, it does to me! ?)

Hey... That's only what I would have guessed... which is clearly the wrong guess!  What do I know!  (Don't answer that!  ?)

??

Archived