Zak, the club and RamsTV

IslandExile

1 minute ago, Mucker1884 said:

No, No.  If it's fact, I'm more than happy to trust your word.  ?

In all honesty, I assumed it was more (your) opinion, which is obviously now not the case, and wondered why that would be.

I can only assume this is purely coincidental, and not directly linked to the 3 points per win?  ?‍♂️

... Actually... trying to look at it logically, I'd have thought the extra point would have had the opposite effect.  More likely to try to hold on to a 1-0 lead for "that extra (3rd) point".  Let's face it, if that 1-0 lead is lost, it now takes two future draws to pull that ("2 points lost") back, as opposed to the previous one draw needed?  (Hope that makes sense... well, it does to me! ?)

Hey... That's only what I would have guessed... which is clearly the wrong guess!  What do I know!  (Don't answer that!  ?)

??

It was my opinion - just the impression I had that there were more goals per game nowadays.

I've tried searching for 'facts' to back it up and the nearest evidence in one place I could find was this...

https://www.worldfootball.net/stats/eng-premier-league/1/

Seems a big variation. Quite interesting.

You may be right about 3 points for a win. However, my view on that is that it's the best thing Jimmy Hill came up with....I think teams do attack more as a consequence. There seemed to be a lot more bore draws but that might be my faded memory too.

I also think what had a detrimental effect on attacking football was Alf Ramsey's England winning the world cup without wingers.

Anyhow, it was just an opinion. I think Hector's 15 goals/season rated very highly at the time whereas now people would expect such top strikers to be delivering over 20.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, ITSD said:

Not to blaspheme, but according to wikipedia he scored 155 in 486 appearences, which isn't a remarkable ratio.

What is it that makes him so popular? The most appearances ever? The clubs he appeared against? As a younger fan I'd love to know what made him special

We bought King Kev from today’s equivalent to a league 2 strugglers, a Macclesfield if you like. Not only did he have the skill and talent to acquit himself with a club two levels higher (today’s championship) he went on produce the goods in the equivalent of the Premier League for us playing against the cream of the country’s best and often crude and cynical defenders.

A proper team player, Hector was a joy to watch, he really earned the respect and admiration of fans of a certain age, there were many occasions the country’s best defenders just couldn’t live with him, he really was that good a player, him and old barrel chest (John O’Hare) used to run riot some Saturday’s.

It certainly was a great time to be a ram. 

7 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

We bought King Kev from today’s equivalent to a league 2 strugglers, a Macclesfield if you like. Not only did he have the skill and talent to acquit himself with a club two levels higher (today’s championship) he went on produce the goods in the equivalent of the Premier League for us playing against the cream of the country’s best and often crude and cynical defenders.

A proper team player, Hector was a joy to watch, he really earned the respect and admiration of fans of a certain age, there were many occasions the country’s best defenders just couldn’t live with him, he really was that good a player, him and old barrel chest (John O’Hare) used to run riot some Saturday’s.

Yes, and he seemed to make it look easy. 

On 11/04/2020 at 19:05, ITSD said:

Not to blaspheme, but according to wikipedia he scored 155 in 486 appearences, which isn't a remarkable ratio.

What is it that makes him so popular? The most appearances ever? The clubs he appeared against? As a younger fan I'd love to know what made him special

Kevin Hector was already here and making a name for himself when Clough and Taylor arrived. When asked what could they do to improve star man Hector's game Taylor without hesitation said they would teach him the value of a goal. Meaning he would probably only have to score one goal to win a game as opposed to two or three and lose as he had been doing at Bradford. There were more than just goals to Hector's game. 

On 11/04/2020 at 19:05, ITSD said:

By now, I'm sure you will have seen Youtube footage of his goals and assists, most at the highest level of UK and European football over several seasons. If you were lucky enough to be a Derby County fan at that time, you could be excused for thinking that football was a very easy game to play. The likes of Hector, McFarland, Nish, Todd and George [and many others] oozed class. They made passing and controlling the ball appear to be the easiest thing in the world. Little did we know what was to follow, with the occasional exception.

These players were international class. Playing for Derby held them [and others] back. We were grateful for their loyalty. They were a joy to watch for most of the time.

You will have favourite players at present. We have some good young lads coming through. If any of them get to the level of some of those mentioned, they are unlikely to be at Derby for long unfortunately as they will be among the best players in the Premier League.

So, in a nutshell and to answer your question, Kevin Hector was the first part of the jigsaw that would eventually make us the best team in England. He revolutionised Derby County on his own at first, along with Alan Durban's assistance. Saturday afternoons would never be the same.

Yes, he was that good?

So Mel, get the king a statue.

Make him guest of honour at the next game - whenever that is.

And @OwenB87 please try and get him on RamsTV.

And put up a show reel.

And can we have more games from the 70s for the Matchday Relived feature - educate these youngsters.

(Can we also have games with commentary, synchronized sound and a plain background wallpaper - as much as I love the Ram, it's driving my eyes crazy). Thanks ? 

PS you and Gibbo do a great job anyway but, right now, it's appreciated more than ever. Stay safe.

On 12/04/2020 at 12:16, IslandExile said:

It was my opinion - just the impression I had that there were more goals per game nowadays.

I've tried searching for 'facts' to back it up and the nearest evidence in one place I could find was this...

https://www.worldfootball.net/stats/eng-premier-league/1/

Seems a big variation. Quite interesting.

You may be right about 3 points for a win. However, my view on that is that it's the best thing Jimmy Hill came up with....I think teams do attack more as a consequence. There seemed to be a lot more bore draws but that might be my faded memory too.

I also think what had a detrimental effect on attacking football was Alf Ramsey's England winning the world cup without wingers.

Anyhow, it was just an opinion. I think Hector's 15 goals/season rated very highly at the time whereas now people would expect such top strikers to be delivering over 20.

defenders and goalies had much more protection.  Offside rule favoured defences, defenders could assault attackers as long as they did so after 3 pm, goalies could pick up any time and as far as they were concerned it was a no contact sport.  

I went to an event at Quad a few years ago when young Nigel was manager and The Americans were running the show. It was to celebrate the best Rans XI as picked by the fans. 

Big Roger Davies hosted it with John Motson. Most of the chosen 11 were there ( Eranio couldnt make it) and I remember Alan Hinton telling the audience that he felt sad that Kevin didnt want anything to do with it!! 

Amazingly Dave Mackay was in the audience but not in the 11. 

On 12/04/2020 at 04:14, Pearl Ram said:

Came from Bradford Park avenue, scored 41 goals in his last season there.  Zak and Solly with crosses from Gladys were a force to be reckoned with.

Surely the best Rams team to date.

The guide I got my stats from has him down for 45 goals Mick, don’t know how reliable this is mind.

Tommy Spratt22

1962–63Div 34614122079974021stR1R3Kevin Hector19

1963–64Div 4461891975814513thR2R3Kevin Hector21

1964–65Div 446201798662577thR1R1Kevin Hector30

1965–66Div 44621520102924711thR1R2Kevin Hector45

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2020 at 18:08, King Kevin said:

The last Derby goal and the Kings second is what he was all about .Makes it look easy.

Cloughie's comment about Roger Davies after that game summed him up!

"Okay, so he scored a late hat-trick in a cup game....if he doesn't get one in his next league game I'll consider dropping him!"

On 30/04/2020 at 08:44, Brummie Steve said:

Cloughie's comment about Roger Davies after that game summed him up!

"Okay, so he scored a late hat-trick in a cup game....if he doesn't get one in his next league game I'll consider dropping him!"

My favourite ever Rams match....and I was very lucky to be there.Only a very last minute decision to go when my mate happened to be passing my house on his way to the station.Its scary to think I could have quite easily missed the match of my lifetime!

6 hours ago, Patrick Rams said:

My favourite ever Rams match....and I was very lucky to be there.Only a very last minute decision to go when my mate happened to be passing my house on his way to the station.Its scary to think I could have quite easily missed the match of my lifetime!

Those were the days when you could decide to go to a match on the day, no tickets, no fuss, turn up and pay at the gate. 

Archived