Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

It wouldn't have been too hard to avoid killing all those people in care homes. Then assuming that happened again, it would have been easy to be open and honest about it, making the death rates clearer for the general population.

The Cummings debacle showed contempt for normal people and I'm sure contributed to people ignoring the rules. Looked even more stupid to back his blatant lies that he left anyway a few months later. He never did provide his phone as evidence that he didn't go back up there, surely Johnson wasn't involved in this deception?

It also wouldn't have been too hard to have an emergency procurement process that didn't include funneling loads of cash to your mates so they could create companies to manufacture poor quality PPE?

Having a clear and honest communication strategy is surely not so hard too. You need to bring people with you so they trust you. Not continually changing your mind and leaking to the media before all announcements. Then provide little data or detail on how lockdown decisions are made by area. Or keeping Tory MP areas open when other areas have worse metrics. The hopeless hyperbole of world beating app and track and test was so cringe.

Putting out adverts saying Labour want to destroy the economy with another lockdown (as SAGE were advising) then locking down 2 weeks later was pathetic.

Also pathetic was bragging about shaking the hands of Covid patients as the body bags were piling up in Italy. There was loads of informed comment that we needed major restrictions then but we assumed our infamous British exceptionalism would make us immune.

But it was still a tough situation for any government to deal with. It was bad timing we ended up with a mix of incompetents and wacky radicals in charge. A small c conservative government would have been much better in a crisis than a narcissistic fraud. 

I agree but I was trying to look at it from a political perspective. I don't have any particular political allegiance but I wonder if a another government would actually have done things any different or better. The Cummings issue is a good example. I'm pretty sure there have been similar examples from all sides of the political spectrum. 

So my point is yes, there are without doubt, things that could/should have been done differently but we don't know if another party would have performed better.

34 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I agree but I was trying to look at it from a political perspective. I don't have any particular political allegiance but I wonder if a another government would actually have done things any different or better. The Cummings issue is a good example. I'm pretty sure there have been similar examples from all sides of the political spectrum. 

So my point is yes, there are without doubt, things that could/should have been done differently but we don't know if another party would have performed better.

I think managing a crisis isn't really a party political thing. I'm 99% sure Theresa May and her cabinet would have done a far better job than Johnson. Likewise Jeremy Hunt.

33 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Once again popurtaions do what they want by having a Christmas meal with 27 other people and then tried to cover it up by saying business meal this is total wrong they tell us we cant meet up in restaurants first chance they get they break the rules.

Lots of people using the business lunch as an excuse, not just politicians. They can't now as London is Tier 3 and restaurants are closed.

Was always a stupid loop hole.

4 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

My approach would have been brining in the leaders of the opposition into an inner circle and deliver a unified approach. This is not party political and hopefully (I know), they could rise above petty differences and delivered better solutions. I understand the arguments not to do that but this is an exceptional circumstance that has unfortunately turned into a point scoring exercise that serves nobody.

Would also have stopped the SNP shabbily weaponizing the pandemic for their own indy means before next year's May elections

1 hour ago, Angry Ram said:

Lots of people using the business lunch as an excuse, not just politicians. They can't now as London is Tier 3 and restaurants are closed.

Was always a stupid loop hole.

They never said were it was

But when general public not allowed to mix friend or family more should they be allowed too.

3 hours ago, I am Ram said:

I could go as forum representative, sit him and Mel down and get them both to Sheikh hands, done deal ?

I think @David has some money left in the budget for this, he hasn’t spent it on air travel for himself. Book it on your credit card and whack an expense form in. 

According to the Omni vaccine queue calculator, based on my profile there are between 18,074,125 and 20,748,685 people ahead of me in the queue and I can expect the vaccine between 24/4/21 and 12/5/21.

Never again will I be annoyed when on a call and being told I am number 24 in the queue and your call is very important to us. 

Do you reckon people who aren't vulnerable will even need a vaccine? Say if you are 21, healthy will they be a need for it considering everyone else will have already had one. With the rate of roll out probably would be lucky to get 1 in autumn next year so fortunately I won't need one really. 

54 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

According to the Omni vaccine queue calculator, based on my profile there are between 18,074,125 and 20,748,685 people ahead of me in the queue and I can expect the vaccine between 24/4/21 and 12/5/21.

Never again will I be annoyed when on a call and being told I am number 24 in the queue and your call is very important to us. 

That's actually quite soon when you think how many are ahead of you?

5 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I think managing a crisis isn't really a party political thing. I'm 99% sure Theresa May and her cabinet would have done a far better job than Johnson. Likewise Jeremy Hunt.

But despite it being so easy for everyone to manage it better, what suggestions have they made?

As far as I can see the Government have been backed by the 'opposition' every step of the way.

All Ive heard is 'fix track and trace'. Ok, how? Its easy just saying it but what is the solution?

Or

Lockdown. A strategy that has on at least 2 occasions now been proven not to work.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But despite it being so easy for everyone to manage it better, what suggestions have they made?

As far as I can see the Government have been backed by the 'opposition' every step of the way.

All Ive heard is 'fix track and trace'. Ok, how? Its easy just saying it but what is the solution?

Or

Lockdown. A strategy that has on at least 2 occasions now been proven not to work.

Johnson any his cronies haven't even bothered consulting the back benchers before many of their ill fated decisions and announcements.

If given the opportunity, back benchers and opposition MPs might have at least come up with ideas like "sack Cummings to avoid losing public trust", "don't ship people from hospitals into care homes without testing", "don't brag about shaking hands with covid patients when bodies are piling up in Italy", "don't tell people the app is world beating and crucial to getting out of lockdown, then launch it 3 months after lockdown ended and another one is needed", "don't slag off your political rivals for agreeing with Sage, then almost straight away do what they were saying anyway", "speak regularly to devolved nations and main cities and don't keep making centralised decisions without consulting them", "ignore your elitist background and stop treating the masses like fools by feeding them false hope to make yourself look popular" etc etc

Archived