Coronavirus

1of4

1 hour ago, Albert said:

I find it quite odd that some in the media have successfully convinced people that it's 'lives or the economy'. The fact that this has worked to even generated a 'debate' is grotesque on its own, but as shown, there really is no dichotomy. The countries that are recovering economically are the ones that are prevented the deaths.

I know you have been banging this drum for a long time now @Albert but I don't think you'll ever get through to people.

The rich owners of the right wing media don't even care if the economy gets screwed up as they'll clean up anyway. It's why they keep lying about climate change too.

Perhaps they can't attack the government for being hopeless, so attacking them for being too draconian could pave the way for a leader who loves "freedom" even more than Johnson used too. They need to make sure no one is ever elected who tries to do anything about fairer taxes, climate change, corruption etc.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Eddie said:

No.

I just asked because there seemed to be from early evidence that smokers seemed far less susceptible to Covid, in China at least, which would seem to go against all common sense.

23 minutes ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I just asked because there seemed to be from early evidence that smokers seemed far less susceptible to Covid, in China at least, which would seem to go against all common sense.

Yes, there was some evidence from patients in France and China, maybe Korea that this virus isn't a fan of nicotine in the blood. Makes it harder to grip on to cells or something .  Was a while ago.  If it was correct they probably wouldn't advertise it. Fags on the NHS would make quite a dent in tax revenue.

1 hour ago, reverendo de duivel said:

This study seems to refute that...

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/early/2020/08/20/tobaccocontrol-2020-055933

Conclusions

When assessed by self-report in a population sample, current smoking was independently associated with increased odds of confirmed COVID-19 infection. There were socio-economic disparities, with the association only apparent among those without post-16 qualifications. Smokers reported lower adherence to guidelines despite being more worried than non-smokers about catching or becoming seriously ill from COVID-19. Many smokers reported smoking more than usual, and COVID-19-related stress was associated with increased smoking, particularly among those with no post-16 qualifications.

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

Is it a coincidence that 4 out of the 5 countries that have the highest death count (US, India, Brazil and UK) have right wing populist governments?

Mexico is the other country in the top 5 and I have no clue what their government is because I think it's always coalitions and I'm too lazy to look it up.

Of course, that's all presumning China and Russia aren't lying about their numbers, which would hardly be surprising. 

Now do per capita. 

3m cancer screenings missed since March ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8830621/Lung-cancer-referrals-50-symptoms-similar-Covid-19-experts-claim.html

Cancer Research UK has estimated that around 3million people in the UK have missed out on cancer screening since the end of March. 

And more than 350,000 people who would normally be urgently referred to hospital with suspected cancer symptoms weren't. 

The charity fears up to 35,000 extra deaths may be caused by cancer because hospitals cancelled virtually all procedures, including check-ups and operations, to cope with the coronavirus crisis when it struck. 

The issue adds to growing concern about the indirect impact of the pandemic on non-Covid health.

Official predictions suggest nearly 75,000 people will die over the next five years as a result of lockdown, including many who have missed procedures and hospital appointments due to disruption to the NHS.

2 hours ago, maxjam said:

3m cancer screenings missed since March ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8830621/Lung-cancer-referrals-50-symptoms-similar-Covid-19-experts-claim.html

Cancer Research UK has estimated that around 3million people in the UK have missed out on cancer screening since the end of March. 

And more than 350,000 people who would normally be urgently referred to hospital with suspected cancer symptoms weren't. 

The charity fears up to 35,000 extra deaths may be caused by cancer because hospitals cancelled virtually all procedures, including check-ups and operations, to cope with the coronavirus crisis when it struck. 

The issue adds to growing concern about the indirect impact of the pandemic on non-Covid health.

Official predictions suggest nearly 75,000 people will die over the next five years as a result of lockdown, including many who have missed procedures and hospital appointments due to disruption to the NHS.

Which is why having the aim of forcing the numbers to zero, or close to, was so important. Opening up doesn't fit this problem, only alleviating the risk of Covid spreading, hence reducing hospitalisation. 

A sad state of affairs, and another dreadful knock on effect of not getting things under control, and in effect, more lives given away in this rush to open up. 

21 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Hadn't thought of it too now, but perhaps that is why Australia and New Zealand are doing so well. Whilst cough and sneeze particulates over here quickly fall and settle on to humans and surfaces, down under it falls into the sky. 

albert einstein GIF

Now I know why my head hurts after a big session on the turps.

let’s not let the truth get in the way of a good bit of scaremongering.

10 pm ITV news stated that Blackpool Victoria Hospital is now full of COVID patients.

Truth-  The “allocated” beds for Covid patients are full. Which is 8.
From a total bed capacity of 767

5 hours ago, Albert said:

Which is why having the aim of forcing the numbers to zero, or close to, was so important. Opening up doesn't fit this problem, only alleviating the risk of Covid spreading, hence reducing hospitalisation. 

A sad state of affairs, and another dreadful knock on effect of not getting things under control, and in effect, more lives given away in this rush to open up. 

Geez, change the record.

The UK, like many other countries was never going to get zero infection due to a multitude of factors discussed previously.

Even in the model covid country that is apparently Australia, cancer screenings are down;

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cancer-screening-rates-plummet-during-pandemic-20201007-p562u5.html

1 minute ago, maxjam said:

Geez, change the record.

The UK, like many other countries was never going to get zero infection due to a multitude of factors discussed previously.

Even in the model covid country that is apparently Australia, cancer screenings are down;

https://www.smh.com.au/national/cancer-screening-rates-plummet-during-pandemic-20201007-p562u5.html

Again, it's amazing you believe so little in the competency of the UK. 

Australia is also no 'model' country, it's just done a somewhat competent job overall. As discussed though, Victoria did drop the ball. 

You'll also note that the article does show that things have begun to return to some kind of normality, except in Victoria. This shows the benefits I previously discussed. 

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

The truth will set you free. Always.

E12F7571-F4D6-44CA-8F57-5E1B2A80F7A9.jpeg

Pathetic chart. Why is the last 6 weeks mapped against the 6 weeks beginning 13th March? What has 3rd September got in common with 13th March?

If the first of October was mapped against 13th March, then the situation would look terrifying.

1 hour ago, TexasRam said:

The truth will set you free. Always.

E12F7571-F4D6-44CA-8F57-5E1B2A80F7A9.jpeg

Not really surprising, and a bit of a weird way to compare. There are controls now, you expect the second wave to not takeoff as fast, this is also seen in the rate at which new cases are occurring. The second wave is rising, but slower, so the same will be seen in deaths. 

15 minutes ago, Albert said:

Again, it's amazing you believe so little in the competency of the UK. 

Australia is also no 'model' country, it's just done a somewhat competent job overall. As discussed though, Victoria did drop the ball. 

You'll also note that the article does show that things have begun to return to some kind of normality, except in Victoria. This shows the benefits I previously discussed. 

Cool, then Australia has made the most of the advantages the UK doesn't have - such as not having 1m people passing through it every single day.  Apart from Victoria that is, which is apparently living under some of the most draconian lockdown restrictions in the world.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/it-just-feels-surreal-military-posted-checkpoints-australian-state-extends-n1237068

Its almost as though one size doesn't fit all.

Archived