Coronavirus

1of4

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Good glad to know that we are holding everyone to the same standards and I look forward to your calls for Jeremy Corbyn to resign.

If Corbyn had broke rules like Cumminds did, then blatantly lied about it, then of course he should resign.

I'm not so much of a snowflake to demand that politicians should resign for minor infringements. People make mistakes.

I'd probably have forgiven Cummins if he had shown remorse, admitted to doing wrong and properly apologised. 

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, sage said:

The vast majority of people who catch is by breathing in droplets, so masks are the most important factor, but only if everyone does it. Would you feel confident seeing your Mum whilst wearing a mask out of interest?

Good question. If I did see her I would definitely wear a mask and keep my distance. I would leave all the decisions up to her though. She needs to feel comfortable and safe. 

Just now, Cardinal said:

Good question. If I did see her I would definitely wear a mask and keep my distance. I would leave all the decisions up to her though. She needs to feel comfortable and safe. 

As I understand it masks stop you giving it other people more than they protect yourself. Hence my indignation at people who don't wear them where they should. Like drink driving.   

5 minutes ago, sage said:

so while you were doing all the things you listed you could have had it? as 80% of people infected show mild or no symptoms? 

I guess I could have yes? Does that make me a bad person for doing all those things? 

I am certainly not going out with the intention of catching it and passing it on and if someone who was vulnerable was not comfortable seeing me because I have been out and about then I would respect and understand that decision completely. 

Just now, Cardinal said:

I guess I could have yes? Does that make me a bad person for doing all those things? 

I am certainly not going out with the intention of catching it and passing it on and if someone who was vulnerable was not comfortable seeing me because I have been out and about then I would respect and understand that decision completely. 

If you wore a mask when around others at all times then no.

13 minutes ago, alexxxxx said:

Yeah basically been underreporting cases for past 10d or so. 

Graph doesn't look so rosy now unfortunately. 

Screenshot_20201004_221610_com.android.chrome.png

Jeysus wept!!!!

Isn’t this that Dido clowns brief?

If it wasn’t people’s health I’d post the laughing monkey!

2 hours ago, Cardinal said:

Is the risk factor not similar to driving a car though. We all quite happily get in a car without much consideration but there is a risk you could have an accident and cause harm to other people. And in some of those cases the person may fall into a vulnerable category. We take steps to reduce that risk, eg. Speed limits, Seat belts, etc. Can we not take the same approach with this, eg. Wash hands, wear a mask. 

I saw your posts about having swine flu and needing to be extra careful due to this. I sympathise with your situation. I haven't seen my mum since Christmas because she falls into the vulnerable category. I speak to her regularly and she is terrified of going out. And I don't think she will until a vaccine is available. Its hard to hear. And frustrating when based on my experience it appears not that easy to catch if you take the right steps. 

I saw posts as well about the whole suicide vs covid deaths and how no poster knew anyone to commit suicide. Just to provide balance to that argument, my sister is a GP in the North East. Three of her patients at her practice have committed suicide in the last 3 months. That is compared to one on average every 3 years. Know its not on the same scale but just thought I would add that perspective. 

Other people wearing masks is a good thing, but other people not wearing seat belts is their lookout. 

As far as the risk of covid-19 being similar to driving a car, if we had had 50,000 excess deaths in three months through people driving dangerously, or for that matter from people being poisoned by exhaust fumes, cars would have been banned long ago.

I do go out once a week for a trip around the supermarket, and I'm not too concerned because everyone is wearing a mask (luckily, Boris's dad doesn't shop where I do). I love going to pubs, but there is absolutely no way you would get me in one at the moment because good sense and consideration for the well-being of others is soluble in alcohol.

I also appreciate that depression and suicide is a serious problem. My wife was going absolutely stir-crazy when this started, and I know that it's going to be a long, horrible winter (she suffers badly from Seasonal Affected Disorder).

12 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Other people wearing masks is a good thing, but other people not wearing seat belts is their lookout. 

As far as the risk of covid-19 being similar to driving a car, if we had had 50,000 excess deaths in three months through people driving dangerously, or for that matter from people being poisoned by exhaust fumes, cars would have been banned long ago.

I do go out once a week for a trip around the supermarket, and I'm not too concerned because everyone is wearing a mask (luckily, Boris's dad doesn't shop where I do). I love going to pubs, but there is absolutely no way you would get me in one at the moment because good sense and consideration for the well-being of others is soluble in alcohol.

I also appreciate that depression and suicide is a serious problem. My wife was going absolutely stir-crazy when this started, and I know that it's going to be a long, horrible winter (she suffers badly from Seasonal Affected Disorder).

When will those 50,000 excess deaths be considered the past and no longer the now? When will you start using the past 12 weeks which shows no excess deaths?

I appreciate you still see this as a risk, and that’s fair enough but at some point the narrative generally of excess deaths is no longer the actual threat now.

4 minutes ago, rammieib said:

When will those 50,000 excess deaths be considered the past and no longer the now? When will you start using the past 12 weeks which shows no excess deaths?

I appreciate you still see this as a risk, and that’s fair enough but at some point the narrative generally of excess deaths is no longer the actual threat now.

When we don't see an increase in excess deaths based on the recent uplift in cases.

Hopefully the deaths won't happen this time around.

The huge unknown is where are we at now compared to where we were at earlier in year, if we had been testing in the same way. If it's mid-march, maybe we'll be ok. If it's late Jan, we could be in trouble.

Just now, rammieib said:

With the current case numbers increasing - if not exactly out of control again but certainly significantly, I hope that we won't be seeing numbers like that again. It's quite likely, of course, that the excess deaths between March and May were wholly (or mostly) caused by the ridiculous decision to ship elderly patients, largely untested, out of hospital wards and back into care homes where it spread like wildfire.

9 hours ago, Cardinal said:

To be fair I never said I want it to burn through the population. I am questioning how it is spreading so much when all you need is soap and water to kill it! As I say I have managed to go about as much as I normally can and haven't caught it. 

I wasn't comparing the severity of it to other diseases either. Again just questioning if we reported other figures on a daily basis while driving fear into the population around those said figures would we be require to change behaviour? 

It's an airborne disease, just washing your hands isn't enough to prevent that. Masks can help reduce the rate of spread, but for best effect everyone needs to be wearing them. 

As to you not catching it, statistically speaking you could go around licking lampposts and still not have caught it. The upper estimates of how much of the UK has caught it to this point is under 10% (including asymptomatic cases). While it's good you have good personal hygiene, and this no doubt would have helped somewhat, luck plays a big role in not catching it too. 

In Australia they do indeed drive the road toll figures into us. Every death is major news, and they put it up on banners to remind us the dangers on the roads. Australia has a relatively worse road toll than the UK though. 

As to the Flu, honestly, given how low the numbers are overall, you'd be having a hardtime trying that. The problem with this disease, and why it's worth publicising where people have caught it, is that if it gets out of control again it will knock over the NHS. As long as the numbers are up as well, other health concerns cannot be dealt with appropriately, which further increases the health burden. This is before getting into the long term effect of Covid, which we're only beginning to determine. 

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

With the current case numbers increasing - if not exactly out of control again but certainly significantly, I hope that we won't be seeing numbers like that again. It's quite likely, of course, that the excess deaths between March and May were wholly (or mostly) caused by the ridiculous decision to ship elderly patients, largely untested, out of hospital wards and back into care homes where it spread like wildfire.

I’m hoping we will soon find out how many recent cases are University students. My suspicion these (5000 plus 15,000) will heavily be students who whilst they have the possible risk of onwards transfer will have nothing more than a cold and it’s therefore good for the immunity position.

It really does change the comparison with the worst case scenario. Remember, this isn't what's meant to happen, this is the worst case scenario if controls are unsuccessful. This is by sample date. 

image.thumb.png.069126f096f18ead2095e1cae0493796.png

The picture could continue to change in the coming days if the corrections keep coming. 

21 minutes ago, Albert said:

It really does change the comparison with the worst case scenario. Remember, this isn't what's meant to happen, this is the worst case scenario if controls are unsuccessful. This is by sample date. 

image.thumb.png.069126f096f18ead2095e1cae0493796.png

The picture could continue to change in the coming days if the corrections keep coming. 

Congratulations.

The longest innings against by an Australian Vs Englishmen since Bradman.

It looks like Dominic Cummings was right and going on a journey in a car is the best way to treat someone with coronavirus. 

As the best doctors in the USA are using the same treatment by sending Trump on a trip around the hospital in a presidential vehicle.

4 hours ago, 1of4 said:

It looks like Dominic Cummings was right and going on a journey in a car is the best way to treat someone with coronavirus. 

As the best doctors in the USA are using the same treatment by sending Trump on a trip around the hospital in a presidential vehicle.

How's his eyesight? ?

Archived