Coronavirus

1of4

17 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

No because everyone who is in a serious condition and has coronavirus, it will be assumed that coronavirus is the cause. No one will consider or give time of day to the idea that maybe it's the underlying health issues. Why do they word them as underlying? That to me that is very dismissive. These underlying health issues as they constantly refer to them are probably very very serious and it's a disgrace that they refer to them as underlying. They are most likely the primary reason and to sweep them under the carpet as underlying is quite frankly disgusting.

I guess the point you are trying to make, but not helping your case with statements such as “possibly no more serious than the common cold” is that the 35 cases in the U.K may sadly have died anyway even if they hadn’t caught CV which, could well be true given the current low numbers of deaths in the U.K. but, I’m not sure that argument would stand up in China, Italy, Iran or Spain. What we don’t have (obviously) is a control group to indicate how many of the 1,809 in Italy would have died anyway.

I’ll try not to misquote you but, I’m sure you said that folk with critical conditions will be put at greater risk because of the governments policy. Exactly which policy were you referring to?

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hope things stay well with you all - take care, you've seen how crazy things can get.

ps have you any spare chickpeas? 

Just a balance,consultant says Corona virus would be bad but young people seem to be less susceptible.

As I’ve previously said,Joel is under infectious diseases as he can’t fight infection as well.

That Ward is twice over on capacity due to CV patients.

He’s wrapped in plastic?

Sith Happens
Just now, Van Cone De Head said:

Look after yourself mate.

And you....its a tough time as you well know keeping ourselves and loved ones safe

40 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

No because everyone who is in a serious condition and has coronavirus, it will be assumed that coronavirus is the cause. No one will consider or give time of day to the idea that maybe it's the underlying health issues. Why do they word them as underlying? That to me that is very dismissive. These underlying health issues as they constantly refer to them are probably very very serious and it's a disgrace that they refer to them as underlying. They are most likely the primary reason and to sweep them under the carpet as underlying is quite frankly disgusting.

Whether it is Coronavirus or not if you are admitted to hospital and need an ICU bed the problem is capacity. Countries such as Italy, France, Spain and Germany are all at breaking point and struggling to cope and with the crest of the wave yet to come they will not cope. Below are figures of ICU beds per  100,000 people taken from 2012, UK is actually nearer 5 than 6 after years of underfunding. So all those who have got "just a cold" will be ok whereas the ones who need a lot more care when and/if they are admitted will be in serious trouble. All in all NHS is very good, free, good service, good staff, great care but the S could also stand for shoestring as well. If the same pattern follows here (looks like it), we are about 7 to 10 days behind France, the NHS will be overwhelmed very quickly and that is the real problem not so much how virulent the virus is or what the cause of the admission is. 

image.png.3005e49c83402dd9565d6748748ed183.png

19 minutes ago, smiths_tavrn said:

Is this the same medical profession who are so quick to provide pills of all kinds for every ailment going to the population?

There you go again. You put a reasonable point of view forward, that many may still not agree with, but you undermine your case with comments like this one. 

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

The medical profession has said they can, yet you with your limited knowledge Dr Google know otherwise.

Without jumping to Smiths Tavrn to enthusiastically as I fundamentally disagree with many of his points but, has anyone actually said that these unfortunate people would have survived if it wasn't for CV? Would they have survived if they'd caught seasonal flu? Genuine question, not meant to be controversial (but I'll put my hard hat on just in case), it's just that I don't remember reading it anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Van Cone De Head said:

We were due in tomorrow,after much discussion it was postponed due to his serious underlying health condition simply due to the risk of him going in to hospital.

Have thought about you guys over the past couple of weeks ,fingers crossed for you all.

1 minute ago, smiths_tavrn said:

So you agree with all this giving pills out like smarties? Sorry I don't agree. Because I don't agree with your views, it undermines my case? What arrogance. It doesn't undermine my case one iota. It just means that I have a different point of view to you. 

Calm down buddy. All I was trying to say is that you made a reasonable point  but then damaged your case with a comment that many are no doubt going to argue with. I don't know that they do hand them out like smarties. Not at our surgery anyway. Shame you've taken that tone when I was actually trying (sort of) to defend you in another comment. 

I do wonder how many people are even going to bother changing their lifestyle, if not at least the next 2-6 months. 

How many people are going to eat less and seek better nutrition? How many are going to quit smoking or vaping?

Me thinks everyone (almost) will think it's someone else's responsibility to help them in this fight. 

41 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Whether it is Coronavirus or not if you are admitted to hospital and need an ICU bed the problem is capacity. Countries such as Italy, France, Spain and Germany are all at breaking point and struggling to cope and with the crest of the wave yet to come they will not cope. Below are figures of ICU beds per  100,000 people taken from 2012, UK is actually nearer 5 than 6 after years of underfunding. So all those who have got "just a cold" will be ok whereas the ones who need a lot more care when and/if they are admitted will be in serious trouble. All in all NHS is very good, free, good service, good staff, great care but the S could also stand for shoestring as well. If the same pattern follows here (looks like it), we are about 7 to 10 days behind France, the NHS will be overwhelmed very quickly and that is the real problem not so much how virulent the virus is or what the cause of the admission is. 

image.png.3005e49c83402dd9565d6748748ed183.png

I was just looking at the UKs figures for 'daily new cases', and I was slightly surprised to see a reduction for 2 straight days. I then looked at France for a comparison and we appear to be 7 days behind France. 

(image.png.401be5702d53c4b32bf6749cfcaad80a.png

It'll be interesting to see how closely we mimic France over the next couple of days, or whether we'll have a shallower growth as the trend suggests (higher starting point but lower end point)

28 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I was just looking at the UKs figures for 'daily new cases', and I was slightly surprised to see a reduction for 2 straight days. I then looked at France for a comparison and we appear to be 7 days behind France. 

(image.png.401be5702d53c4b32bf6749cfcaad80a.png

It'll be interesting to see how closely we mimic France over the next couple of days, or whether we'll have a shallower growth as the trend suggests (higher starting point but lower end point)

The  numbers are fairly meaningless, though, as they only count those tested / in hospital. All those showing mild symptoms and self-isolating won't be tested or counted.

2 hours ago, smiths_tavrn said:

On what basis are you claiming the underlying health conditions are what is primarily to blame for people's deaths? Are you a doctor? A virologist? A pathologist?  I'm just thankful the overall trend of the thread is listening to those who are experts. 

Archived