Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How do you know what that is? But anyway we don't lack information we lack 'specific' covid-19 information.

If we're too cautious then the economy will suffer - might that not cause as much problem?

It's certainly a big factor and concern but as another poster stated (Carl Sagan?), it's better to look back and think that was all abit OTT than look back and regret inaction.

4 minutes ago, inter politics said:

It's certainly a big factor and concern but as another poster stated (Carl Sagan?), it's better to look back and think that was all abit OTT than look back and regret inaction.

That is also a supposition. And we aren't being 'inactive'.

The experts have said our 'situation' isn't the same as China & N. Italy so why shouldn't our reactions be different?

10 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

GCSE and A levels don’t matter anyway anymore. They are given out like sweets! 

They matter in the sense that they are what determine a student's entrance to the next level of education. Btw, at least for A levels they've bulked up the curriculum and made them more difficult than back when i was doing them in 2011. 

4 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

Tough one - dead but hey, at least the economy didn't suffer, or alive and the economy has crashed (again)

What you worried about it's mostly us old codgers that are getting the worst of it! Think of the pension money that'll be saved.

2 hours ago, SchtivePesley said:

60% of 65 million (British population) is 39 million.  Even if the fatality rate is 1-2%, that's close on half a million people will die. You think the NHS can cope with that if we go with the current bow-wave approach?

I don't know medicine but I do know a lot about maths and stats and modelling how virus transmission works. The real issue at the moment is acquiring data. If we were doing more testing we'd have a much better idea of whether our strategy was working or not.

I've looked at the daily testing figures for the last two weeks and they're pretty steady at 1500. On Tuesday we were promised a jump to 10,000 tests per day. If we can get to that level of testing for 7-10 days  we'll have a much better picture of the direction of travel. Currently it looks as if the UK is the best-performing nation in Europe in terms of the spread, but I don't think we have enough information to  be sure. But what the current data says is we're the only place taking over 3 days to double numbers.

I think the for the moment the government are probably doing the right thing for the most part. Realistically, we can't shut down the country for months on end and i think most people realise the game is up on stopping this thing in its tracks. The key is i would imagine trying to even the spread of infection out over time to cause the smallest amount of disruption at any one time. Therefore, people being extra hygienic, limiting large gatherings where possible and if you have been in contact with anyone who is ill stay at home for a week or two are all sensible measures. I'd probably be banning all visits to care homes as well. I'd wait until the last possible moment to close schools as a measure simply due to the amount of NHS staff who have kids... the last thing we need is a whole group of NHS staff having to stay at home to look after the little ones. 

If we have a deluge of cases all at once the healthcare system will collapse and the number of deaths will spike as there won't be enough ICU spaces for everyone who needs them. If cases are spread out over time hopefully GP's can deal with the majority of cases and quick hospitalisations for anyone that needs it can occur. Even though I'm only 26 I'm limiting when i'm going out and working from home for a while as I have quite bad asthma where i often develop chest infections so my respiratory system is hardly top notch and i'm not taking a chance. 

Today's figures were just released and the number of tests has jumped to 3007 (when the three-day rolling average before today was 1601 which is roughly where we're been at the last fortnight). Gathering more data is definitely moving in the right direction to be able to see whether our strategy is working.

4 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Today's figures were just released and the number of tests has jumped to 3007 (when the three-day rolling average before today was 1601 which is roughly where we're been at the last fortnight). Gathering more data is definitely moving in the right direction to be able to see whether our strategy is working.

It's good that we're releasing figures. I see that Italy has also made all of it's figures/stats publically available.

If China had been more open, it could have been helpful I wonder?

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

Tough one - dead but hey, at least the economy didn't suffer, or alive and the economy has crashed (again)

I think @RoyMac5’s point is that a suffering economy also causes deaths and difficulties. .. the question is balancing things to maintain a functioning society - which includes the economy.  There isn’t a rule book, this is managing a pandemic and F all to do with ideology 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I don't know medicine but I do know a lot about maths and stats and modelling how virus transmission works. The real issue at the moment is acquiring data. If we were doing more testing we'd have a much better idea of whether our strategy was working or not.

I've looked at the daily testing figures for the last two weeks and they're pretty steady at 1500. On Tuesday we were promised a jump to 10,000 tests per day. If we can get to that level of testing for 7-10 days  we'll have a much better picture of the direction of travel. Currently it looks as if the UK is the best-performing nation in Europe in terms of the spread, but I don't think we have enough information to  be sure. But what the current data says is we're the only place taking over 3 days to double numbers.

I’d also add that supposed death rates need considerable data crunching before you can arrive at an accurate figure ... consider how many of those who have died, might well have died from another cause due to their frailty.
How many of those tested are the really ill ones - most of them I reckon - so the death rate is inflated.

How many have the virus, are surviving but haven’t been tested and aren’t in any equation 

2 minutes ago, jono said:

I’d also add that supposed death rates need considerable data crunching before you can arrive at an accurate figure ... consider how many of those who have died, might well have died from another cause due to their frailty.
How many of those tested are the really ill ones - most of them I reckon - so the death rate is inflated.

How many have the virus, are surviving but haven’t been tested and aren’t in any equation 

Gibraltar have announced the closure of all clubs bars and restaurants from 8 pm each day.  In the next few hours and days they will decide whether to close them completely.  They have recommended people use delivery firms instead.  Spain have now formally confirmed a state of emergency.

I am so happy I came back from NZ las weekend, not 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

As far as I understand it, the rate of infection will increase exponentially once the virus really gets going and starts moving through the population. Does that mean that we're still in the fairly flat part of the curve at the beginning before the big spike comes?

Counting the number of tests performed also depends on the capacity of the laboratories doing the testing, and they will come under increasing stress as more people are affected.

Archived