Coronavirus

1of4

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rammieib said:

I saw an article published where they performed antibody tests on a number of people who were confirmed as having it. The younger ones did not test positive for the antibodies but the older ones did.

It was a small sample size but I can't remember the source. The conclusion was that younger people could use other methods to fight it off. I'm not sure how much you can take from this overall though.

The new antibody test used to test those children in Birmingham with the possibly linked inflammatory syndrome all tested positive for antibodies. They were all under 30. 

Interesting article on the BBC website which highlights some of the problems deaf people are likely to have if and when wearing face masks becomes the norm...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52659083?fbclid=IwAR3LqQTx4C8u0-pUWMDiDUkVU0Ep5DvoUjnmi347Gfeu2ERPEesoTkl1WKc

It's a two way thing as well. I am severely deaf and wear spectacles, so there's not much room left on my tabs to hang a face mask off them as well, but that's a minor issue really compared to deciphering what other people are mumbling.

50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be a second spike surely there would had to have been a dip from the first spike? 

What happened between Xmas and April to cause a dip?

Why were there seemingly very few if any at all deaths between December and March if there was a first spike?

I would say there is little to no evidence of this being a second spike.

Wasn’t the number of deaths above the 5 year average during November and December, returning to just below the average in January and Feb, before increasing in March and spiking in April?

55 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Anybody else surprised that of our list of key workers it is teachers who are most reluctant to do their bit.

helmet GIF

Anybody know how many other key workers are being asked to do their job without any PPE, while being unable to maintain social distancing.

1 hour ago, i-Ram said:

Anybody else surprised that of our list of key workers it is teachers who are most reluctant to do their bit.

helmet GIF

I love my job as a teacher and cannot wait to get back in the classroom.

But am I prepared to die for it?

19 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

I love my job as a teacher and cannot wait to get back in the classroom.

But am I prepared to die for it?

This is the kind of hyperbole that isn't helpful. That isn't the choice is it. 

If you have an underlying condition that puts you at more risk then you won't be expected to go in. Otherwise you really aren't dicing with death. 

1 hour ago, davenportram said:

The new antibody test used to test those children in Birmingham with the possibly linked inflammatory syndrome all tested positive for antibodies. They were all under 30. 

Granted it’s not a study or anything but I am sure a lot of us follow this person on Twitter 

4C384228-FF66-4185-80E0-9080C75D39EE.png

31 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

If you have an underlying condition that puts you at more risk then you won't be expected to go in. Otherwise you really aren't dicing with death. 

We are in the middle of one of the worst pandemic's in modern history. There is no vaccine and we do not fully understand the virus and how it mutates yet. So it really could be the choice, do I go to work to allow the country to open up again and potentially put myself and my family at risk or do I follow the directive that staying at home will prevent transmission of this deadly vector, and keep me and mine safe?

Not dicing with death? Do you know that as a stone cold fact? No. Nobody does.

That said, this cannot go one indefinately and at some point we will all need to that the risk. However, I am not sure that that time is now, due to poor and rushed planning, lack of PPE etc.

35 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Glad we have a medical expert on the forum, to answer all our coronavirus queries.

36 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Covid-19 doesn't just kill those with underlying health conditions - or at least known ones anyway, unless you classify being overweight as being an known underlying health condition (as reports appear to suggest), in which case, boy, are we in trouble. 62% of the UK population are overweight, and 25% are obese.

3 minutes ago, zaragozaram said:

We are in the middle of one of the worst pandemic's in modern history. There is no vaccine and we do not fully understand the virus and how it mutates yet. So it really could be the choice, do I go to work to allow the country to open up again and potentially put myself and my family at risk or do I follow the directive that staying at home will prevent transmission of this deadly vector, and keep me and mine safe?

Not dicing with death? Do you know that as a stone cold fact? No. Nobody does.

That said, this cannot go one indefinately and at some point we will all need to that the risk. However, I am not sure that that time is now, due to poor and rushed planning, lack of PPE etc.

The evidence  that if you are even very relatively fit, young and healthy that you will be fine... far far far outweighs any evidence that you are taking your live in your hands??  Show me that isnt true and I would reconsider. 

Maybe you would see it differently eg if you weren't picking up a full wage and were self employed and losing hard won contracts or watching your restaurant/shop /bar go down the toilet and have no clue how to get your life even semi back on track ..then the teeny tiny bit of risk would seem worthwhile ? 

1 minute ago, Chester40 said:

The evidence  that if you are even very relatively fit, young and healthy that you will be fine... far far far outweighs any evidence that you are taking your live in your hands??  Show me that isnt true and I would reconsider. 

Maybe you would see it differently eg if you weren't picking up a full wage and were self employed and losing hard won contracts or watching your restaurant/shop /bar go down the toilet and have no clue how to get your life even semi back on track ..then the teeny tiny bit of risk would seem worthwhile ? 

People who think like this are dangerous. We need to be able to recognise them from a distance.

2054263844_larsondonottouch.png.c028f656541d3d81423291f70c342f45.png

3 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Why have you not given us this expert advice before? It would have saved all the problems we've had over the last few months.

So thats us all back to work on Monday, after a nice pub lunch on Sunday with all our family and friends.

15 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Glad we have more than our fair share of moaning minnie's. 

That's me. Can't stop myself moaning about all those selfish people who are becoming ill and dying. When they should be out working, to help the nation's economy.

1 minute ago, 1of4 said:

That's me. Can't stop myself moaning about all those selfish people who are becoming ill and dying. When they should be out working, to help the nation's economy.

Oh come on. Chester is not suggesting the ill and dying go out to work. The fit and healthy in the low risk category need to start returning over the coming weeks if the R rate stays below 1 and hospital admissions are falling away. In particular teachers have a huge part to play.

42 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

But we're not talking about adult colleagues here... or customers for that matter.
We are talking about teachers being asked to oversee a group that is fast becoming recognised as the most difficult group to instil the needs and merits of social distancing to, and the sheer difficulties involved in getting those kids to abide by such rules.
I hear they are also being asked to do so without the PPE that is being advised to pretty much every other profession, although I'm happy to be proved wrong on that one!
And let's not forget... as young, fit and healthy as said teacher may be, and as "unlikely" it is that they would die from the virus,, there's still the small matter of who and how many others teacher would pass it on to, before being declared "fully fit and recovered"!

Oh... and also...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8324649/Two-coronavirus-cases-confirmed-primary-school-attended-vulnerable-pupils.html

Archived