Coronavirus

1of4

30 minutes ago, rammieib said:

Excellent support from the Government today on furlough extension. I particularly like the August part time return element.

Headline was good but will the underlying detail be?

Not sure how 'one rule fits all' will work on this. 

There will be many companies that have had literally no income between March and July and then they are going to be expected to contribute to staff wages while business builds itself back up?

Come the end of July the leisure and tourism industry will be on its knees.

After that it could go one of 2 ways. People could flock to the seaside due to no foreign holidays. Or people will stay home due to fear.

In a country where half of the people cant eve  understand what stay alert means, I fear it could be the latter.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
52 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

There will be many companies that have had literally no income between March and July and then they are going to be expected to contribute to staff wages while business builds itself back up?

After that it could go one of 2 ways. People could flock to the seaside due to no foreign holidays. Or people will stay home due to fear.

In a country where half of the people cant eve  understand what stay alert means, I fear it could be the latter.

Just on the cash point, understand your view but businesses will develop and evolve and find ways to survive. Plus business loans are available to create the liquidity needed to survive.

I do fully understand that thousands of SME’s will go under and tens of thousands of jobs will be lost. However I’m proud that we are tying our best to support business and people and not just writing a cheque for $1200.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

It gives flexibility though.. The French have a similar system and it works.. You would only bring staff in if there is something for them to do and hopefully generate revenue and profits. This system enables the employer to stage his staff return to work much better and without the financial exposure in the short term. Great move this.

15 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

It gives flexibility though.. The French have a similar system and it works.. You would only bring staff in if there is something for them to do and hopefully generate revenue and profits. This system enables the employer to stage his staff return to work much better and without the financial exposure in the short term. Great move this.

But the staff that you dont bring back in still need to be paid there 80% and it sounds like employers may have to stump up 20% of this.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

But the staff that you dont bring back in still need to be paid there 80% and it sounds like employers may have to stump up 20% of this.

Okay, just heard the headline, not looked in depth yet. I assumed he was keeping the furlough till October but you could bring people back part time, pay them full for those hours and then claim that balance of furloughed hours from the government.. 

7 hours ago, i-Ram said:

Thank you.  I suspect the true cost is closer to 50k. Sombre stuff.

Agreed. The last 6 weeks, weekly deaths exceeded the average by 1k, 6k, 8k, 12k, 12k, and 8k

47,000 in total.

10 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Okay, just heard the headline, not looked in depth yet. I assumed he was keeping the furlough till October but you could bring people back part time, pay them full for those hours and then claim that balance of furloughed hours from the government.. 

All I heard was that from August, employers would be expected to contribute

2 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

You can only play against your own family. I won 25 - 0 against my missus tonight. 

Not very gentlemanly of you!  I'd have at least given her one!

Any way, Bro... we're all family on here, innit!  ?

Had a call from my kids' school, asking if I intend to send my eldest (year 6) back on June 1st if they are to open. The school has had mixed response from parents, some can't wait to send their kids back, some don't want to, some kids can't wait to go back and some don't want to. The school is planning on how they are going to accommodate bringing back children, how many have said that will go back will with determine how many days they go back for, staggered starting and finishing times. The head teacher is going round all the classrooms and setting out 2m markers in each one. 

Well I personal think there very little point in going back and schools putting staff members at risky as my mum is  dinner lady but stopped away as she has underlineing health issues but if they send them back my mum will have to go back also.

38 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

Well I personal think there very little point in going back and schools putting staff members at risky as my mum is  dinner lady but stopped away as she has underlineing health issues but if they send them back my mum will have to go back also.

Not always, my wife is a teacher and she has just completed a questionnaire asking about her circumstances. If she declares she is 'at risk' or has any underlying health issues, she won't be asked to go back initially. 

3 hours ago, rynny said:

Had a call from my kids' school, asking if I intend to send my eldest (year 6) back on June 1st if they are to open. The school has had mixed response from parents, some can't wait to send their kids back, some don't want to, some kids can't wait to go back and some don't want to. The school is planning on how they are going to accommodate bringing back children, how many have said that will go back will with determine how many days they go back for, staggered starting and finishing times. The head teacher is going round all the classrooms and setting out 2m markers in each one. 

Going to be interesting how many can actually fit. Classrooms have gotten smaller as new schools are built. Reckon I’d get about 8 in my classroom 2m apart. 

teachers don’t need PPE either - with face masks not recommended. 

It is okay goverment saying not to use public transport not everyone can drive so for me I personal have to use the bus and if limiting people who can get on. If there full and makes me late because of it. 

I have never been late not once.

1 minute ago, B4ev6is said:

It is okay goverment saying not to use public transport not everyone can drive so for me I personal have to use the bus and if limiting people who can get on. If there full and makes me late because of it. 

I have never been late not once.

Catch an earlier bus.

Archived