Coronavirus

1of4

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

What I wonder is why our deaths are so much higher than the rest of Europe. Is it that we're a more unhealthy population? Have we had a lot more cases but due to lack of testing we have no idea the real number of covid 19 cases we've had? Possibly it's spread around older generations here more than other countries?

Our NHS hasn't been overwhelmed, so us having a much higher number of deaths doesn't really make sense, unless people think that the staff in our hospitals are worse (which I absolutely don't agree with)

Our numbers are higher but we’re reporting all deaths.  Other countries are only reporting hospital deaths so it’s not a like for like comparison.

• Replies 19.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, GboroRam said:

It's entirely voluntary. If someone doesn't want to use it they don't have to.

But it's a way of tracking who has been in contact with who, if they ever show that they have the virus. Then we can isolate 10 people and wait for them to get the all-clear, then let them back into normal life. If enough people agree to be tracked, we can all go back to a bit more normality.

Let's be honest. Would you be happy going into a full Pride Park if you knew some people in there had a deadly virus?

Being honest, this is the distinction.. for me personally it isn't a deadly virus. Which is why I still go to work and why my kids stayed in school with all the other kids even when it was clear they had a good chance of catching it. Lockdown seems to have changed everyone's perception. 

7 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Being honest, this is the distinction.. for me personally it isn't a deadly virus. Which is why I still go to work and why my kids stayed in school with all the other kids even when it was clear they had a good chance of catching it. Lockdown seems to have changed everyone's perception. 

I agree with this to a large extent ,I would go to Pride Park but would think twice about going on the tube in London .It's all about mitigating the risks .

13 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Same here.

The only thing that worries me is the fact that I could be asymptomatic and pass it on to someone much more vulnerable than me.

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

Entirely possible, but that would infer we've had a lot more cases than other countries, would that lower the risk of a second wave if we've had more? 

Not in the slightest - ok, possibly marginally at best. 'Herd immunity' is not achieved at any level below 60-70% of the population. Besides, we don't know whether having had Covid-19 gives any immunity over the short term, let alone the long term.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

If true that would put the mortality rate at 0.4% and then you would have to be left questioning is then any more deadly than influenza.

The ONS data in the UK suggests that is likely to be far from the case, because we are consistently hitting huge numbers of weekly deaths overall - deaths which can only be accounted for by Covid-19.. Which is why I suggested that the sample size was very small, and the area within which the survey was carried out was atypical. 

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Germany 166k cases only 7k deaths

UK 190k cases with 28k deaths

Social distancing may explain why have more cases but there does not seem to be a correlation between cases and deaths.

Hasn't this been answered multiple times already.

Germany were testing in large numbers way earlier than us, then presumably testing everyone who came into contact with the person who tested positive. This is what South Korea did.

For a while, the only people who we were testing were turning up at hospital with severe symptoms  after infecting loads of other people.

We are allegedly testing 100k people per day now, but can't help feeling that horse has bolted somewhat.

i got mocked for wearing a mask today, by an older gentleman.  Walked straight up to my face outside the supermarket smirking and said yeah better wear that mask, gotta keep safe you know and then laughed.  i was too stunned to say anything, just stared at the guy.  My wife has tamed me too well i reckon.

On 30/04/2020 at 13:08, ariotofmyown said:

At my place, we've all been at home since 17th March. One of my colleagues has had a cough for the whole of April and it's just starting to go. Her bf has just started with the cough now though.  They are both getting tested today as he is essential worker.

Interesting to see what their results are. If they are positive, then how long will could her bf be contagious for? Could be weeks and weeks to just pass between 2 people in lockdown.

Quick update on my colleague which I found rather scary.

Bf and her were tested last Thursday. Got results back and they both negative. On Thursday night though, her bf was really ill and had to call NHS line. They told him it sounds like he had it. He is getting better now but still got bad cough.

Her brother-in-law is a doctor and also said it sounds like he has got it. Doctor also said that 1 in 4 tests were wrong!

So over 6 weeks lockdown, took 2 weeks for symptoms for my colleague, another 4 weeks for bfs serious symptoms. Test results were negative and doctor says 25% of tests are wrong.

Unless this is very rare occurrence, there is a very long way to go yet!

6 hours ago, Andicis said:

What I wonder is why our deaths are so much higher than the rest of Europe. Is it that we're a more unhealthy population? Have we had a lot more cases but due to lack of testing we have no idea the real number of covid 19 cases we've had? Possibly it's spread around older generations here more than other countries?

Our NHS hasn't been overwhelmed, so us having a much higher number of deaths doesn't really make sense, unless people think that the staff in our hospitals are worse (which I absolutely don't agree with)

Don't we have the highest % obesity rate in Europe? Various references being made in the briefings to obesity and its usual comorbidities featuring regularly among the details of those dying. 

18 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Quick update on my colleague which I found rather scary.

Bf and her were tested last Thursday. Got results back and they both negative. On Thursday night though, her bf was really ill and had to call NHS line. They told him it sounds like he had it. He is getting better now but still got bad cough.

Her brother-in-law is a doctor and also said it sounds like he has got it. Doctor also said that 1 in 4 tests were wrong!

So over 6 weeks lockdown, took 2 weeks for symptoms for my colleague, another 4 weeks for bfs serious symptoms. Test results were negative and doctor says 25% of tests are wrong.

Unless this is very rare occurrence, there is a very long way to go yet!

How do they measure if a test is wrong? If a test is negative but end up in hospital with the virus? 
The only way I can see is if the first test is inconclusive and they do a retest there and then. If you look at the number of test carried out and the number of people tested there is a 20% difference. 
I can’t see how 25% of tests are known to be wrong when effectively once you leave the test site you can more or less pick it up from somewhere else.

12 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

How do they measure if a test is wrong? If a test is negative but end up in hospital with the virus? 
The only way I can see is if the first test is inconclusive and they do a retest there and then. If you look at the number of test carried out and the number of people tested there is a 20% difference. 
I can’t see how 25% of tests are known to be wrong when effectively once you leave the test site you can more or less pick it up from somewhere else.

If you administered 4 tests to the same person and the results were 3 one way and one the other, then - who knows? Maybe in that batch, 75% are giving the wrong result and the outlier is correct.

58 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Don't we have the highest % obesity rate in Europe? Various references being made in the briefings to obesity and its usual comorbidities featuring regularly among the details of those dying. 

Sure, but our deaths as a percentage of infections we have recorded is hugely out of proportion. 

59 minutes ago, Van Gritters said:

Good question, perhaps it's just anecdotal evidence from this particular doctor. It sounds highly like this couple had it but both tested negative. 

13 hours ago, alexxxxx said:

Infection rate is bad here in London, however I think that the feeling that it is a London only problem fueled some of the nearly as bad rates seen in the North West and in West Midlands. The North West is now worse than London.

Anecdotally, I've seen that people haven't quite been as serious with their social distancing in areas outside of London. 

Don't agree with you the social distancing in London was and still is worse. I have to travel a few times between various places for the job in the last few weeks and with the possible exception of a one place London still seems to be the most difficult. I have found the worst place is the one on the doorstep 

8 hours ago, Eddie said:

If you administered 4 tests to the same person and the results were 3 one way and one the other, then - who knows? Maybe in that batch, 75% are giving the wrong result and the outlier is correct.

Swab tests are a very imprecise way of testing so the anomaly may lie in the method. 

12 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

I think the explanation is even simpler.

The government wanted the Cheltenham Festival held. 

Having attended many times, it's as much a networking opportunity for traditional Conservatives and their backers as it is a working class sporting event.

Spot on with that one and this in turn should dictate that public attendance of events be it sport, arts, music can only be allowed when it is very safe. 

Archived