Roos

Eley1508

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If your first choice keeper is one that is on loan from another club then I think you need a new keeper on a perm transfer .... nuff said. Long term I can’t see how you build a team around a keeper that isn’t yours. If anyone disagrees I’d be happy to reconsider my opinion but for life of me can’t think of a successful team who’s first choice keeper was on loan from another club?? ?

7 minutes ago, Gisby said:

If your first choice keeper is one that is on loan from another club then I think you need a new keeper on a perm transfer .... nuff said. Long term I can’t see how you build a team around a keeper that isn’t yours. If anyone disagrees I’d be happy to reconsider my opinion but for life of me can’t think of a successful team who’s first choice keeper was on loan from another club?? ?

Dean Henderson Sheffield United. Got them promoted and currently are 8th in the Premier League

5 hours ago, Theres’s Only Wan Chope said:

Disagree. 

He’s been second choice to hamer for a while ... with good reason 

the truth is neither are particularly good goalkeepers for a side aspiring to achieve things 

Roos is a decent shot stopper and has a lovely ping on him but when crosses go into the box both just look like a total bag of nerves 

hamer still somehow edges it as he can still command his area better than Roos and perhaps doesn’t put the fear of god into the back line when a ball goes in.... but we’re talking such ever so fine margins  ..... however he’s so prone to a Monster flap like today and Swansea,  we have to be looking for better on the summer.

5 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

the truth is neither are particularly good goalkeepers for a side aspiring to achieve things 

Roos is a decent shot stopper and has a lovely ping on him but when crosses go into the box both just look like a total bag of nerves 

hamer still somehow edges it as he can still command his area better than Roos and perhaps doesn’t put the fear of god into the back line when a ball goes in.... but we’re talking such ever so fine margins  ..... however he’s so prone to a Monster flap like today and Swansea,  we have to be looking for better on the summer.

I agree, I was there last year to witness Roos attempt the faux McGinn ‘catch’ and have watched Hamers ‘punch’ this afternoon. Neither are good enough and if we want to move on to greater things then we need better I’m afraid.

Hamers punch was terrible & it looked easier to catch than punch away. 

It was a bad bit of keeping no denying that but in his defence he could have punched that anywhere else & it would be a goal. He managed to punch the ball square at their players head. Fortunately its not cost us the game 

4 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

It was a bad bit of keeping no denying that but in his defence he could have punched that anywhere else & it would be a goal. He managed to punch the ball square at their players head. Fortunately its not cost us the game 

Sorry this is professional football, it’s not Sunday morning pub team football, it’s just not good enough. I could have caught that and I’m 56!!! 

Hamer had a decent game against Millwall but he’s always been pretty average for a championship keeper.

FWIW I think Roos is the more talented of the two, he won the job off Carson fair and square at the end of last season. He was very decent, particularly Bristol City away which was a huge game where he was peppered with shots for the majority. The Wembley mistake was awful but the reaction was worse.

So many fans had already written him off before this season started and the atmosphere around him was horrible. Was honestly ashamed of the jeers he was getting from day one, that sort of behaviour encapsulates the worst of our fanbase. It’s honestly like some fans just want us to be poo.

Roos deserves another shot and not having any fans in the ground will help. Roos will be desperate to get out there and prove himself again, I’m hoping he could finish out the season. He’ll be here next season and will hopefully compete with whoever we bring in. Call me a mug all you want but I believe in Roos.

14 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Hamer had a decent game against Millwall but he’s always been pretty average for a championship keeper.

FWIW I think Roos is the more talented of the two, he won the job off Carson fair and square at the end of last season. He was very decent, particularly Bristol City away which was a huge game where he was peppered with shots for the majority. The Wembley mistake was awful but the reaction was worse.

So many fans had already written him off before this season started and the atmosphere around him was horrible. Was honestly ashamed of the jeers he was getting from day one, that sort of behaviour encapsulates the worst of our fanbase. It’s honestly like some fans just want us to be poo.

Roos deserves another shot and not having any fans in the ground will help. Roos will be desperate to get out there and prove himself again, I’m hoping he could finish out the season. He’ll be here next season and will hopefully compete with whoever we bring in. Call me a mug all you want but I believe in Roos.

You know what whilst I was at Wembley that day and couldn’t believe what I saw I can somewhat agree with you. Today’s punch was ridiculous and Roos has arguably had a raw deal from us as fans so I have some sympathy for him. However at the end of the day I truly  believe neither are the answer as I think we need a new, proper first choice keeper who will command his box and from which we can build our defence. 

9 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Give it a rest

Appreciate your frustration but I have to agree with @Tyler Durden somewhat. We have a goalkeeping coach who was an international keeper so the question is just what is he doing with our keepers on the training ground because it’s not translating onto the pitch during match days!!!! 

49 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

He was very decent, particularly Bristol City away which was a huge game where he was peppered with shots for the majority. 

He's a shot stopper with a bit of ball playing ability, Lampard rated the ball-playing. He's utterly average as a keeper as is Hamer in a different way. Neither of them should/would play for us if we got promoted.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

The daft thing was that he caught a whipped in cross around 10 or so minutes later, which proves he can when he puts his mind to it, whereas Roos never convinces at crosses.

Its a problem position to be solved in the summer, we make do with Hamer for now, then go again in the summer with someone different. Giving Roos another chance still doesn’t feel right to me and I’d only want Hamer as a steady back up next season, if he was made available.

It never cost us the game but from conceding we went on the back foot and tenuously I’m going to link it slightly to Lawrence getting sent off, as we could have cruised and maybe stifled them towards the end, without Lawrence getting red mist for his spat. Yes very tenuous link, but all the same, that goal heaped pressure, when it could and should have been more comfortable.

Either way, Hamer stays in, but we need better than both next year.

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Don't see how he's better then roos he's about equal on everything apart from shot stopping and roos is better at that! The only time roos makes mistakes is trying to command his area and he only did that cos people started to get o. His back! 

1 minute ago, Zag zig said:

The daft thing was that he caught a whipped in cross around 10 or so minutes later, which proves he can when he puts his mind to it, whereas Roos never convinces at crosses.

I do wonder what is being coached into them. When you see technical deficiencies you have to wonder, but true you can only do so much coaching.

40 minutes ago, Gisby said:

Appreciate your frustration but I have to agree with @Tyler Durden somewhat. We have a goalkeeping coach who was an international keeper so the question is just what is he doing with our keepers on the training ground because it’s not translating onto the pitch during match days!!!! 

For the record I don't rate either of our keepers but to keep repeating it ad nauseam does get rather monotonous.

Archived