Roos

Eley1508

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look. Let’s stop arguing about which of the two shyte keepers are the least shyte.

Its a bit like having to pick between Corbyn and Johnson at the last election.

My parting shot though is this. Anyone who thinks Roos is the answer for next season can’t ever have seen a decent goal keeper play before. I am sure you could find som U tube video or something to see what a good one looks like.

7 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Sorry but he's crap.  Hamer is too .....it's up to Cocu to decide who is the crappiest of the two

For you to judge him as crap, I would take that means you think he is below average for this division.

Based on that, who in your opinion, are better goalkeepers in this division and what attributes do you think they have that would better suit our team?

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not gonna happen until we get to the stage where we're so bad that we accept the poorer players are the best we can get. We're not at that stage, yet. 

That was your response to ''I'd just rather see supporters backing him'', not sure how that can't be read as you being unwilling to support him?

cba discussing this with a boomer, i'll let you stick to your fond memories of Vic Woodley and other great keepers ?

21 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

That was your response to ''I'd just rather see supporters backing him'', not sure how that can't be read as you being unwilling to support him?

cba discussing this with a boomer, i'll let you stick to your fond memories of Vic Woodley and other great keepers ?

You're a bit sad aren't you, whenever you're not winning the argument you resort to name-calling. I've told you that I've not said that but you try and support your sad argument. Get a life mate. Roos isn't the answer. 

• 3 months later...

Just came across a very interesting graph plot comparing keepers in the Championship (not updated with the latest round of fixtures).

Essentially, it's saying he's arguably the best keeper in the league in relation to the difficulty of shot faced, and the number of goals he's stopped which should have gone in. Hamer's not too bad either.

Have we been too hard on both of our keepers this season?

image.thumb.png.d6a6eee1d98672ada6fb19fc2dc339f1.png

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Just came across a very interesting graph plot comparing keepers in the Championship (not updated with the latest round of fixtures).

Essentially, it's saying he's arguably the best keeper in the league in relation to the difficulty of shot faced, and the number of goals he's stopped which should have gone in. Hamer's not too bad either.

Of course we have. Never can understand this hysteria about our goalkeepers, who we should be encouraging rather than undermining.

I don't think anyone's doubting Roos' or Hamer's ability as a shot stoppers... they're up there with the best in the league at the minute in that regard and the table backs that up.

It's their lack of authority coming for crosses and controlling their area that concerns most fans... however I can't think of many other 'keepers at Championship level where this is their strong point either. Other 'keepers in the same quadrant e.g. Smithies and Collins are similar.

I think that graphic is one of those stats which is a bit misleading personally. It’s analysing goalkeepers performances solely on their shot stopping record. While that is of course probably the most important attribute of a goalkeeper, it is far from the only thing a decent goalie needs to be able to do. They also need to be able to distribute, claim crosses and command their area etc. I don’t think any of us have been hugely critical of Hamer or Roos shot stopping record, but they both have major problems in terms of their command of their area - which isn’t represented In that graphic. That’s why they’ve received heavy criticism.

FWIW I think Roos has had a better season than people given him credit for, in terms of suiting our possession based style of play. I still think he’s better than Hamer who seemingly can’t hit goal kick without it going out of play. However, if Cocu doesn’t think Roos can be trusted - which appears to be the case - then a new goalkeeper is top priority for next season, as Hamer simply hasn’t been good enough.

Hamer seems to be growing into the role. I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs permanently.

roos should have broken through, but hasn’t.

we concede too many goals but it’s not really the keeper’s fault.

2 hours ago, angieram said:

Of course we have. Never can understand this hysteria about our goalkeepers, who we should be encouraging rather than undermining.

Here here. I watch a lot of Championship football (often over the Premier League) and I don't look around and see many keepers that are significantly better than ours.

Neither are the greatest and both have their weaknesses, in Hamer's case he seems to struggle with shots from range whereas Roos' decision making is his major flaw (probably his lack of first team experience), but thats why they are Championship keepers!

Most people seem to write off the chances of signing Hamer whereas I'd be surprised if we don't in these times of likely austerity, he'll probably cost close to £0 and be on a very affordable Championship wage. Not to mention that he's a known quantity who, presumably, already fits in well with the group.

2 reasonable Championship keepers with both of a similar enough level to have healthy competition for the No.1 spot, and in Roos' case the potential to improve further with experience.

3 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Yes we have too hard on them- especially the sarcastic cheering. 

But that graph is not evidence of their quality. The y-axis says more about the defence (how good a position do opposition attackers take a shot from) than the keeper. 

And xG is a very dodgy statistic. Firstly, over a season, if it was accurate, you'd expect the average goals prevented to be zero, not -1.7ish. Secondly I believe it only uses location to approximate the xG of a chance - so for instance a header in a crowded box 6 yards out will have a better xG than an open goal from the edge of the area. 

Think Roos gets a hard time. The modern day keeper is instructed to retain possession as much as possible instead of punting long and also looks to punch crosses if in doubt. The balls are so light and can travel fast, it is often a preferred option to catching as it is seen as less risk.  Roos is a very good keeper. I don't think he makes many major errors. I miss Carson though. That guy is quality.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Hamer seems to be growing into the role. I wouldn’t be surprised if he signs permanently.

roos should have broken through, but hasn’t.

we concede too many goals but it’s not really the keeper’s fault.

Can see us potentially selling Carson and Roos. £2m combined at least. 

Archived