Budapest

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've just found that my application to study in Budapest for a year has been successful. Anyone got any tips? Obviously, I'm going to be there for longer than a holiday, but any general advice on the area would be great. Cheers.

My Brother in law works there 6 weeks on 6 weeks off. I will ask him. I've only been on holiday.

Lucky boy, although not the most stable educational environment at the moment from what I've read.

Transport easy and cheap in Pest, Buda is beyond stunning, next to the church in Buda is a very cheap beer garden that does nice simple buffet food.

Nice gardens and parks on some of the islands on the river, perfect for the warm summer.

You'll love it.

22 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Stay away from the strip clubs. 

And if you don't, keep your wallet in your hand at all times if you take one back to hers.

Nothing worse than being otherwise engaged, and seeing your trousers sliding across the floor towards the door.

I've been told.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've just found that my application to study in Budapest for a year has been successful. Anyone got any tips? Obviously, I'm going to be there for longer than a holiday, but any general advice on the area would be great. Cheers.

Food is poo. Football is poo. 

I went for four days beginning of December and actually really enjoyed it as a city. Obviously did all the touristy things which I expect you'll spread out over your time there.

I actually enjoyed the food there, some really nice little restaurants that serve traditional Hungarian food. I stayed in the Jewish Quarter which was a good location, could walk everywhere.

Also if you are planning to go to watch football, Ferencvaros' stadium is quite easy to get to from the centre. You pass it on the airport shuttle bus, it's called the Groupama Arena, or stadium, or whatever. Europa League standard side so you could have a chance of seeing a couple of decent sides there.

I enjoyed Budapest when I went, it has the most bloodthirsty history of any city I have visited.

there's the patron saint Gellert (Gerard) who was rolled off the cliffs in Buda in a barrel lined with nails. And another bloke called "The Iron King" because the mongols tied him to an iron throne with an iron crown fastened on his head and stuck him over a fire so he burnt to death and so on and so on...…..

the local beer isn't up to much sadly.....

3 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

And if you don't, keep your wallet in your hand at all times if you take one back to hers.

Nothing worse than being otherwise engaged, and seeing your trousers sliding across the floor towards the door.

I've been told.

I found out the hard way, they dont let you out with money on you. We went in and basically paid £125 for a bottle of Heineken. They hid behind minimum spend rules, said we bought £150 bottle of wine and had dances. We were there 20 mins, 15 of that was arguing. 

7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I found out the hard way, they dont let you out with money on you. We went in and basically paid £125 for a bottle of Heineken. They hid behind minimum spend rules, said we bought £150 bottle of wine and had dances. We were there 20 mins, 15 of that was arguing. 

Let me guess, Stag Do?

The good thing about a long stay, you soon pick up the local habit and avoid the tourist traps.

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Considering how cheap the beer is over there, I think I can go without the holy water!

Go to a few of the ruin bars, they're really quirky and pretty cool. I stayed near Szimpla Kert which is probably the most well known and it was really good on a Friday night.

Archived