Budapest

DarkFruitsRam7

I went to Budapest nine years ago, so my memory is a little foggy.

Definitely agree with all of the above sentiments - it’s a beautiful city and the nightlife is very good.

What I liked the most is its location. You can visit some really nice cities with Budapest being your base. For instance, Prague and Vienna.

Myself, I took the overnight train to Belgrade in Serbia. Belgrade is really cool. I actually liked it more than Budapest.

Probably because of the women. ?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, reverendo de duivel said:

Let me guess, Stag Do?

The good thing about a long stay, you soon pick up the local habit and avoid the tourist traps.

no, just a weekend break away with some mates. The thing is one of my mates is minted and spends a fortune on the dancers, they'd have made more money legitimately by not ripping us off!

Any time you're peckish in public; rub your belly and say loudly, "Boy, am I hungary!" and everyone in earshot will start singing and dancing around you. I've heard.

On 03/02/2020 at 21:09, Ghost of Clough said:

Don’t forget to try some Hungarian sausage. My girlfriend tells me it’s her favourite kind of sausage

Ah well, at least she loves you, right? 

On 07/02/2020 at 20:02, Van Cone De Head said:

Your missing that Northern cuisine mate?

YGrJMbk.jpg

Holy fook what on god's green is that. It looks like three dogs with increasingly serious bowel issues have dumped one on top of the other. 

On thread, as @Kernow mentioned, the Ruins bars are lush. If you're going to do a few you can get a tour ticket for around a tenner which includes some free drinks and money off vouchers but you do lose a bit of freedom.

The evening river cruises are cool - it's beautiful at night and a great way to see some f the prettiest parts of the city. If you happen to be with a fair maiden one night you can do a gastro version which is pricey but the food was spectacular. There are some really good eateries so ignore @Angry Ram as his diet is exclusively made up of oysters, Beluga and foie gras typically washed down with vintage Bolly. He wouldn't feed his dog goulash. TripAdvisor can be your friend in avoiding gash restaurants.

There are some covered markets as I recall with lots of tastings so if you're there a while it might make sense to indulge so you get to at least know which foods you like and which you don't.

Budget entertainment would be walking - it's a great place to simply bimble around and like a lot of countries in the region, it always seemed chock full of stupidly attractive and exotic looking girls so there's that too. ?

• 6 months later...
On 03/02/2020 at 23:50, Kernow said:

Go to a few of the ruin bars, they're really quirky and pretty cool. I stayed near Szimpla Kert which is probably the most well known and it was really good on a Friday night.

I only sorted my accommodation last week (the exchange was only recently 100% confirmed), but it looks like I'm living in the area where you stayed. I'm right next to the national museum - 800m from Szimpla Kert.

8 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Arrived today. A few weeks earlier than I originally thought, as I have to do a 14-day quarantine upon arrival and I wanted to be out and about for any Freshers-style events. Quite excited.

The Sex pest in Budapest, can see them making a film about your adventures over there. 

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I only sorted my accommodation last week (the exchange was only recently 100% confirmed), but it looks like I'm living in the area where you stayed. I'm right next to the national museum - 800m from Szimpla Kert.

My Air BnB was at the top of Wesselenyi utca. The New York Palace café is around the corner on Erzebert krt if you fancy a very expensive hot chocolate in a very, very grand coffee shop.

2 minutes ago, Kernow said:

My Air BnB was at the top of Wesselenyi utca. The New York Palace café is around the corner on Erzebert krt if you fancy a very expensive hot chocolate in a very, very grand coffee shop.

He’s a student, will be looking for the cheapest buy one get one frees

On 03/02/2020 at 17:57, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

I've just found that my application to study in Budapest for a year has been successful. Anyone got any tips? Obviously, I'm going to be there for longer than a holiday, but any general advice on the area would be great. Cheers.

Tips-

Whack a Johnny on it and you'll be 'raight??

Archived