Yet another Chris Martin thread.... Yes really

IslandExile

Chris Martin  

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

How long will you give a new bunch? There's no width and a centre half or two plus keeper needed, but you want a new front line?

Perhaps worded it wrongly , more like I wouldn’t be unhappy with a complete clear out ,,, that said ,if somehow cocu can inject a spark into our current front line then I’m ok with that , just personally non of them seem to excite me ,, thank god for the youngsters breaking through to the fist team , they Provide a bit of spark for me

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Archied said:

Perhaps worded it wrongly , more like I wouldn’t be unhappy with a complete clear out ,,, that said ,if somehow cocu can inject a spark into our current front line then I’m ok with that , just personally non of them seem to excite me ,, thank god for the youngsters breaking through to the fist team , they Provide a bit of spark for me

If Cocu can get the players in then we'll play better football. There's certainly been moments of quality and excitement through the season. 

If Cocu can get the players in then we'll play better football. There's certainly been moments of quality and excitement through the season. 

I’m with you on that , at times I’ve really enjoyed watching us

5 hours ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Marriott. I saw enough last season to know there’s a player in there and would love to get a proper season out of him. Might be naive to think it but it’s possible.

Yes naive .... "there's a player in there" perhaps but probably a league 1 rather than Championship. Even at his best with Lampard, Lampard still relegated  him to impact  sub. He's not impressed at all this season.

2 hours ago, Boycie said:

His goal celebration said to me he wasn’t confident of being around next season.

Derby fits him, his loans away have mainly been unsuccessful.

When the tempo is high he’s in his pomp.

I expect Cocu wants high tempo play.

Yes, I thought his "celebration" was very subdued. My first thought was that he was treating the game as it looked, a pre-season friendly. You could be right however.

25 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Yes, I thought his "celebration" was very subdued. My first thought was that he was treating the game as it looked, a pre-season friendly. You could be right however.

I think it's probably more to do with the fact the game was a dead rubber for us. He's a winner and it's why some people misconstrue his so called mardiness as a negative. He was clearly furious with himself later in the game when he blazed an effort over the bar. It's fair to say that despite his goal it wasn't a vintage performance from him but once again the same can be said about the whole team. We need to put this season behind us, recharge the batteries and get ready to go again next season. 

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Yes naive .... "there's a player in there" perhaps but probably a league 1 rather than Championship. Even at his best with Lampard, Lampard still relegated  him to impact  sub. He's not impressed at all this season.

Same Lampard that played goal machine Mason Bennett as a lone striker in the play off final?

It completely depends on how Cocu intends to play. Martin is as one-dimensional as a striker you will ever find and our lack of pace throughout the team doesn't help. He can't press, he can't run in behind. He is what he is. He's a very technically gifted wardrobe. If you build round him then keep him and use him. If you don't then there isn't much point.

8 hours ago, Ambitious said:

It completely depends on how Cocu intends to play. Martin is as one-dimensional as a striker you will ever find and our lack of pace throughout the team doesn't help. He can't press, he can't run in behind. He is what he is. He's a very technically gifted wardrobe. If you build round him then keep him and use him. If you don't then there isn't much point.

This is just a patently not true, but it's an easy characterisation. The only thing Martin lacks is real pace - ala Vardy etc. He doesn't chase the channels or do a gengenpress because Derby don't. If you watched the games you'd see that he does 'press' but it's not in a headless chicken running after the ball way, it's closing down space to stop a pass, it can't be done on his own but then neither can pressing ala Nugent.

Which striker do you have in mind that is so different? 

DET:

Derby County and Chris Martin are yet to reach agreement over a new contract, manager Phillip Cocu confirmed...and the striker's future at the club remains uncertain.

"No, not yet, no," was Cocu's response when asked is there an update.

"I hope he will stay to play for Derby County because if we didn't want it, we wouldn't have the talks about the contract.

"You have to find an agreement with the limitations we have."

1 minute ago, Topram said:

Sounds like we can’t even afford to keep Martin yet we need a good 4/5 new players this window... great

Or Martin wants assurances of his playing time, and Cocu wants another striker.

15 minutes ago, Srg said:

Or Martin wants assurances of his playing time, and Cocu wants another striker.

Cocu: "You have to find an agreement with the limitations we have."

What's the limitation then, Cocu won't let him start every match! ? More likely to be length of contract and wages.

What's the limitation then, Cocu won't let him start every match! ? More likely to be length of contract and wages.

Yes, and he isn’t going to be paying front line wages for someone he doesn’t see as a first choice striker...

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

Is there a first choice striker, I think not and the squad know that too.

Don’t think either of us know what Cocu wants next season. Right now? You’re right. But I’d guess you’re not come next season. 

Archived