Sport stars you fancy outside of football

Cisse

I was a bit surprised that Kobe Bryant was not so well known by everyone here in a sports forum. So I decided to start a new thread for showing appreciation towards monsters of sports that everyone doesn't know or remember anymore.

Please feel free to tell stories or your memories of these athletes as you see fit.

Here's some of my Hall of Fame Athletes

Cassius Clay

Pele

Edwin Moses

Walter Payton

Matti Nykänen

Ayrton Senna

Ron Francis

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Outside of football?

7 hours ago, Cisse said:

I was a bit surprised that Kobe Bryant was not so well known by everyone here in a sports forum. So I decided to start a new thread for showing appreciation towards monsters of sports that everyone doesn't know or remember anymore.

Please feel free to tell stories or your memories of these athletes as you see fit.

Here's some of my Hall of Fame Athletes

Cassius Clay

Pele

Edwin Moses

Walter Payton

Matti Nykänen

Ayrton Senna

Ron Francis

obviously for his work with confronting the problems of erectile disfunction

Fancy?! Hmmm

Anthony Joshua has boosted the sport of boxing in a way nobody would have dreamed of

Lewis Hamilton. As Brits we are supposed to be crap or just not quite good enough. Hamilton must be German because he's an easy winner

Tyson Fury is mentally all over the place. Which makes him more of a hero in my eyes. Breaks the perfect idol cliche. But his achievements and success against the odds are inspiring. 

Ronnie O'Sullivan. Don't like him. He's a dick. But can't help but admire his talent. Been phenomenal for snooker. An entertainer and unreal talent. 

Hall of Fame

Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Andre Agassi, Joe Montana, Mike Tyson, Colin McCrea, Jonnie Wilkinson, Michael Johnson, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Jimmy White, Phil Taylor, Stephie Graff, Wayne Gardner

Currently Active

Lewis Hamilton, Lebron James, Murray/Federer/Nadal, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Rose, Dina Asher-Smith, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Valentino Rossi.

1 minute ago, ramsbottom said:

Hall of Fame

Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Andre Agassi, Joe Montana, Mike Tyson, Colin McCrea, Jonnie Wilkinson, Michael Johnson, Jessica Ennis-Hill, Jimmy White, Phil Taylor, Stephie Graff, Wayne Gardner

Currently Active

Lewis Hamilton, Lebron James, Murray/Federer/Nadal, Patrick Mahomes, Justin Rose, Dina Asher-Smith, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Valentino Rossi.

we you consider that Johnson Thompson has subsequently beat Jess' best it is strange that a lot still see her as top banana,  Jess is only 7th in the all time list

1 hour ago, Spanish said:

we you consider that Johnson Thompson has subsequently beat Jess' best it is strange that a lot still see her as top banana,  Jess is only 7th in the all time list

I have no clue about who holds the Heptathlon records, but I know exactly who won gold at London 2012. Sport isn't always about who is the best statistically. If it were, then nobody would remember Leicester's title win.

My favourite sportsmen outside of football are (past and present);

Golf: Rory McIIroy, Justin Rose and Nick Faldo

Tennis: Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic and Tim Henman

Cricket:  Jimmy Anderson, Stuart Broad and Kevin Peterson

Snooker:  Ronnie O'Sullivan

Can't really think of any others although there might be some.  No women on the list as I don't watch much, if any, women's sport.

Archived