v Luton Town (A) - Matchday Thread

Rampant

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Nick_Ram said:

I don't think it's been all that bad. We just have no game in the final third.

No way near as bad as we've been in a number of away games this season, but for me this is still pretty woeful. We can't trouble them in behind because there's no pace so we have to play into feet which isn't working because Waghorn can't control a ball. When we do get forward and Luton have everyone back, we don't utilise the wings anywhere near enough. Lawrence and Lowe both keep cutting inside and passing it short and Knight and Bogle have put in maybe 3 crosses between them, all of which were low and didn't beat the first man. So we don't have the pace to trouble them in behind, can't use Waghorn to hold the ball up to bring others into play and don't want to try and create chances from crosses. All that's left is hoping someone scores a screamer from distance or that we can somehow cut through the middle of 8 or 9 Luton players with intricate passing.

We have millions of pounds worth of talent in attacking areas and England's greatest ever goalscorer, but with Cocu's system (particularly in away games) we just don't trouble the opposition nearly enough. 

6 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Angle wasn't great.

Could be; but I'm not sure it was stonewall. If the ref believes the shot got away before the contact, it usually isn't given as a foul (although it will be if the ball stays in play).
I feel like I see people shoot wide/over all the time and get clattered as it happens and have never seen a penalty given for it. I assume there's a rule about it but maybe its just tradition ? 

Disagree in that the ball's in front of Lawrence and the defender's behind him. Defender makes a desperate lunge to try to stop the shot and can only do that by going straight through Lawrence. 

The good news is that we tend to be better in the second half. Let's hope for that tonight. 

Good work by Derby, Bird especially, sees Holmes find Waghorn in the area but his shot is blocked; followup from Holmes also blocked. Luton scramble it out for a throw.

Bogle gets lucky after a short Bird pass, and runs it up to Knight who finds a half-decent cross that Luton clear.

Luton then attack; but overhit their own cross for a goalkick. 

Rooney with a pass out to Knight on the right who hits a great first time cross across the 6 yard box but no-ones in position to attack it. 

Archived