Mason Bennett - Left for Millwall

RiddingsRam

• Replies 541
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Fair enough I don’t agree but that’s all about opinions 

As in you think Shotton was really poor? Or you think Bennett is really good?

Bennett has all the physical attributes of a good footballer - I just don't think he seems smart enough to use them - More often than not he makes the wrong decision and I can't think of any time he's taken an option which isn't the simplest option - He's done less in 8 years trying to break through than Sibley, Bird and Knight have done in half a season - I'd have Knight ahead of him any day of any week against anyone

Just like Shotton I think Bennett has the chance of a good long career in the championship - But I don't think he's ever going to be a Premier League quality player - And we need to be signing players now who have the chance of being the base for a Premier League side in the future (or at the very least getting us there)

Mason Bennett has the tools to be a dangerous player at this level. He’s quick, powerful, direct and not too bad in the air. The problems with Mason are his end product and his fitness, and it’s probably fair to say the latter has probably had a big impact on the former. 

Because of his lack of end product it has been difficult to form a convincing argument to start him in games, but as Lampard showed last season, he can be really useful coming off the bench and causing tired defences problems for 20 minutes. The issue is, he isn’t fit enough of the time to be a reliable option for us. 

But as we all know it isn’t simply about Mason’s on pitch performances. His involvement in the drunk driving incident lowered his stock in a large section of the fan base, and as people started to move on, the snapchat video was leaked. It’s best for him and for us to move him on. At 23 he has enough time, fitness permitting, to live some of that potential he had which led to him making his debut at 15 and a fresh start may just help him with that.

For me, it’s time to move him on, there’s too much baggage now, but we shouldn’t let Millwall lowball us on fees. Corona or injuries, we agreed a deal and hopefully all parties stick to it. In 5 years we might be regretting letting him go, but I feel the same injury issues will follow him where he goes and it will be another sad case of unfulfilled potential. 

4 hours ago, cheron85 said:

As in you think Shotton was really poor? Or you think Bennett is really good?

Bennett has all the physical attributes of a good footballer - I just don't think he seems smart enough to use them - More often than not he makes the wrong decision and I can't think of any time he's taken an option which isn't the simplest option - He's done less in 8 years trying to break through than Sibley, Bird and Knight have done in half a season - I'd have Knight ahead of him any day of any week against anyone

Just like Shotton I think Bennett has the chance of a good long career in the championship - But I don't think he's ever going to be a Premier League quality player - And we need to be signing players now who have the chance of being the base for a Premier League side in the future (or at the very least getting us there)

Both decent for the championship, Bennett needs a run of games at full fitness which is his major problem because he has never had that run of top fitness to be regularly selected 

2 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Both decent for the championship, Bennett needs a run of games at full fitness which is his major problem because he has never had that run of top fitness to be regularly selected 

Yeh, but that's the problem with Bennett for me - Decent for the championship isn't the level we're aiming for

Lawrence, Waggers and Knight are all better inside forwards - Martin, Waggers and Marriott are all better strikers

Then we have Josefzoon who I don't rate but think offers about as much as Bennett - And we have other young wingers coming through 

I just don't see what he adds to the squad - He's not good enough to be first choice and keeping him around blocks the route to the first team for the u23s

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

At least one Derby player is looking likely for the play offs 

Doubt it. If Cardiff can get at least a draw at Boro, their last match is home to Hull who will most likely have been relegated by tgen.

1 hour ago, TomSaint said:

Think we’ll see Bennett sign a one year extension like butter field/Johnson did so we can atleast get a few quid for him ??

I believe that happened before he went to Millwall - we actually need him based on what we are watching if he could stay injury free

1 hour ago, Sparkle said:

I believe that happened before he went to Millwall - we actually need him based on what we are watching if he could stay injury free

Sorry but if we "need" him we are worse off than I thought. He had plenty of time to make a real impact at Derby. I hope he has a good career but agree With others its time to part ways. Frank seemed to love him so if that was sincere assume we can expect a big money offer from Chelsea ??

On 19/07/2020 at 19:31, Sparkle said:

We don't need Mason Bennett and we don't need Tom Lawrence.

I'd rather be competing in League One with a squad who I like rather than a team of scum who should be behind bars.

Archived