Jayden Mitchell-Lawson - loaned to Bristol Rovers to end of the season

Animal is a Ram

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

it was Lampard who game him his debut.

I’m getting old. I was convinced that was under rowett. Must have just been a crap game ?

53 minutes ago, Srg said:

Not saying you're wrong, but they're all different positions.

Sort of... JML has played best when on the right wing but is just as comfortable playing on the left. We've seen Knight play on both wings (although not him primary position), and we've also seen Whittaker play in his preferred position on the right (who is comfortable playing as a CF and capable on the left). Even Sibley has played the occasional game on the wing. 

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Sort of... JML has played best when on the right wing but is just as comfortable playing on the left. We've seen Knight play on both wings (although not him primary position), and we've also seen Whittaker play in his preferred position on the right (who is comfortable playing as a CF and capable on the left). Even Sibley has played the occasional game on the wing. 

Not true wingers in the same sense though, JML is more of a get to byline and cross type. It's about instructions within the system, i guess.

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I'd forgotten about Elsnik, who hasn't even got a club now. He looked extremely promising at one point, never got a chance and now not even in work! 

I'm sure he will land on his feet, even if he never gets back to Championship level, he has too much ability not to do something. Thomas hasn't been awful for Barnsley, but hasn't done too much. Barnsley fans don't hate him. 

Feel like Elsnik was a victim of Rowett’s regime and then having Mount the next season.

54 minutes ago, JustOneChrissyMartin said:

Feel like Elsnik was a victim of Rowett’s regime and then having Mount the next season.

23 minutes ago, Duracell said:

He's been without a club since July I think?

Can't believe Elsnik isn't at another club, but I always thought he was more suited to a higher level. Still only 21. Feel he should ask to train at Moor Farm to get his fitness/sharpness back and then maybe Cocu will see him, put him into the U23s for a trial and then give him a new contract.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

Can't believe Elsnik isn't at another club, but I always thought he was more suited to a higher level. Still only 21. Feel he should ask to train at Moor Farm to get his fitness/sharpness back and then maybe Cocu will see him, put him into the U23s for a trial and then give him a new contract.

Maybe there was other issues than playing skills? We see so little from the outside.

Not completely convinced it's the best choice of club for him if I'm honest. League One is great, but Rovers have achieved their relative success this season playing almost exclusively with five across the back and no wingers. The wingers they've had have either been pushed to full back (Rodman) or frozen out of the first team (Bennett). My only hope is that the new manager is looking to switch things up, and the arrival of JML indicates a desire to move towards a 4-3-3 or similar formation long term. Could struggle to get in otherwise. 

On 06/01/2020 at 16:21, Carl Sagan said:

Pass a message to the Club, Carl. 

17 hours ago, Rampage said:

Pass a message to the Club, Carl. 

Earlier in the season I suggested it to Timi. He's been living in Derby till a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know if he made it back to Moor Farm at all. Feel for him as a young kid in a foreign country losing his job and maybe his sense of purpose.

You can't live these youngster's lives for them. Seemed to me he had all the ability in the world, but he's got to put himself in the shop window and I don't see that he's been doing that. "If I knew then what I know now..."

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Earlier in the season I suggested it to Timi. He's been living in Derby till a couple of weeks ago, but I don't know if he made it back to Moor Farm at all. Feel for him as a young kid in a foreign country losing his job and maybe his sense of purpose.

You can't live these youngster's lives for them. Seemed to me he had all the ability in the world, but he's got to put himself in the shop window and I don't see that he's been doing that. "If I knew then what I know now..."

Well said Carl. I too thought that he was very talented. Nothing to do with Timi but Rooney said that he played with players who did not even like football but just used football as a way of earning money pretty much like every other walk of life. Timi may have had more chance with Frank or Cocu.

• 3 weeks later...
On 08/01/2020 at 19:11, Rampage said:

Well said Carl. I too thought that he was very talented. Nothing to do with Timi but Rooney said that he played with players who did not even like football but just used football as a way of earning money pretty much like every other walk of life. Timi may have had more chance with Frank or Cocu.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/16/the-joy-of-six-footballers-who-can-take-or-leave-football

Remember Assou-Ekotto at Spurs in particular saying he didn't like football and it was just a job. 

Personally know someone who played a fair few games for 2 big championship clubs but had no love for the game. Circumstances saw him become a free agent and he dropped down to play for a more local league team rather than try to stay at that level. The desire just wasn't there and he ended up drifting further down to non-league fairly quickly, and eventually giving up and going to work for a family member instead. Daft sod also gambled/drank his substantial wages away so has nothing to show for it. 

7 minutes ago, Rample said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/blog/2018/aug/16/the-joy-of-six-footballers-who-can-take-or-leave-football

Remember Assou-Ekotto at Spurs in particular saying he didn't like football and it was just a job. 

Personally know someone who played a fair few games for 2 big championship clubs but had no love for the game. Circumstances saw him become a free agent and he dropped down to play for a more local league team rather than try to stay at that level. The desire just wasn't there and he ended up drifting further down to non-league fairly quickly, and eventually giving up and going to work for a family member instead. Daft sod also gambled/drank his substantial wages away so has nothing to show for it. 

I often tell the story, but I bumped into Rob Hulse on an away day at Villa, he said it was the first game he had attended since retiring, he was only taking his nephew. He said he wasnt interested in football and only did it as a job, he said he had the opportunity to go to Boro but didn't see the point as he was already being paid.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

I often tell the story, but I bumped into Rob Hulse on an away day at Villa, he said it was the first game he had attended since retiring, he was only taking his nephew. He said he wasnt interested in football and only did it as a job, he said he had the opportunity to go to Boro but didn't see the point as he was already being paid.

Read a similar thing in an interview with Batistuta when he was at Fiorentina. Reckoned he had no interest in football at all.  Couldn't even be arsed to watch it on telly.  Probably more than we think.  Lot's of people do a job for 10 years they really don't like if the pays that good.

Archived