The Politics Thread 2020

26 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

But it’s the government, they’re supposed to govern, lead, & reassure in uncertain times. What we get is buzz words and crappy slogans. 

We’ll be expected to use common sense, but since when has the Great British Public been known for their collective common sense??

The Express and Telegraph are commenting about Johnson only confiding with the so  called "Quad" , Gove, Sunak, Raab and Hancock and not the Cabinet. The statement was agreed and recorded with just those four (and their advisers) itk according to them.

If the cabinet are not consulted and on message then it would explain some of the mixed messages coming out and leaks to the media.

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

That's fair enough.

Who do you think is 'up to it'?

What have you seen from countries comparable to ours to suggest that our Government is not 'up to it'?

To be honest the last politician I felt interested in hearing was rory Stewart ,he came across as honest and having a capacity to listen and think and speak without a speechwriter, wasn’t afraid to tell it how he saw it even if it cost him , could be wrong as I don’t know enough about him but that was my gut ,, the new Zealand prime minister comes across very well , from a distance the German government seem far more efficient and business like 

I accept I bore most people with my view that we have lost our politics to reality show wanna be s 

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

To be honest the last politician I felt interested in hearing was rory Stewart ,he came across as honest and having a capacity to listen and think and speak without a speechwriter, wasn’t afraid to tell it how he saw it even if it cost him , could be wrong as I don’t know enough about him but that was my gut ,, the new Zealand prime minister comes across very well , from a distance the German government seem far more efficient and business like 

I accept I bore most people with my view that we have lost our politics to reality show wanna be s 

Of course Swedish gov come across well too

13 minutes ago, Archied said:

Right you working class cannon fodder get your arses out there , middle upper class ,as you were ?

Been out here for 6 weeks, mate. 

Theres nothing happening. Not round here anyway. 

24 minutes ago, Archied said:

Right you working class cannon fodder get your arses out there , middle upper class ,as you were ?

For those struggling with definitions:

Middle Class:   a social group that consists of well-educated people, such as doctors, lawyers, and teachers, who have good jobs and are not poor,

Some "cannon fodder" in there 

The working class (or labouring class) comprises those engaged in waged or salaried labour, especially in manual-labour occupations and industrial work. Working-class occupations  include blue-collar jobs, some white-collar jobs, and most pink-collar jobs

4 minutes ago, FindernRam said:

For those struggling with definitions:

Middle Class:   a social group that consists of well-educated people, such as doctors, lawyers, and teachers, who have good jobs and are not poor,

Some "cannon fodder" in there 

The working class (or labouring class) comprises those engaged in waged or salaried labour, especially in manual-labour occupations and industrial work. Working-class occupations  include blue-collar jobs, some white-collar jobs, and most pink-collar jobs

Erm , we are talking about instructions regards the economy ,not key workers 

7 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

EXt1O79WoAAFctd?format=jpg&name=900x900

But apart from that - he's doing a great job

So he hasnt addressed the House of Commons in the time that it was closed or he was in hospital? That's disgusting.

12 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So he hasnt addressed the House of Commons in the time that it was closed or he was in hospital? That's disgusting.

I see that you continue to defend the indefensible. I daresay your usual gang of cohorts will all support you in this venture.

20 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I see that you continue to defend the indefensible. I daresay your usual gang of cohorts will all support you in this venture.

And no doubt you and your cohorts will continue to stick the knife in at every opportunity.

FWIW I'm not particularly a BJ nor a Tory fan but don't see the problem tbh.  We've been getting daily updates from the Government, who delivers them is neither here nor there for me. 

With regards to BJ himself the House of Commons has been shut, he has been on paternity leave and he has been in intensive care - who knows whether he is even 100% fit again?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/07/the-road-to-recovery-for-covid-19-patients

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Why is it indefensible?

So you think he should have been delivering updates while in intensive care?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

And the rest of the time? When parliament was open, and he was avoiding scrutiny?

I was expecting this response to be honest, and it proves my theory that certain posters will just disagree with me on principle because it's me posting it.

Yes parliament was closed for a week in February, and then from the end of March to April 21st (mostly when Johnson was ill)

And yes, after that he chose to take paternity leave during the greatest national crisis of a lifetime.

But apart from that, is it not too much to expect our leader to actually lead - when the opportunity presents itself? There have basically been 2 full months of parliament sitting in 2020 when he hasn't been ill, and yesterday was his second visit this year.

Fair enough if you think that is "good enough" but I think you're in the minority

Also fair enough if you're "not particularly a BJ fan" and you are just choosing to pretend it;s OK because you can' t bring yourself to admit i'm right

I really don't know why we don't just get this sorted.

There are so many experts out there who can obviously do things better, based I assume, on what we did last time we had a worldwide coronavirus epidemic. ☺️?

5 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

And the rest of the time? When parliament was open, and he was avoiding scrutiny?

I was expecting this response to be honest, and it proves my theory that certain posters will just disagree with me on principle because it's me posting it.

Yes parliament was closed for a week in February, and then from the end of March to April 21st (mostly when Johnson was ill)

And yes, after that he chose to take paternity leave during the greatest national crisis of a lifetime.

But apart from that, is it not too much to expect our leader to actually lead - when the opportunity presents itself? There have basically been 2 full months of parliament sitting in 2020 when he hasn't been ill, and yesterday was his second visit this year.

Fair enough if you think that is "good enough" but I think you're in the minority

Also fair enough if you're "not particularly a BJ fan" and you are just choosing to pretend it;s OK because you can' t bring yourself to admit i'm right.

sad face GIF

23 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

But apart from that, is it not too much to expect our leader to actually lead - when the opportunity presents itself?

Do you want to clarify how you think a leader should lead?

Archived