The Politics Thread 2020

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So all people from Britain are white and everyone from outside of Britain is non white? You learn something new every day.

Yes, I know exactly what prejudice means, can you please highlight the parts of my quote that were prejudiced?

What again?

Here you are then:

I just do not see how importing lots of people that do not agree with Western values into areas where many are going to contribute anything to society, and will therefore be looked down upon by existing inhabitants

If you know what prejudice means, and more to the point that it doesn't have to be about skin colour, then why did you try to defend yourself by saying:

Can you point me to the posts where I mentioned skin colour?

By the way, who said all people in Britain are white and all those outside of Britain are not white?

• Replies 9.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

What again?

Here you are then:

If you know what prejudice means, and more to the point that it doesn't have to be about skin colour, then why did you try to defend yourself by saying:

By the way, who said all people in Britain are white and all those outside of Britain are not white?

Fair enough if you see it is as prejudiced.

Are all the people that dont share my values prejudiced against me too then?

It was you that brought skin colour into the argument. Saying something about white british people.

I then asked you where I had mentioned skin colour and you quoted where I had said about people with different cultures and values.

11 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

British values. ?? ?? ?? 

The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew. Boris and Maggie. The SAS. Winning two world wars. Up yours Delors. Sinking retreating enemy ships. Shoot to kill suspected terrorists. Kicking striking miners heads in with cavalry and batons. Blue passports. Roast beef and gravy. Leather on willow. Big Brave Soldiers. 

Everything that makes this country great. 

Yawn. Boring. Might get you a few of the likes you are after though.

21 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

British values. ?? ?? ?? 

The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew. Boris and Maggie. The SAS. Winning two world wars. Up yours Delors. Sinking retreating enemy ships. Shoot to kill suspected terrorists. Kicking striking miners heads in with cavalry and batons. Blue passports. Roast beef and gravy. Leather on willow. Big Brave Soldiers. 

Everything that makes this country great. 

1. The Queen, Prince Charles, Prince Andrew...They hold no value in my household.

2. Boris and Maggie...Only to some.

3. The SAS...Possibly the Worlds best Military Force.

4. Winning two world wars...Not without the might of the USA and others.

5. Up yours Delors=General de Gaulle when saying "non" to the UK joining a European project.

6. Sinking retreating enemy ships...A bit naughty that, Then so was invading the Falklands.

7. Shoot to kill suspected terrorists...Or kill Terrorists...the Iranian Embassy Seige

8. Kicking striking miners heads in with cavalry and batons...A good day was had there with the miners.

9. Blue passports...A lovely colour.

10. Roast beef and gravy...With roast potatoes, Peas, Carrots and yorkshire pudding.

11. Leather on willow...Makes a great sound when being hit for a 6.

12. Big Brave Soldiers...Absolutely agree, I for one am glad they are there.

And number 13 is Fish n Chips with a carton of Mushy Peas.

6 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Interesting. What about the 2 nurses singled out by Bojo for the care he received whilst in ICU at Saint Thomas, should they be allowed to stay ?

I am wondering if he's thinking about that whilst recovering at Checkers.

The first thing Johnson did was to announce plans to increase the yearly NHS surcharge for all non-EU staff from £400 to £625 and to extend it to all EU citizens who migrate to the UK after Brexit. I expect him to call those plans off.

33 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

I can't win. Criticism whichever political side I take! 

I just feel you've somewhat over Laboured the point.

Maybe a more conservative attitude, without the liberal sprinkling of cynicism may help.

Interesting series of 7 tweets here (just linked the first, click on the tweet to view the rest);

Basically since Covid-19, trust in the government is up (regardless of left/right divide) and trust in the media has never been lower...

EVihDmuWoAArlSZ.jpg

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

Interesting series of 7 tweets here (just linked the first, click on the tweet to view the rest);

Basically since Covid-19, trust in the government is up (regardless of left/right divide) and trust in the media has never been lower...

EVihDmuWoAArlSZ.jpg

That is interesting. It's interesting to see that confidence in central US government is down too. I am a little surprised in that, but I guess Central Government in the US means a few different things.

1 hour ago, maxjam said:

EVihDmuWoAArlSZ.jpg

There's no winners only losers in this case, The media have only had the Covid-19 case to report in the main, Government critics will use any tool to hit them with and PPE is one hell of a tool, We'll never know if another Government would/could have done any better in the same circumstances.

The British are a stoic people, We'll moan/complain but accept that new rules are inplace for the betterment of us, You'll get a certain % of the population that will stick 2 fingers up and say this doesn't affect me, Or those like David Icke or Eamonn Holmes pointing an accusing finger at the 5G network as a conspiracy and breading ground for the Coronavirus.

The only magic wand we have is time, There'll be 10s of 1000s more deaths worldwide before we see a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel, Globalism will be looked at, Fingers will be pointed but for me the Government are doing the best they can with the cards they've been dealt with, No criticism from me ?

In times of crises populations generally rally around their government or leader. In the short-term at least.  I'd say that effect would be even more pronounced when that leader has taken ill himself only to recover (thankfully) and bounce back. 

Not sure why populations seem to be more aware of the media's shortcoming now more than before Covid-19

Sith Happens
6 minutes ago, Highgate said:

In times of crises populations generally rally around their government or leader. In the short-term at least.  I'd say that effect would be even more pronounced when that leader has taken ill himself only to recover (thankfully) and bounce back. 

Not sure why populations seem to be more aware of the media's shortcoming now more than before Covid-19

The media are a lot to blame for the panic buying that happened....they reveled in posting images of it and it made big headlines, this caused a domino effect. If they hadn't done this and forced hundreds/thousands into confined spaces maybe the spread may have been managed better.

They were a lot to blame for the banking crisis too but publishing scaremongering stories which led to people queuing round the block to withdraw their savings from the likes of Northern Rock.

10 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

The media are a lot to blame for the panic buying that happened....they reveled in posting images of it and it made big headlines, this caused a domino effect. If they hadn't done this and forced hundreds/thousands into confined spaces maybe the spread may have been managed better.

They were a lot to blame for the banking crisis too but publishing scaremongering stories which led to people queuing round the block to withdraw their savings from the likes of Northern Rock.

Yeah, I'm sure there is a lot of truth in that.  But weren't the general public aware that the media is deeply flawed and often more interested in viewership figures than actual honest and informative reporting?  People shouldn't just have become aware of this now. 

16 minutes ago, Highgate said:

Yeah, I'm sure there is a lot of truth in that.  But weren't the general public aware that the media is deeply flawed and often more interested in viewership figures than actual honest and informative reporting?  People shouldn't just have become aware of this now. 

correct donald trump GIF by Election 2016

7 minutes ago, Highgate said:

The General public are made up of many social structures, Not all will read or watch the media(news channels), What is actual honest reporting?, Do you believe in all if any news story, These news worthy stories are there to get our attention, Brexit(Leave and Remain)had huge holes in each of their truths, Covid-19 will be no different, I neither watch news on TV or read any news papers, I get all information from the internet whether Fact or Fiction from there I make a valid judgement.

Paul71 is spot on on his assesment our our media ?

Today in Scotland from the BBC website reporting PPE being diverted from Scotland to England.

Comment 1.

Reports of a possible problem came from Dr Macaskill who told BBC Radio Scotland that the UK's four largest PPE suppliers said they were not sending to Scotland because their priority was going to be "England, the English NHS and then English social care providers".

Comment 2.

Prof Jason Leitch, speaking on the Good Morning Scotland programme, said: "We have looked into it and we think it's rubbish.

"So do the companies, and our colleagues at NHS England yesterday when we spoke to them, said it wasn't true.

Has one or both a Political agenda?

Find it rather odd how people are willing to dismiss all mainstream media as untrustworthy. While happily believing some random item posted by a mate of a mate's hairdresser on WhatsApp is true. Or more worryingly believing the rantings of some loonie on a website, that's been set up with the sole purpose of spreading rumours and lies.

Archived