Rob Dickie - signed for QPR

Fraser_23

13 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Clarke’s better suited to playing out from the back than Davies... I cant remember a single bad pass from Clarke all season, whereas Davies seems to make one shocker almost every game.

Clarke's also been caught out of position several times and his confidence seemed to take a nose dive after the Bristol City game (I think it was that one) where they gave him a rough time

I don't think Davies is the best defender we have any more necessarily - But he's still a solid 7/10 championship CB and a leader - He's the guy we need in there to shout and encourage, organise and drag the players up by the scruff of their neck if needed - I like Clarke but he's not that character yet and probably never will be for us since he's going back at the end of the season

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Clarke's also been caught out of position several times and his confidence seemed to take a nose dive after the Bristol City game (I think it was that one) where they gave him a rough time

I don't think Davies is the best defender we have any more necessarily - But he's still a solid 7/10 championship CB and a leader - He's the guy we need in there to shout and encourage, organise and drag the players up by the scruff of their neck if needed - I like Clarke but he's not that character yet and probably never will be for us since he's going back at the end of the season

I think Davies right now is awful. He can't pass and he's far too slow.

Yes he appears to be making last ditch tackles and blocks, which I think fans tend to think is a good thing, but in my opinion it's because he's out of position in the first place. The best defenders out there arnt consistently making goal saving challenges, because they've already dealt with the threat way before it has escalated. He's no way near a solid.

As for being a leader, he's even worse than that than he is as a defender. He doesn't 'get a grip' of the team at all. I'm looking forward to Rooney coming in and hopefully taking the arm band from Davies. 

7 minutes ago, Nick_Ram said:

Yes he appears to be making last ditch tackles and blocks, which I think fans tend to think is a good thing, but in my opinion it's because he's out of position in the first place. The best defenders out there arnt consistently making goal saving challenges, because they've already dealt with the threat way before it has escalated. He's no way near a solid.

I strongly disagree - The only reason a CB would be making a challenge is if the midfield have failed to deal with someone at the edge of the box - And making blocks because he's out of position? The only way to make a block is if you're in the right position - If you're out of position then you aren't gonna be in the right place to make a block

Most great defensive sides deal with the threat before it gets to the CBs - They're the last line of defence if everyone else gets beaten - I actually think in the majority of our games this season that's been working, we're not exactly shipping millions of goals - At championship level only conceding a single goal a game should give you a very good chance to win the game 

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I strongly disagree - The only reason a CB would be making a challenge is if the midfield have failed to deal with someone at the edge of the box - And making blocks because he's out of position? The only way to make a block is if you're in the right position - If you're out of position then you aren't gonna be in the right place to make a block

Most great defensive sides deal with the threat before it gets to the CBs - They're the last line of defence if everyone else gets beaten - I actually think in the majority of our games this season that's been working, we're not exactly shipping millions of goals - At championship level only conceding a single goal a game should give you a very good chance to win the game 

Think he was touching more on this idea
image.thumb.png.213664a8b90c2495a3adb3f50761bb80.png

As good defender as Maldini was, I wholeheartedly disagree with him. Tackling is the funniest part of the game when you're defender (Of course, nutmegging is the best wherever you play).  Especially when the forward is not expecting it. Just awesome.

But almost quoting him, I'd say if defender have to run, one has already made a mistake.

20 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

As good defender as Maldini was, I wholeheartedly disagree with him. Tackling is the funniest part of the game when you're defender (Of course, nutmegging is the best wherever you play).  Especially when the forward is not expecting it. Just awesome.

But almost quoting him, I'd say if defender have to run, one has already made a mistake.

I'd argue they don't play football for fun though? I know what you mean though, surely sometimes a quick tackle to dispossess the opposition and start a counter is the best course of action?

Just now, YorkshireRam said:

I'd argue they don't play football for fun though? I know what you mean though, surely sometimes a quick tackle to dispossess the opposition and start a counter is the best course of action?

I think you're right, it certainly doesn't look like our lot are having fun. When average footballers don't enjoy playing, that's what we are witnessing at the moment.

23 minutes ago, Sean said:

Liking what I see against City so far. Looks like he's marking Sterling and keeping him quiet, very vocal at the back and seems to be good positionally.

Didnt realise he was captain, potential future captain for us. Played a few nice passes out from the back, interesting he plays on the right. Cocu does like players playing on the side of their strongest foot, I also dont think Cocu is overly convinced by Davies either.

29 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Didnt realise he was captain, potential future captain for us. Played a few nice passes out from the back, interesting he plays on the right. Cocu does like players playing on the side of their strongest foot, I also dont think Cocu is overly convinced by Davies either.

Agree although some of his longer range passing has not been so good...Oxford play some decent stuff and have a couple of decent players .....also ..interesting that a proven league 1 manager like Robinson was on verge of being sacked this time last season now they’re flying ....i

3 hours ago, MK-Ram said:

Based on his performance last night, he may be worth the gamble for a few million.  We will need much more than him though to turn this around.

Can we really afford to "gamble a few million" yet again? Our financial situation over the last few years has in part been due to the money spent on bringing the likes of Johnson, Anya and Butterfield to the club. 

6 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Can we really afford to "gamble a few million" yet again? Our financial situation over the last few years has in part been due to the money spent on bringing the likes of Johnson, Anya and Butterfield to the club. 

Dickie is the captain of his side at 23 years old, so still very young.

We took the gamble with Richard Keogh (although his fee was a bit less i think!)

He was quality against one of the best teams in England plus everyone at Oxford rates him massively.

I don't think you can compare the likes of BJ, IA, JB to bringing in a centre back - but that's my personal opinion.

He seems to have the traits we require, but as Anag Ram said, he over hit a number of passes (but maybe you could just put that down to pressure/nerves of coming up against a top top top team)

I'm never usually one to say "Oh yeah lets go spend a couple mill on a player in the lower leagues" but based off that performance and how highly rated he is by the club, by fans, I'd say go for it.

Future Derby County captain ? 

10 minutes ago, Squid said:

Dickie is the captain of his side at 23 years old, so still very young.

We took the gamble with Richard Keogh (although his fee was a bit less i think!)

He was quality against one of the best teams in England plus everyone at Oxford rates him massively.

I don't think you can compare the likes of BJ, IA, JB to bringing in a centre back - but that's my personal opinion.

He seems to have the traits we require, but as Anag Ram said, he over hit a number of passes (but maybe you could just put that down to pressure/nerves of coming up against a top top top team)

I'm never usually one to say "Oh yeah lets go spend a couple mill on a player in the lower leagues" but based off that performance and how highly rated he is by the club, by fans, I'd say go for it.

Future Derby County captain ? 

I don't necessarily disagree with your assessment of this player - my point really was about how easy it is for fans to say 'let's gamble a few million' when it's someone else's dosh. More than ever before we need to be as certain as we can be in this minefield of football transfers that we get value for money so I'm hoping that Cocu is totally involved in the process and that the final decisions on who we bring in are his and not down to the 'recruitment team'.

Archived