Pochettino

G STAR RAM

Simply saying "Mourinho wins things" is pointless without context. A Europa League and an League cup cost Man Utd a net spend of 300 million under Mourinho. Whilst Pochettino didn't win a trophy, he turned Spurs into top 4 regulars and CL finalists with a net spend of just over 30 million. Do you really believe the notoriously tight fisted Daniel Levy will provide Mourinho with that kind of money and if he does will he be happy with a return of two 2nd class trophies and patchy CL qualification?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Anon said:

Simply saying "Mourinho wins things" is pointless without context. A Europa League and an League cup cost Man Utd a net spend of 300 million under Mourinho. Whilst Pochettino didn't win a trophy, he turned Spurs into top 4 regulars and CL finalists with a net spend of just over 30 million. Do you really believe the notoriously tight fisted Daniel Levy will provide Mourinho with that kind of money and if he does will he be happy with a return of two 2nd class trophies and patchy CL qualification?

But it might get rid of the current 'losers' tag? Is that worth paying for. Of course if he doesn't bring success they'll just look like another Arsenal! Be easier to attract/keep/sell players/managers with a winners tag imho.

10 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

But it might get rid of the current 'losers' tag? Is that worth paying for. Of course if he doesn't bring success they'll just look like another Arsenal! Be easier to attract/keep/sell players/managers with a winners tag imho.

In which case he may have been better off give Pochettino some proper funds to spend...

This has been coming let’s be honest, not sure I buy it’s based off results from the backend of last season and into this, trouble has been brewing for a while between Poch and Levy, wasn’t pleased that no players were brought in last season and the grumbling continued into this year.

My guess would be friction behind the scenes with a thought his heart wasn’t in it, just waiting for the Real job to come around and he’s off.

Now that’s all fine after the initial surprise, but to appoint Mourinho, I love the guy but him and Levy will not get on at all unless Levy is ready to open the chequebook, which if he was, why not do it for Poch?

11 hours ago, Pearl Ram said:

I suppose Spurs are up to their eyes in it with that stadium to pay for, they were probably banking on successive season’s Champions League qualification for the next few years and Levy had a squeaky bum moment...or not ?

Absolutely this.  They're mortgaged up to the tits on the new stadium, so need CL every season to pay it.  He doesn't care about trophies, he cares about the balance sheet and securing the next official worldwide quinoa partner for the concourses.  There's no way Jose's boom or bust approach is gonna mesh with the tightness of the purse strings.

I guess that's that's England's Euro 2020 ambitions up in smoke, when Kane is replaced with a battering ram of Lukaku proportions in January... 

For all of those people saying that Jose is a bad fit for Spurs.

You should refer back to his time at Porto, Inter and Chelsea where he won trophies he had no right to win and took teams to levels they didn’t anticipate.

Porto and Inter were not the best sides in Europe when he won the Champions League with those clubs. No one would have predicted their success, and it wasn’t all down to spending.

Chelsea still had to see off United and Arsenal when competing for league titles in 2005 and 2006, and of course City in 2015. No mean feat at that time, even with Abramovich’s millions.

Everyone is going to use his time at United and Madrid as a reference point and say Spurs and Mourinho are at odds with each other.

Spurs are a completely different animal. The task for Mourinho is to see if he can take them to the next level, to see if he can get them winning trophies they have no right to win.

The difference being at United and at Madrid, they thought they had a right to win everything and so when they didn’t, of course Mourinho’s reputation suffered.

At Porto, Inter and Chelsea, he proved himself capable of elevating a group of players through excellent man management and tactics and getting the best out of them. It wasn’t all about £££.

I would actually say Mourinho and Spurs are actually a very good fit if the whole club buys into what he wants, and both sides have done their due diligence.

There are plenty of young managers out there - Howe, Wilder, Nagelsmann, Ten Hag - that Spurs could have brought in as ‘Pochettino Lite’, and they would have probably ended up standing still.

I can see why people have their reservations but I don’t think Spurs go another 12 years without a trophy with Mourinho in charge.

1 hour ago, Anon said:

How much did he spend at Inter and at Porto? 

3 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Mourinho versus Daniel Levy? I smell a sitcom. Thos two will be banging heads within six months and it wont be Levy that leaves when it all comes to it's inevitable climax.

Don’t you think Levy would have weighed this up before making the appointment though, and spoke to Jose and understood if they could work together?

Have you thought that maybe Levy doesn’t want another yes man? Another pushover? Another nearly man?

Sometimes you need someone to challenge you to bring the best out of you. Maybe Levy sees Jose as the man who he can’t refuse to back because his record is there for all to see.

If Jose can achieve even a tenth of what he has done in his career in his new job with Spurs, Levy will be vindicated.

30 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Don’t you think Levy would have weighed this up before making the appointment though, and spoke to Jose and understood if they could work together?

Have you thought that maybe Levy doesn’t want another yes man? Another pushover? Another nearly man?

Sometimes you need someone to challenge you to bring the best out of you. Maybe Levy sees Jose as the man who he can’t refuse to back because his record is there for all to see.

If Jose can achieve even a tenth of what he has done in his career in his new job with Spurs, Levy will be vindicated.

I just don't see it working.  Are Vertongen, Rose, Erikssen, and Al Wiedersehne Pet all going to get the deals they want now he's in charge?  Levy's the one who's played hardball with their demands, so that's a no.

They won't get CL qualification for next year, so the budget will be cut and Jose won't be able to attract the players he wants, they'll fall out, he'll leave.

Poch wasn't the problem, Levy is...

4 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I just don't see it working.  Are Vertongen, Rose, Erikssen, and Al Wiedersehne Pet all going to get the deals they want now he's in charge?  Levy's the one who's played hardball with their demands, so that's a no.

They won't get CL qualification for next year, so the budget will be cut and Jose won't be able to attract the players he wants, they'll fall out, he'll leave.

Poch wasn't the problem, Levy is...

Spurs haven't won an away game since January. That's on the manager. 

3 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without doing any research here, my general perception of Mourinho is that he has always bought success.

Doesnt seem like a good fit for Tottenham if that is the case.

Mourinho gets slated not promoting young players and that's simply wrong. I think he does it more than any other "top" managers... And yes, he likes to spend as well. That's what you have to do when you're aiming to win the Champions League.

5 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Spurs haven't won an away game since January. That's on the manager. 

There's a funk around the team brought about by the fact that 5 of the starting 11 are at a contract impasse.  The manager wanted them to re-sign, the chairmen wouldn't sanction the deal, and priced potential suitors out of any deals over the summer.  His transfer stance also pisses a lot of other chairmen off.  

Hypothetically, if Cocu went to Mel and said I need by these 3 players, and sell these 3 players , to take us to the next level, but Mel turned round and bid 30% below market value for those he wanted to sign, and priced the three outgoing players 30% above their market value so nobody would touch them, wouldn't you think he was acting in the best interests of his manager?

Just now, ramsbottom said:

There's a funk around the team brought about by the fact that 5 of the starting 11 are at a contract impasse.  The manager wanted them to re-sign, the chairmen wouldn't sanction the deal, and priced potential suitors out of any deals over the summer.  His transfer stance also pisses a lot of other chairmen off.  

Hypothetically, if Cocu went to Mel and said I need by these 3 players, and sell these 3 players , to take us to the next level, but Mel turned round and bid 30% below market value for those he wanted to sign, and priced the three outgoing players 30% above their market value so nobody would touch them, wouldn't you think he was acting in the best interests of his manager?

I'm not claiming Levy is innocent here, but the manager's job is to get results on the pitch. You claiming it isn't Pochettino's fault isn't right. He is the person held responsible for the poor match performances. If we had a manager that hadn't won any away game for 11 months, and even then only against a side that got comfortably relegated, would you be happy? I wouldn't. 

It's also said that he was looking elsewhere at other jobs, had lost interest, and that would match up with what we saw from Spurs in 2019. 14th in the league, out of the cup, and getting beaten 7-2 is not acceptable for a club of Spurs' size. One of the jobs for the manager is to work best possible within the constraints. Poch hasn't been.

Archived