Pochettino

G STAR RAM

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

Mourinho would be a terrible appointment imo to replace Poch. Hasn’t really had any great deal of success in a few years, and more significantly will bring a totally different style of play which won’t remotely carry on Pochettinos work. 

Pochettino's work has brought in zero trophies. Mourinho is a winner. He wins trophies every where he goes. He has a much better squad to takeover than he ever had at United. I think he'll be a great appointment. The issue with Spurs has always been mentality, Jose has the winners mentality. He doesn't need to spend much money to get this Spurs side competing at the top, couple of centre halves and they're set.

I think the sacking is right. Spurs only pushed him as he was readying to jump months ago.

Five years is a long time in football and I think it’s fair to say Pochettino took Spurs as far as he could.

He is not leaving them in an impossible position, mind you. Spurs still have the FA Cup to enter, they are actually only three points from 5th, and they’re also one win from advancing to the knockout rounds of the Champions League. So the recovery could be quick.

The players just probably need a shake up - a new approach, new strategies, a new voice to listen to, and a new set of eyes to watch over them.

Would it surprise anyone to see a new manager bounce? It’s been a regular occurrence at Chelsea when they have sacked managers mid-season.

Mourinho would be smart to go to Spurs and Spurs would be smart to appoint him. Mourinho is a winner and if he can get this current Spurs squad onside and playing for him, they will be dangerous once again.

He won trophies with a declining United. This Spurs squad is far better. If the players buy into the project, he could easily succeed at Spurs.

I totally see the thinking personally. 

When have Spurs ever had a manager of the calibre and with the track record of Mourinho?

Not in my lifetime, they haven’t. It’s a coup for Spurs, let’s be honest.

Pochettino did a wonderful job and it was an excellent fit for a time as both the manager and the club grew together.  

It’s fair to have reservations about Mourinho, but every job is different. The resources he has will dictate what he does. Jose will understand that it’s horses for courses.

Others might say appoint a young trendy en vogue coach instead that can continue Pochettino’s work, but none of them will command the respect that Jose does in the game.

People forget it’s been 16 years since Mourinho won his first league title with Porto. And he has won silverware in every job since.

How many managers can sustain success, stay at the top and remain relevant for that long? His longevity has been incredible.

Do they want to be the plucky underdogs and the lovable nearly men forever?

If aspirations are bigger than that, then this is a no-brainer.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without doing any research here, my general perception of Mourinho is that he has always bought success.

Doesnt seem like a good fit for Tottenham if that is the case.

I first read that as brought success and did a real life LOL.

20 minutes ago, cosmic said:

I first read that as brought success and did a real life LOL.

To be fair hasnt he won something everywhere he has been?

For me, the fact that he spent £250m at the biggest club in England, and didnt have them challenging, tells me he may be losing his touch.

Why should  spurs expect to win trophies given Man City,s domination?

plus the small matter of liverpool, Chelsea, and the big teams in Europe. 

they came close. That’s probably as good as it gets for them. 

I guess they just got bored of Pochettino and wanted to freshen it up. 

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Without doing any research here, my general perception of Mourinho is that he has always bought success.

Doesnt seem like a good fit for Tottenham if that is the case.

The issue he is going to have this time is a disjointed dressing room. They are a mess internally, much as Man U. His success comes when he can just deal with the 90 mins on a Saturday.

5 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

The issue he is going to have this time is a disjointed dressing room. They are a mess internally, much as Man U. His success comes when he can just deal with the 90 mins on a Saturday.

That's why I dont understand the sacking.

IF, and it's a big if, the rumours doing the rounds have any truth, then the new manager has one hell of a task on his hands.

Can see Kane wanting to jump ship now too.

Pochettino led Spurs to top-four finishes in four of his five seasons - as well as their first Champions League final in the 2018/19 campaign.  All that on slightly over £20m per season net spend.  I like Jose but he'll do well to come anywhere near that.

skysports-mauricio-pochettino_4841184.png

31 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair hasnt he won something everywhere he has been?

For me, the fact that he spent £250m at the biggest club in England, and didnt have them challenging, tells me he may be losing his touch.

Yeah he's won trophies everywhere he's been. Which is why I thought it was funny when I thought you were saying him bringing success wouldn't be a good fit for Spurs...!

Archived