UEFA Youth League - U19s v Akranes

Bubbles

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, I had no idea there wouldn't be a feed for this one at all. I was at the game but busy chatting to friends and never got my phone out.

There's a match report up already on the website but just to say what a great performance from our young Rams.

With the early injury to Bird, it was good to see Aghatiste step in without any notable change of tempo. I thought Archie Brown and Tyree Wilson caused them problems all the way through from the wings, ably assisted by Festy Ebosele who was playing full back in a very advanced role. Knight was everywhere first half, completely ran the show. Jordan Brown too played very well, back in his more familiar role at full back (until the late substitutions, when he stepped into midfield.)

Talking of those later substitutions,  it is very encouraging to see some very young players step in and show good skill levels. The "paperboy", who is indeed Jack Rogers, I was informed is just 16.

Hard to choose a MOTM, both Browns, Knight, Ebosele are all contenders.

It was a nice touch to see many Derby supporters applauding the IA Akranes players at the end of the game when they came over to their families. Well done to them for keeping going right to the end of the tie. 

Bring on the next round! 

1 minute ago, oomarkwright said:

Yes a good night even if I only knew about 2 players. Encouraging and hope the club puts the next round on. Easy to get in and out and good views. Well done Derby all round and yes a good way to forget last night. 

Did you get a teamsheet? 

You'll know them better next round! 

1 hour ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

These threads are so much more uplifting than the travails of the first team.

If Mozza would do a prediction league for the u23s we could all hide out on here until the transition season is over then pop back to the main thread next July to see who Cocus bought...?

tell you what mate when i was sat at work earlier munching on me kit kat i thought to meself that we should have a prediction league for the youth - might get a couple more people involved with all the youth games etc

What a great evening. Bit weird being in an stadium with so few folk and yet watching a game. Surreal in a way. 

cracking performance by the young Rams. Took a few minutes to settle playing some long balls but even those looked good because the team is very athletic and wins chases.

There wasn’t a poor player on our team. You can see Knight has first team experience. Just that bit more strength.

Liam Thompson caught my eye. Very tidy, keeps the ball, can pass and is a hungry low centre of gravity whippet. Festy Ebosele, very quick and dangerous, Tyree Wilson, handy too. 

big cheer in front of me when Jordon Brown smacked one from the edge of the box, it was his Mum, Gran and little sister which was kind of nice. 

I had forgotten what is was like to see the ball hit the back of the net so often, first team take note 

After not playing in the last game, Whittaker is still 2nd top scorer in the competition (1 behind Spurs' Troy Parrott), and Sibley is 2nd top assister (2 behind Munich's Angelo Stiller). Our boys are at a slight disadvantage as they only had 4 games available to play in whilst the others have so far played 5 out of their 6 group games.

• The winners of the eight Domestic Champions path second-round ties will be paired with runners-up from the UEFA Champions League path group stage

• The eight teams from the Domestic Champions path will be at home in the one-off ties on 11/12 February.

Clubs from the same association cannot meet; any other restrictions will be announced before the draw. (Does this mean we can't play another english team?

• The eight play-off winners join the eight UEFA Champions League path group winners in the round of 16.

17 minutes ago, Squid said:

• The winners of the eight Domestic Champions path second-round ties will be paired with runners-up from the UEFA Champions League path group stage

• The eight teams from the Domestic Champions path will be at home in the one-off ties on 11/12 February.

Clubs from the same association cannot meet; any other restrictions will be announced before the draw. (Does this mean we can't play another english team?

• The eight play-off winners join the eight UEFA Champions League path group winners in the round of 16.

Confirmed in round of 16: Bayern München, Benfica, Juventus

Confirmed in play-offs: Atlético Madrid, Lyon, Derby County*, Dynamo Kyiv*, Midtjylland*, Porto (holders)*, Rangers*, Real Zaragoza*, Sheriff Tiraspol*

Confirmed in top two (can make last 16 or play-offs): Ajax, Atalanta, Liverpool, LOSC Lille, Real Madrid, Salzburg

Cannot finish in top two: Barcelona, Bayer Leverkusen, Chelsea, Genk, Lokomotiv Moskva, Napoli, Olympiacos, Paris Saint-Germain, RB Leipzig, Shakhtar Donetsk, Valencia, Zenit

If there's ever been a time to get off your backside and support more than the first team, this is it. 

These games are all about the vision of the club, the experience the players will get not just from the competition but from the support they get from the stands. 

And as you will have read from other supporters who dont regularly go but went last night, it's actually very entertaining, and it's FREE. 

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

Yes.

Archived