The Hundred

TuffLuff

Watched a bit of the draft last night and whilst I can’t say I know all the rules/understanding of it all, but I can’t see how it’s going to work for cricket as a whole in the long term. Perfect example is Trent Rockets essentially being able to choose all Notts player and none from Derbyshire. It’s a bit of a complicated point but surely this means young Notts players will feel the benefit whilst Derbyshire will get little from it. Also how the heck am I meant to support Trent Rockets, even if they want me too?

Itll be a great spectacle, but I’m not sure what positive impact it will have overall.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's absolutely cringeworthy. From the disgusting kits to the sponsorship to the ham fisted promotion. I utterly despise everything about it and I hope it fails. Mark my words, if this nonsense generates the kind of revenue they want they will push for these regional teams to become the norm and eliminate smaller counties like Derbyshire.

Welsh fire look like the team to beat, maybe London whatevs in with a chance, but yeah, is it trying to re-invent the game.

5 over balls, regional more than just county-based, some big counties merged together.

I assume they are doing it that way to fill the stadia.

If the ECB really want to keep the game relevant they should shun the Sky money and bring cricket back to terrestrial TV.  You can stick lots of bells and whistles on it to make it look modern but the two most spectacular sporting events of this year were the World Cup final & the climax of the Stokes Test.  Both old formats, but both riveting, and in the case of the WC final watched by billions world wide.

One thing I am happy about is Madsen getting what he deserves, a good payday for how excellent he’s been over the years Domestically. Got some recognition from Bairstow and Stokes as well, saying how they wanted him in their sides. Consistently outstanding for a consistently poor county side.

Reserving any judgement on the competition and format until the games are played. A shame names like Gayle, Malinga etc didn’t get picked up, purely for publicity reasons. Those are the names that get people interested. It may be the right decision from teams not to pick those players, but having as many big names as possible in the competition helps. People from Derbyshire were never going to support a side with Trent in the name. unfortunately in these competitions with limited numbers of teams, this was going to be the case in many scenarios. 
However, as long as it benefits the growth of Cricket as a whole in England, then it can be a good thing. Just hope that Smaller counties like ourselves don’t get left behind by a thing like this, which is a possibility.

The idea of a draft is one I like, but they should’ve done it with the T20 competition which currently has too many games, with fewer teams but larger squads and the stipulation that at least one player from each catchment county has to be in their squad.

Its a shame the Trent Rockets essentially picked a full Notts side, I live within an easy walk of their ground but I just cannot get on board with actively wanting them to win. Weirdly I support Leics at cricket, was a shame to see none of their players get drafted as in amongst the crap there is some real talent.

So I stumbled across the official team descriptions for "the hundred". They are amazingly bad.

"Follow Southern Brave, and go boldly where others shy away. Endlessly curious, with an insatiable appetite for adventure, what’s over the horizon?"

"Join Trent Rockets for the biggest party in the country. Everyone’s invited - so long as you don’t mind having the most fun. Volume up, ready for launch."

"Belong to something bigger, with Oval Invincibles. Vibrant, expressive, and free to play their own way, this team leaves a lasting impression long after the last ball."

6 minutes ago, Anon said:

So I stumbled across the official team descriptions for "the hundred". They are amazingly bad.

"Follow Southern Brave, and go boldly where others shy away. Endlessly curious, with an insatiable appetite for adventure, what’s over the horizon?"

"Join Trent Rockets for the biggest party in the country. Everyone’s invited - so long as you don’t mind having the most fun. Volume up, ready for launch."

"Belong to something bigger, with Oval Invincibles. Vibrant, expressive, and free to play their own way, this team leaves a lasting impression long after the last ball."

Embarrassing. And I thought the team names were bad.

The hundred only exists because the ECB didn't think they made enough out of the t20 boom, so they wanted to create something that was similar, but different, so they could own the format and bring in the sweet sweet $$$$

Its not innovative, it's just designed to be  not t20 but kind of the same"

There's all sorts of innovations that could be tried, split innings in limited overs, variations on "quick cricket" I remember from school days, all sorts could be looked at.

bug this is more to do with brand, t20 and getting sponsorship. The only interest in it is its newness, not its actual substance. I predict it'll last less than five years, won't reach the non converted and we'll have similar franchises playing a t20 format and not the hundred on short order.

On 21/10/2019 at 13:17, Anon said:

It's absolutely cringeworthy. From the disgusting kits to the sponsorship to the ham fisted promotion. I utterly despise everything about it and I hope it fails. Mark my words, if this nonsense generates the kind of revenue they want they will push for these regional teams to become the norm and eliminate smaller counties like Derbyshire.

This

They have wanted a 2 tier system of regional cricket for years and thought they had achieved it with the 2 division format only for the 'big' teams to get relegated. 

As other players have said, the worry is that this will sound the death knell for counties such as ours. Derbyshire votes for it though so what do I know.

if anyone thinks I will be supporting Trent Rocjets, well they can have one up their arse. I will support Wayne Madsen, if I have to feign any interest at all. 

I still miss the Sunday league! What was wrong with that? 

14 hours ago, Steve Buckley’s Dog said:

As other players have said, the worry is that this will sound the death knell for counties such as ours. Derbyshire votes for it though so what do I know.

if anyone thinks I will be supporting Trent Rocjets, well they can have one up their arse. I will support Wayne Madsen, if I have to feign any interest at all. 

I still miss the Sunday league! What was wrong with that? 

It's not just counties like Derbyshire. My own county, Warwickshire, has been calling itself Birmingham for quite a while now in T20. That connection between the HQ and the rest of the county is being broken.

Archived