Des Anderson - RIP and thank you

IslandExile

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From memory Dave was very much the front of house guy as manager and Des behind the scenes with the players - not Taylor with Clough but just as important to the partnership. From the outside they all appeared to like and respect him. I think he and Franny Lee got on well but I may be remembering that wrong.

Either way he was a vital part of the team that won the league and a very important part of our history. He followed Dave to Walsall after we sacked them but I think the partnership broke up when Dave became an early pioneer of transfers to the middle east. Perhaps that was the time when he went into pubs.

I think his nickname for Dave was 'The Laird' @oldtime ?

6 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

From memory Dave was very much the front of house guy as manager and Des behind the scenes with the players - not Taylor with Clough but just as important to the partnership. From the outside they all appeared to like and respect him. I think he and Franny Lee got on well but I may be remembering that wrong.

Either way he was a vital part of the team that won the league and a very important part of our history. He followed Dave to Walsall after we sacked them but I think the partnership broke up when Dave became an early pioneer of transfers to the middle east. Perhaps that was the time when he went into pubs.

I think his nickname for Dave was 'The Laird' @oldtime ?

Exactly, he referred to Dave as The Laird

I confess I never really accepted Mackay as manager; noone could ever replace Cloughie (still can't).

But, boy oh boy, was sacking him a huge mistake. It was downhill from them on.

Clough himself said that Mackay never got the credit he deserved for the title win or for the players he brought in (Thomas, Rioch and Lee for the championship season, later George of course).

To my shame, I knew/know next to nothing on the man, bar his name, and his involvement in our second title win, but seeing that trophy at the end of my very first Rams game cemented me to The Rams for eternity, so in part at least, I owe him massive gratitude and respect for that.

RIP, sir.

6 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Drank in the Dog many times but didn't know Des used to run it.

8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Great guy. Ran TheDog Inn in Burton-on-Trent & pulled a pint like Charlie George taking a penalty. Bush-bash-bosh that’s 55p please. Wallop! RIP Des. 

Top bloke Des, used to tell a few tales by way of entertainment but never anything too scandalous.

5 minutes ago, mozza said:

Closest i ever came to becoming a professional footballer was when i met Dave Mackay in The Dog, he told me he was looking for a new centre half for his team in Kuwait and that i looked the part. If only, eh?..

Ah, the good old days of doing the scouting in the pubs.  Beats a cold frosty Sunday morning on the park!  ?

15 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Ah, the good old days of doing the scouting in the pubs.  Beats a cold frosty Sunday morning on the park!  ?

Chances of getting me up on a sunday morning, let alone on a football pitch after a night out in the Dog were pretty slim, to say the least.

13 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Maybe not Joiners Arms though, if looking for decent talent...

Seriously though, from what I have heard Des Anderson was a good guy and part of DCFC's history. Sad news. 

Archived