Reassessing our Expectations

Nuwtfly

Would it be over-the-top to suggest that the focus this season many now be on staying in this league, as opposed to getting out of it?

Think we can all largely agree that promotion is really unlikely now, especially after the antics of the last two days.

But the impact this could have on the squad, morale, the fanbase, the owner, the manager - we need to be seriously careful here. This has the potential to have ramifications on a much more serious scale. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me optimistic but even without Keogh and potentially Lawrence/Bennett I don't see us as relegation candidates, even after the woeful start.

Of course if the woeful start turns into a woeful half-season, clearly I was wrong. But we'd still have January to help address things.

I do think the top 6 is now thoroughly off the table however. 10th would be an achievement, imo. Unless January was astounding of course.

I never expected anything but mid-table this season so not really changed my expectations. One thing us fans have to do is we can't carry the anger that we have from the crash over to the rest of the team who behaved correctly and in the right way.

Support has to be provided to the players in the team as relegation could spring up on us. Looks like we'll definitely be in for a centre back in January though, no long term replacement for Keogh, Davies doesn't look fancied and Bielik would be wasted in that position. Wouldn't dare have two loans at the back so would have to be a permanent.

Bennett never really played for us this season so far, so isn't a massive loss. Lawrence has zero goals and zero assists since the first day of the season, so not sure he will be a massive loss either.

Keoghs injury will probably have some impact, but its not like we don't have players to fill in. Davies is definitely a better captain and defender - its just whether he suits Cocus style. If not him then there are others that can fill in. Hell it might even mean we stop playing two defensive mids every single game if Bielik drops back. Don't think we will be anywhere near relegation, but we won't be anywhere near promotion either - basically the same as before this incident.

17 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Would it be over-the-top to suggest that the focus this season many now be on staying in this league, as opposed to getting out of it?

Think we can all largely agree that promotion is really unlikely now, especially after the antics of the last two days.

But the impact this could have on the squad, morale, the fanbase, the owner, the manager - we need to be seriously careful here. This has the potential to have ramifications on a much more serious scale. 

Worrying times i have to say and this is going to be a testing season for sure

We should have enough to keep clear of relegation although the likes of Ipswich,Sunderland and the Red Dogs said the same

4 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Don't think we will be anywhere near relegation, but we won't be anywhere near promotion either

I think this just sums it up. We're looking very ordinary at the minute. But we must try to stay united and not put a downer on the rest of the season, plenty of time left. 

Although I don't think we'll get relegated, our prospects for the season could depend on how we react to this incident. If the players rally around it and all the negative publicity, we could still do well providing our side is not divided by this.

On paper, we still have a good side, my only concern would be the depth we have beyond that. Unless Cocu or the club come out and name everyone involved, I doubt we'll ever know for sure. I'd assume whoever makes the squad on Saturday was one of the sensible ones and not taking part in the selfish drink-driving antics. I don't care if players like Waghorn went out for drinks in Nottingham and his wife had to pick him up off the floor. Slightly unprofessional? Probably. If they got a taxi back the next day and he had a sore head the next morning then I don't really give a hoot.

A starting XI of Roos; Bogle Bielik Clarke Lowe; Huddlestone Shinnie Dowell; Waghorn Marriott Josefzoon is still more than good enough to finish way above the relegation spots. That would be a "Best XI" at a guess. The season rests on how we react to this.

Let's have some perspective 

Bennett isn't good enough & is a sub. Lawrence blows hot and cold and some want him dropped. Not a big deal. Its an opportunity for someone to step up. Worse case they're not injured so technically still available (although i wouldnt play them again) 

Keogh is a good player in my opinion but some say 'always got a mistake in him' again an opportunity to step up

Beilik & huddlestone dont look like they can play together in midfield. It'll potentially force Cocu's hand to play one in midfield & one at the back

In a weird sort of way this might galvanise the rest of the team & get out any players seen as unprofessional.

Its a chance for a couple of youngsters. The expection over this season will have been lowered and may just buy Cocu more time to implement his style of football with lower expectations. 

This situation looks bad for us at the moment. In the long term it might be a blessing 

Apart from Keogh who will be missed. We might find this a blessing. Lawrence has had one good game but still makes the first team. Hopefully part of his rehabilitation will be a spell in the under 23s which might focus his mind. In the meantime someone will get a run in the first team who hasnt had the time to shine.

Either way we haven't actually lost Lawrence or Bennett.  

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

Although I don't think we'll get relegated, our prospects for the season could depend on how we react to this incident.

I think you are right about that. My concern is that our current squad aren't the sort who will rally round and show a bit of grit for the honour of the club and the supporters. Hope I am wrong.

1 hour ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I thought a cheeky late bid for 6th prior to this debacle. Contrary to some on here, we'll miss all 3. Keogh is very good at this level, Lawrence can win us 15/20 points & Bennett is a very useful squad/utility player.

We'll be bang average without them, 12th.

???????????????how long is his contract?

Archived