Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

Two 'youngsters' doing what young people do have cost a respected 'oldie' his career.

So far it seems Keogh was in the back seat and was the only one badly injured. 

The 'youngsters' are those who will be unaffected by any monetary punishment and 'community service' may consist of giving talks, guest appearances, celebrity signings etc.

From my experience of 50 years ago, footballers were rôle models (before the term was invented) and players like Hector, Todd, MacFarland, Hinton, Gemmill, ad infinitum, were heroes.

We knew that they had 'feet of clay' but would not have expected them to drive home having refused a taxi service by the club.

I went to their celebrations at a Derby nightclub in 1973. They probably fell under the affluence of incahol then (being young, gifted and human!) but they got home OK. (Yes, there were breathalysers and traffic Cops in the dark ages of my 22nd year too!)

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No idea about what should happen to them long term.

In any normal job if the two are found guilty of drink driving, i suspect that they would be asked to pursue their careers elsewhere.

Unfortunately they are "assets" of the club so who knows ?

The 2 "Senior Pros", ha what a phrase that is.

To be called a Senior Pro, you should act like it and show some sort of leadership qualities. I would argue that for different reason neither of them have done so.

Completely brainless all four of them. For different reasons and to differing levels stupidity.

For my two pence worth.

I don't think any of the four should be in the squad for Saturday.

But they should be made to attend the game.

Brought out at half time and made to sit on a naughty step for the whole of half time.

And everyone in the crowd not make a sound and just turn their backs on them.

Treat them with the contempt that they have shown.

And then after that we should all support the manager, the club and the players that do turn as much as we can.

This is a dark week to be a Rams supporter, but its those four idiots that have let the fans and the club down in one way or another that should feel ashamed.  Not the fans for supporting Derby.

41 minutes ago, BrentW said:

Just watched Lampard in the Chelsea/Brighton presser. Obviously the press asked him about this incident and he was skilful in replying "Nothing to do with me and it would be wrong of me to comment"

By the way, this incident is more severe than the one which occurred in Blackpool in the late 1960's when some of the Chelsea team went out on the p.ss against Docherty's instructions. He sold most of the team in response.

That was in the days when top players didn't cost £100 million each.

10 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

Two 'youngsters' doing what young people do have cost a respected 'oldie' his career.

The 'youngsters' are those who will be unaffected by any monetary punishment and 'community service' may consist of giving talks, guest appearances, celebrity signings etc.

From my experience of 50 years ago, footballers were rôle models (before the term was invented) and players like Hector, Todd, MacFarland, Hinton, Gemmill, ad infinitum, were heroes.

We knew that they had 'feet of clay' but would not have expected them to drive home having refused a taxi service by the club.

I went to their celebrations at a Derby nightclub in 1973. They probably fell under the affluence of incahol then (being young, gifted and human!) but they got home OK. (Yes, there were breathalysers and traffic Cops in the dark ages of my 22nd year too!)

And I have seen some of those same players drinking in my local and getting into their posh(ish) cars back then on more than one occasion. It was something that people just did and it was considered unlucky if you were caught at it. Sorry, it wasn't right, hence the law changes and much more rigorous policing of this, but it's true.

59 minutes ago, MK-Ram said:

If that article is correct and Keogh was found unconscious in wreck of Lawrence's car by the emergency services, what does that imply about the drivers' actions? 

Now it's very low on detail so my preliminary conclusion may well be incorrect. Quite separate from the drink driving issue, anyone can be involved in an RTA, but there are certain legal requirements you have to fulfil when you are. This article suggests that the drivers might not have acted with absolute probity after the incident. That's without any consideration of the merits of leaving your unconscious skipper alone.

34 minutes ago, Rambam2014 said:

No idea about what should happen to them long term.

In any normal job if the two are found guilty of drink driving, i suspect that they would be asked to pursue their careers elsewhere.

Unfortunately they are "assets" of the club so who knows ?

The 2 "Senior Pros", ha what a phrase that is.

To be called a Senior Pro, you should act like it and show some sort of leadership qualities. I would argue that for different reason neither of them have done so.

Completely brainless all four of them. For different reasons and to differing levels stupidity.

For my two pence worth.

I don't think any of the four should be in the squad for Saturday.

But they should be made to attend the game.

Brought out at half time and made to sit on a naughty step for the whole of half time.

And then after that we should all support the manager, the club and the players that do turn as much as we can.

This is a dark week to be a Rams supporter, but its those four idiots that have let the fans and the club down in one way or another that should feel ashamed.  Not the fans for supporting Derby.

It will be pitch black if the red dogs go top tonight and we lose tomorrow.

34 minutes ago, Brummie Steve said:

I wouldn't want any of them near my children so i think community work might just fall flat on its face. 

I think Bennett will now become a bin man, Lawrence a driving instructor and Keogh a presenter on deaf FM. 

38 minutes ago, Rambam2014 said:

What a very strange suggestion which you know won't happen in a million years.

4 minutes ago, desirelines said:

Looks like Malone was steaming too by the looks of that new leaked video. Always thought his attitude stunk. 

Why does his attitude stink by getting drunk?  

3 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/10017522/Derby-county-crash-shock-new-footage-players-slumped-chair-drink-drive-smash-arrest/

Dowell, Malone, Martin and Bradley Johnson also confirmed now.

Can’t figure out who’s the one saying ‘Liberties bruv’.

Doesn't mean they stayed late though. Who really knows? Love the caption of 'Richard Keogh' on a picture of Tom Huddlestone.

Archived