Lawrence and Bennett Convicted of drink driving

alexxxxx
Message added by Day

May I remind members of the forum terms of use and prohibited content - Personal insults/profanity towards other members, players, staff, media or anyone connected to Derby County Football Club.

Also please do not use this forum to create or further spread unverified rumours from social media on the incident.

54 minutes ago, goldstar said:

He could have killed someone! Just luck that he didnt

Stop white knighting. He is 23 not a kid. He also has a daughter. Again, would you be so vehement in defending Patrick from Chellaston? Or Mark from Chad?

At 23 and with all the resources and money available to him then yes this bad decision does define him.

It’ll define him in the short term no doubt, and he’ll be duly punished and take full responsibility of his actions.

What will impress me when all punishment is spent, and what’s done is done..... is that he comes out of this a changed person willing to make amends for what has happened.

I think writing him off is hasty, if it defines him for the better, a lightbulb moment shall we say..... I’ll applaud the way he comes out of it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

Whilst I'd agree that my staying silent throughout the game, without bearing a Ram Logo on my chest will not help the club per sé, I seriously doubt it will cause them "further damage" in any way.  In fact I'd go as far as to say they won't even notice!

I have purchased my season ticket, and neither want, nor feel the need, to stay away. 
Currently, I neither want, or feel the need, to physically or verbally show any disdain, dissatisfaction, or frustration... be that towards individuals or the club as a whole.
I have stated I want to give the club the time and the opportunity to deal with it.  Until such time, they will not get a negative response from me... and quite possibly not a positive one either.  I really want to see how they respond before I can comment on the club as a whole... whilst letting Mel know he's a mighty task ahead of him!

I would therefore conclude that we are in total agreement, you and I, with regards to your comment about "Rushing to judgement of the club until I hear the full facts".

I have stated I am envious of @David for his earlier stance of pride and support.  I'll now add you to that list.
I have stated that this is the first time I have felt this low about my club in the 44 years I have been supporting them.  That can neither be defended, nor explained!
I have stated that I may offer a light applause should we score... and again should we win.  To my shame, I forgot to mention I will also still be in my seat at the final whistle, as always.
I dare to state that may be more than some offer, even under "normal" circumstances.

I have not blamed the club, or the hierarchy within.
I have not stated I "want to change clubs" (unlike some), or stop supporting The Rams.

Whilst your own comments are noble and admirable, I do feel it a little unfair that you made them in direct response to my own post, as if pointing out some sort of  "lacking" on my part, with regards to supporting DCFC.  In order to prove my worthiness of being a supporter, must I emblazon my chest with a Ram Logo?  Must I "wear the colours"?  Must I actively and vocally convey my support throughout the game?  If so, then I have been an excellent supporter over the past 44 years... one of the best, I'd argue... but tomorrow, for the first time, I may prove to be unworthy.  
I'll come back and apologise, if that proves to be the case.

On the contrary, my mucker, I was agreeing with you and taking the opportunity to extend your line of thinking on to the people earlier in the thread who are saying they are coming along to express their displeasure on Saturday. Not helpful at all, imo.

Sorry if my response looked like it was aimed at you. I do have a tendency to summarise my thoughts on several posts at once. Would probably have been better not quoting anybody!

49 minutes ago, Justa said:

Err yes it does !

He can of course try and make things better with future actions and conduct but at the moment yes it does.

So you make someone captain because their a bad example of a professional, with the view he might change ... hmm . How about rewarding someone with the arm band that is a model professional? A role model instead. Just a thought 

2 minutes ago, angieram said:

On the contrary, my mucker, I was agreeing with you and taking the opportunity to extend your line of thinking on to the people earlier in the thread who are saying they are coming along to express their displeasure on Saturday. Not helpful at all, imo.

Sorry if my response looked like it was aimed at you. I do have a tendency to summarise my thoughts on several posts at once. Would probably have been better not quoting anybody!

Then a clear and total misunderstanding on my part.  Apologies and thanks in equal measure.  

1 hour ago, goldstar said:

He could have killed someone! Just luck that he didnt

Stop white knighting. He is 23 not a kid. He also has a daughter. Again, would you be so vehement in defending Patrick from Chellaston? Or Mark from Chad?

At 23 and with all the resources and money available to him then yes this bad decision does define him.

Just to confirm... Mark from Chad was at mine that evening.  We shared no more than half a bottle of Vimtó Nouvelle, watched the whole re-run of the final series of Downtown, in readiness for tonight's trip to the Pictures... and yes, his car was parked on my drive all night, as he stayed the night.

Retract your accusations... Now!

10 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

It’ll define him in the short term no doubt, and he’ll be duly punished and take full responsibility of his actions.

What will impress me when all punishment is spent, and what’s done is done..... is that he comes out of this a changed person willing to make amends for what has happened.

I think writing him off is hasty, if it defines him for the better, a lightbulb moment shall we say..... I’ll applaud the way he comes out of it.

Captain of Subbury open ? 

First and foremost to any fan thinking of finding another club,,,,,why??    I been a Derby fan for over 50 and no way am I going to let some idiot players rob me of my club ,,players , managers ,owners come and go ,some good some bad ,no matter they are temporary,

secondly forgiveness first stone stuff ? I’ve made lots of mistakes and have paid the price ,forgiveness and trust has to be hard won over a period of time by personal attitude and behaviour change.

for me those involved should be out the door now sod all this instant rehabilitation rubbish 

I am glad to see some responses from fans indicating that they are making plans to attend tomorrows game on the back of this to support the manager and the club, and the players who have acted responsibly. That's really what we need to do, give them our support more than ever.

To those saying they want to stay away from the club I don't know what to tell you. Go away and support someone else I suppose

2 minutes ago, Archied said:

I’ve made lots of mistakes and have paid the price ,forgiveness and trust has to be hard won over a period of time by personal attitude and behaviour change.

for me those involved should be out the door now sod all this instant rehabilitation rubbish 

Is that not a contradiction? 

4 minutes ago, Popular side said:

Captain of Subbury open ? 

Seen many people come out of prison changed for the better, not saying he will end up inside..... far from it.

As long as he makes amends in his life to the folk he has upset with his actions of Tuesday night..... and I’m talking the ones close to him, I’m sure he’ll be remorseful, and maybe he will reconsider how he views life.

I hope all involved will be changed for the better because of this, as I say..... it’s braver to change for the better, be remorseful and try and make amends..... it may devine them short term, but what matters much more, is how they react as people 

2 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I am glad to see some responses from fans indicating that they are making plans to attend tomorrows game on the back of this to support the manager and the club, and the players who have acted responsibly. That's really what we need to do, give them our support more than ever.

To those saying they want to stay away from the club I don't know what to tell you. Go away and support someone else I suppose

Look who they’ve made captain . What are you applauding when he runs out ? His videoing skills ? 

8 minutes ago, Archied said:

First and foremost to any fan thinking of finding another club,,,,,why??    I been a Derby fan for over 50 and no way am I going to let some idiot players rob me of my club ,,players , managers ,owners come and go ,some good some bad ,no matter they are temporary,

secondly forgiveness first stone stuff ? I’ve made lots of mistakes and have paid the price ,forgiveness and trust has to be hard won over a period of time by personal attitude and behaviour change.

Has anyone said they’ve thinking of finding another club? I’ve said I’m ashamed to be a Derby fan, and that I don’t know if I can support these players. Doesn’t mean I want to switch clubs. This is still my club, and always will be. These just aren’t my players. And if it means waiting until they’re gone before watching us again, so be it. I’ll probably feel differently soon, but right now this whole incident makes me sick.

FWIW if those involved don’t feature tomorrow, I’ll be behind the rest of the squad 100%

To everyone saying that we should get rid instantly, listen to what @Mafiabob is saying.

I hope he doesn’t mind me using him as an example (it’s all out there), but he is someone who made mistakes, knew exactly what he had done and worked hard to grow as a person. Now he’s doing fantastic work to help others.

By all means, fine them, suspend them and shame them. But don’t sack them. That would suggest that there is no chance of repentance. 

6 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Seen many people come out of prison changed for the better, not saying he will end up inside..... far from it.

As long as he makes amends in his life to the folk he has upset with his actions of Tuesday night..... and I’m talking the ones close to him, I’m sure he’ll be remorseful, and maybe he will reconsider how he views life.

I hope all involved will be changed for the better because of this, as I say..... it’s braver to change for the better, be remorseful and try and make amends..... it may devine them short term, but what matters much more, is how they react as people 

Well let’s hope your right 

1 hour ago, Smyth_18 said:

He was one of the group at the time though, didn't know he was about to be given the captains role. He will now be under strict instruction to lead this team both on and off the pitch. It's how he treats his role from this day forward that matters.

What about the players that are real role models.. wonder how they feel about the decision ?  I suppose they don’t have the qualities the manager is looking for. 

6 minutes ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

But don’t sack them.

I think they're safe from the sack. It would be a bit weird to sack them for drink driving and then welcome convicted drink driver Wayne Rooney to the club in January.

Hopefully they'll be fined, frozen out for a bit while they display some genuine remorse and do some awareness stuff then get them back in the squad. 

25 minutes ago, Archied said:

I'm not in the boot them out the door side of this, but totally agree with your first 2 points.

They've got a hard road ahead to get back in my or most other people's good books, but I'm OK with giving them a chance to. Obviously, I hope the club are going to severely discipline them and that's based on it being an isolated incident. If the club give a slap on the wrist and try to forget it all ASAP I'll be disappointed.

I for one hope that they feature tomorrow, let them be held accountable for their actions in front of 25000 fans. They should also start to repay Cocu at the first available opportunity, tell them that earning the managers and fans respect starts now, he shouldn’t be punished by limiting his selection pool. 

Archived