Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Squid said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50713616

In relation to the comments above.

SUV's are just as cheap/if not cheaper than electric cars.

Once we start to see Electric SUV'S hopefully that will change.

In fairness, not that I know for sure, but having witnessed SUV's both on the road and in car parks I think there is a new rule which gives SUV drivers the right of way on any road, and also they are allowed 2 parking spaces, so there has to be some benefit in owning one,

4 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Time person of the year, youngest ever!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-50740324

I guess if she gets a bad school report due to poor attendance she 's got a better excuse than most of us have ever had!

Whatever people think of her, her cause or the people potentially telling her what to do, she's a bloody impressive girl.

38 minutes ago, SchtivePesley said:

I had seen that the story may not be what it was. She cant really complain about the Media being interested in her travels if she is choosing to make those posts as they were clearly posted with an agenda. Probably should have left it alone, all of us have stood/not had a seat on trains before, we dont post about it.

The rail company have a point as it could easily be interpreted she had to travel all the way home with no seat. 

She may need to learn she should tell the whole story, not just the part that suits.

29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I had seen that the story may not be what it was. She cant really complain about the Media being interested in her travels if she is choosing to make those posts as they were clearly posted with an agenda. Probably should have left it alone, all of us have stood/not had a seat on trains before, we dont post about it.

The rail company have a point as it could easily be interpreted she had to travel all the way home with no seat. 

She may need to learn she should tell the whole story, not just the part that suits.

I think we're also in danger of missing her point.

When C*rbyn was photographed sitting on the floor of a train - the angle was - UK trains are crap and don't put on enough carriages for demand

Thunberg's post was actually celebrating the fact that German trains are full - because it's a good, cheap and quick service - and people use it over and above cars for long journeys

1 hour ago, SchtivePesley said:

I think we're also in danger of missing her point.

When C*rbyn was photographed sitting on the floor of a train - the angle was - UK trains are crap and don't put on enough carriages for demand

Thunberg's post was actually celebrating the fact that German trains are full - because it's a good, cheap and quick service - and people use it over and above cars for long journeys

I guess its easy to misunderstand. Although i admit i have only read the headline. Clearly the rail company misunderstood too.

I must admit though using the word overcrowded doesn't really suggest a celebration.

2 minutes ago, Highgate said:

There are so many people so eager to criticize Greta or laugh at her they think she has made a mistake. 

Because if she's not perfect, climate change isn't real.  I think that's how it works.

Thats not my belief,  however i do think if you court media attention you cant complain when you get it. 

I think what she is doing us great. But pick the right battles not the ones that will take away from the real messages you want to give. 

Just now, Paul71 said:

Thats not my belief,  however i do think if you court media attention you cant complain when you get it. 

I think what she is doing us great. But pick the right battles not the ones that will take away from the real messages you want to give.

Just making a general point about what Greta seems to be up against in the media and in social media.  Wouldn't be easy for anyone, let alone someone so young.  Some people really seem to dislike her.

But yeah, the more she doesn't get distracted from her core message the better. 

20 hours ago, Paul71 said:

100% .. she says its great trains are full, she could of easily put that in the original tweet that she's happy with that!

20 hours ago, Highgate said:

Just making a general point about what Greta seems to be up against in the media and in social media.  Wouldn't be easy for anyone, let alone someone so young.  Some people really seem to dislike her.

But yeah, the more she doesn't get distracted from her core message the better. 

Do you really believe she writes those tweets herself?

27 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Do you really believe she writes those tweets herself?

Couldn't care less about the tweets really.  Haven't read any of them, except the one displayed on this page.

All that matters is getting people to finally realize the inevitable and deadly global consequences of continually adding GHGs to the atmosphere.  Anyone doing that on a large scale is one of the good guys. 

On 11/12/2019 at 15:58, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

She's amazing, a shining example of a wonderful generation showing old g!ts like me (and the rest) what can be done and needs to be done!

I don't follow current events closely anymore ... I hadn't even seen her until this week. 

I found her incredibly annoying and pretty bizaare. 

Sorry, I know that is very un-PC and no doubt says a lot about me...but I couldn't watch more than a minute before she registerd a 10 on the 'grating as hell' scale and turned her off. 

Archived