Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

1 hour ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Doctor: I’m sorry but your irresponsible lifestyle has led to you now having cancer. We need to operate immediately to remove the tumor.

Grumpy Old Git: Nah. Don’t like the way you just spoke to me so stuff your surgery. If you want to operate you need to ask nicely. 

Doctor: Err, if we don’t operate, the cancer will spread and you will die. 

Grumpy Old Git: I heard you the first time. Don’t you know that trying to force your beliefs on someone merely makes them more resistant to the message? Nobody likes being preached to. 

Doctor: I’m not preaching I’m trying to save your life.

Grumpy Old Git: Stop exaggerating. Is their any scientific proof that cancer kills people? I  bet I could find Loads of experts who say it doesn’t. Project fear in my book. There’s obviously an agenda behind your diagnosis. Plus, your bedside manner is awful. 

Sound familiar? 

Depends... Are you comparing to  scientists in general.. or Greta? 

If Greta? Change 'Doctor' to Receptionist... And her saying 'Don't you know how busy the Doctor is, how dare you bother him... You have cancer, its really obvious and it's annoying me you have wasted everyone's time coming..' .. 

Now it feels familiar.  

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Depends... Are you comparing to  scientists in general.. or Greta? 

If Greta? Change 'Doctor' to Receptionist... And her saying 'Don't you know how busy the Doctor is, how dare you bother him... You have cancer, its really obvious and it's annoying me you have wasted everyone's time coming..' .. 

Now it feels familiar.  

Not sure I grasp your analogy really but in answer to your question, either / or. Both are conveying the same message albeit in different ways.

Lets put it a different way; high time some folk stopped shooting the messenger and addressed the message, not that it’ll happen of course. 

5 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Not sure I grasp your analogy really but in answer to your question, either / or. Both are conveying the same message albeit in different ways.

Lets put it a different way; high time some folk stopped shooting the messenger and addressed the message, not that it’ll happen of course. 

If people aren’t acting on the message, then that suggests the message needs to be conveyed in a better way.

32 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Just querying the logic of your analogy really...and trying to present that with a similar analogy.. Tricky! 

Meaning..if it's a really serious issue and we need to accept it then I don't think a child ranting in a rather strange, kinda pompous manner is the way to go. It just turned me off and also gave me the excuse to think well she is clearly not old or educated enough to really know the truth, let's turn off. Her delivery, style, attitude etc just irked me so intensely that the message was lost. But obviously she is famous though, so presumably it is working for some. 

Just now, Chester40 said:

Just querying the logic of your analogy really...and trying to present that with a similar analogy.. Tricky! 

Meaning..if it's a really serious issue and we need to accept it then I don't think a child ranting in a rather strange, kinda pompous manner is the way to go. It just turned me off and also gave me the excuse to think well she is clearly not old or educated enough to really know the truth, let's turn off. Her delivery, style, attitude etc just irked me so intensely that the message was lost. But obviously she is famous though, so presumably it is working for some. 

And therein lies the problem. Let’s ignore the legions of scientists because we don’t like being told what to do by a single stroppy teenage girl. How on God’s green earth does that make any sense? 

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

And therein lies the problem. Let’s ignore the legions of scientists because we don’t like being told what to do by a single stroppy teenage girl. How on God’s green earth does that make any sense? 

Err not ignoring scientists. Just slightly doubtful, and not especially wanting to believe.Then she gives me a good excuse to not listen at all. 

Who said anything about sense? 

2 minutes ago, Chester40 said:

Err not ignoring scientists. Just slightly doubtful, and not especially wanting to believe.Then she gives me a good excuse to not listen at all. 

Who said anything about sense? 

Ok mate. Best leave it there. You’ve always seemed a sound enough fella to me so I’ll not labour the point made. 

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

tumbleweed GIF

I've not seen anybody do that on a message board before  

Not since lunchtime anyway  

To paraphrase Sir Edmund, I'd like to thank the Lord I wore my corset today for otherwise my sides would have split from laughter.  

I kneel in supplication at the feet of the worlds finest wit. 

Please feel from to do it again tomorrow and then the day after that. And the one after that. And then again and again. 

Eventually you'll get to Peter throwing the dead frog at a wall stage......probably.   

1 hour ago, Bob The Badger said:

I've not seen anybody do that on a message board before  

Not since lunchtime anyway  

To paraphrase Sir Edmund, I'd like to thank the Lord I wore my corset today for otherwise my sides would have split from laughter.  

I kneel in supplication at the feet of the worlds finest wit. 

Please feel from to do it again tomorrow and then the day after that. And the one after that. And then again and again. 

Eventually you'll get to Peter throwing the dead frog at a wall stage......probably.   

Wow! I suppose when one finds cracking jokes about other people’s wives having the clap funny, memes must indeed be truly hilarious. Time to up your game old boy. 

For those who find her irritating/annoying/pointless/inset your opinion here  what I would say is

a) She's 16, how many of us could describe themselves as cool calm and collected at that age ? Never mind the circus she finds herself in.

b) She's on the autistic spectrum (asperger i think)

c) She has to conduct all her media engagement in a foreign language. Her command of English for a 16 year old is very good but I am sure she would be a lot more confortable doing it in her first language.

d) Being a child and not British the way she expresses her points will always appear very direct to a British audience. 

Compare her views to an older, wiser, more subtle and rounded (British) person who could read the shipping forecast and grab your attention, Sir David Attenborough for instance, is there a fundamental difference between their message ?

18 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

Compare her views to an older, wiser, more subtle and rounded (British) person who could read the shipping forecast and grab your attention, Sir David Attenborough for instance, is there a fundamental difference between their message ?

Isn't that the point being made. One knows how to deliver a message and very few will ignore it. The other tries to ram that message into the audience, instantly making a large proportion turn away.

5 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Wow! I suppose when one finds cracking jokes about other people’s wives having the clap funny, memes must indeed be truly hilarious. Time to up your game old boy. 

Made me chuckle.. I think I am in the midst of an existential crisis. 

In the office the other day I sat at my mate's desk covered in cough sweets, paracetamol and a pot of hand cream... I said 'What's up with Matt?'

A 50-something woman joked 'Nothing, he's just a big puff'.. 

And for a few seconds I nearly found myself as the moral crusader (/annoying busybody) who almost said 'firstly, he's very happily married, and he has lovely soft hands is that so wrong? But regardless that is a very inappropriate comment to make, please cease or I shall have to report you'.

Then I helped myself to a sweet (man flu) and forgot. 

Was an uncomfortable few seconds I must say though.  

50 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Isn't that the point being made. One knows how to deliver a message and very few will ignore it. The other tries to ram that message into the audience, instantly making a large proportion turn away.

Fair point but it completely bypasses the points made in  a) b) c) d).  The one who knows how to deliver is a legend of the small screen for its presence and delivery is also old enough to be her great grand dad, so far more experienced. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

People find many different ways to discredit or  ignore the dangers of global warming. I suppose this is just a good a way as any other.

32 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

People find many different ways to discredit or  ignore the dangers of global warming. I suppose this is just a good a way as any other.

I thought the number of people irritated by her far outweighs the number of people discrediting what she says... They probably can't stand listening to her for long enough to know what her exact message is.

The fact that this thread won't go away suggests that her problematizing of the issue makes it difficult for it to be got rid of.

Makes it difficult to ignore in other words.

Given the situation in Australia that's probably a good thing.

Archived