Greta Thunberg & Extinction Rebellion

Rev

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I don't follow current events closely anymore ... I hadn't even seen her until this week. 

I found her incredibly annoying and pretty bizaare

Sorry, I know that is very un-PC and no doubt says a lot about me...but I couldn't watch more than a minute before she registerd a 10 on the 'grating as hell' scale and turned her off. 

That is probably how she would describe herself. She's out there annoying people about her rightful cause, let's face it is pretty bizzare/unique  for a 16 yearl old to achieve that at the level she's doing it. It all started from sitting on her own outside Swedish parliament. Some of us just wanted to bunk off school at that age... The other one that springs to mind is Malala Yousafzai.

2 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

That is probably how she would describe herself. She's out there annoying people about her rightful cause, let's face it is pretty bizzare/unique  for a 16 yearl old to achieve that at the level she's doing it. It all started from sitting on her own outside Swedish parliament. Some of us just wanted to bunk off school at that age... The other one that springs to mind is Malala Yousafzai.

If you want someone to change their behavior, it's normally advised that you don't annoy them

3 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What she bunks off school as well?

57 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

If you want someone to change their behavior, it's normally advised that you don't annoy them

may be...may be not... I am sure some (lots) will find Trump uber annoying but to be fair to the buffoon he has changed the behavior of some pretty reluctant folks, NATO contributions, media, China etc... In fact you could probably say that is his prefered option.

IMHO, most of the people who criticize her (like Trump) are really just afraid and uncomfortable.

Not afraid in the traditional sense, but afraid she will show them how little they bothered and how little they cared.

And uncomfortable because she has demonstrated that - and to paraphrase Margaret Mead - never doubt that one person can change the world, indeed it's all that ever has.

In other words, she has basically said, 'you could have done this, but you couldn't be bothered'

And fwiw, I think most climate change deniers are just scared.

I spent a couple of hours talking with an American climatologist a while ago and he said we're already ducked.

He said the one thing that the climate models/forecasts don't do, is to build in feedback loops.

Feedback loops increase the speed of change but are inherently difficult to predict so scientists often don't include them.

So for example, they know that a rise in temperature of X degrees will release 10% of the water in the polar ice cap.

That will raise sea levels by a certain amount.

In turn, that will release more water vapour in to the air.

Water vapour is a greenhouse gas just like Co2 and warms the temperature causing more damage to the polar ice caps and thus the loop starts again.

But the last part is mainly guess work.

At some stage the loop reaches a critical mass and it cannot be stopped no matter what you do with Co2.

He told me that a number of climate scientists already believe we are beyond that stage (or approaching it quickly) and that this rapid change we are getting with unpredictable weather is the forerunner.

And he's right there are a number of eminent scientists that either think we're past it or coming it up to it quickly. - I doubted it so did some research.

Of course, they could be wrong, but I'll say this.

The single most ignorant and flat out stupid approach to climate change is to say 'they've been saying this for years'

That HAS to happen with any natural catastrophic event

It's highly predictable that California will get hit by a major earthquake at some stage.

It's just that nobody knows when.

If you believe science, this is no different.

7 hours ago, Chester40 said:

I don't follow current events closely anymore ... I hadn't even seen her until this week. 

I found her incredibly annoying and pretty bizaare. 

Sorry, I know that is very un-PC and no doubt says a lot about me...but I couldn't watch more than a minute before she registerd a 10 on the 'grating as hell' scale and turned her off. 

You may enjoy this warning contains naughty word.

Doctor: I’m sorry but your irresponsible lifestyle has led to you now having cancer. We need to operate immediately to remove the tumor.

Grumpy Old Git: Nah. Don’t like the way you just spoke to me so stuff your surgery. If you want to operate you need to ask nicely. 

Doctor: Err, if we don’t operate, the cancer will spread and you will die. 

Grumpy Old Git: I heard you the first time. Don’t you know that trying to force your beliefs on someone merely makes them more resistant to the message? Nobody likes being preached to. 

Doctor: I’m not preaching I’m trying to save your life.

Grumpy Old Git: Stop exaggerating. Is their any scientific proof that cancer kills people? I  bet I could find Loads of experts who say it doesn’t. Project fear in my book. There’s obviously an agenda behind your diagnosis. Plus, your bedside manner is awful. 

Sound familiar? 

Archived