Middlesbrough to sue the EFL over Derby's Stadium Purchase

Bubbles

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing. Middlesbrough, who had a higher wage bill than us, are throwing their toys out of the pram due to our overspending. You couldn’t make it up. 

It’s arguably one of the most bitter moves in the history of the English game, and I’m actually glad we’re at the heart of it. 

I’ve just had a look: our wage bill was £40.5m and theirs was £49m. £9m a year is over £170k more a week. It’s over 20% higher than ours. 

FFP? The only way it ever works is if there’s is a wage cap for all teams. We’ve literally got a team spending substantially more on wages telling us we’re braking the rules for overspending. The irony isn’t lost on me and just goes to show why these regulations aren’t fit for purpose. 

I'm not really sure on what basis they're trying to sue really? 

If they argue they should have been in the playoffs instead of us there's pretty much a casual link at best. 

Arguing the EFL haven't upheld their rules? The case is being investigated, the league would have acted with reasonable diligence no matter the outcome

Boro can't prove they've suffered any financial loss from our actions, and the league has so far said no rules were broken, they've not really got a leg to stand on. 

Things not right up there, Gibson  Must be short of funds and close to FFP, perhaps they needed promotion to balance the books. I think he knows that the EFL investigation into the sale will turn up nothing. If you have an independent valuation and buy based on that, then its the market rate. 

I did a house up and put it on the market a few years ago and it went for over the asking price, despite the independent valuation of the estate agent saying I should put in on for less. In fact I got a lot more than they said. 

Same principle. 

This must be getting close to Gibson being sanctioned by the EFL as it’s malicious, disrespectful and disruptive. 

Sue the bugger Mel.

I think it’s a bit of Genius by Gibson this as Derby have shown you need to explore all avenues for revenue for FFP. Just surprised Mel didn’t get there first.

But just imagine the Irony if they won their case but the damages were not allowable undo FFP regulations.

The whole crux of this is the value of the stadium and I boil it down to this fairly simple view...

If anyone (be that Mel or any other businessman) wanted to build a 34,000 capacity stadium to the specification of Pride Park what would it cost them to do so? Whatever that cost is, is the real value of the asset. It is immaterial what the investor wants to do with it or it's likely returns - they are personal business issues. 

More than 20 years ago Pride Park is reported to have cost just under £30m to build. Currently, Brentford's new home is estimated to cost £71m; York City's new 8,000 capacity stadium is budgeted at £44m; the Southend stadium project is £80m; Everton's new home is estimated to cost £500m; Spurs' new cathedral cost £800m!!

I am no expert, but to put a value of circa £80m on building a copy of Pride Park does not seem wide of the mark to me.

Some fans are at least more logical than Gibson is...

And what exactly are we suing them for? Sounds like Derby haven't broken any existing rules to achieve a higher position than us. To say they achieved 6th over us because of that £40m is also not just bull *** but we'll have a job proving that.

Even if we achieved 6th, so what? Will the EFL look back at last season and think 'well if they did finish 6th, they could have been in the Premier League now'? Surely not. Not one of our fans feels as aggrieved at our position as Gibson seems to be.

He's going on a sour rampage after wasting our money over the last 2 seasons on players who were not worth relatively what we paid for them and paying a manager a *** ton to do a job he was incapable of doing, who then came out to say achieving 7th was better than our previous league finish. The fact he's on this vendetta against everyone else seems to further prove he's not going to accept the mistakes he has made.

He'd do well to keep his gob shut and focus on winning back the support closer to home who are paying for cleaning up his mess. I've never seen so many fans question his running of the club to the point of wanting rid as I've seen this year, he should really acknowledge that before pointing fingers.

And others are clearly Gibson...

Mel Morris is trying to sell Derby right now for £60m, and allegedly the club is losing £3m a month. 

It's a joke.

9 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I’ve just had a look: our wage bill was £40.5m and theirs was £49m. £9m a year is over £170k more a week. It’s over 20% higher than ours. 

FFP? The only way it ever works is if there’s is a wage cap for all teams. We’ve literally got a team spending substantially more on wages telling us we’re braking the rules for overspending. The irony isn’t lost on me and just goes to show why these regulations aren’t fit for purpose. 

Isn’t that the point Boro are making, the rules aren’t fit for purpose ? The irony is that the clubs voted these rules in, Boro as have we have done, have decided that we now want to overspend against these rules and have found a loophole to ensure we stay within the sustainability cap.

What we have done is not breaking any rules, however how can the EFL be held accountable for bringing in a set of rules that are being stretched by clubs to comply with regulations because now we feel are no longer fit for “their” purpose.

Gibson should be focussing on talking to the EFL and clubs to changes the rules if he has an issue with it, no point looking back if no rules have been broken. 

1 hour ago, Woodley Ram said:

Things not right up there, Gibson  Must be short of funds and close to FFP, perhaps they needed promotion to balance the books. I think he knows that the EFL investigation into the sale will turn up nothing. If you have an independent valuation and buy based on that, then its the market rate. 

I did a house up and put it on the market a few years ago and it went for over the asking price, despite the independent valuation of the estate agent saying I should put in on for less. In fact I got a lot more than they said. 

Same principle. 

This must be getting close to Gibson being sanctioned by the EFL as it’s malicious, disrespectful and disruptive. 

Sue the bugger Mel.

It reeks of desperation to me. Gibson ****** up when they got relegated by appointing Tony Pulis and then allowing him to piddle away millions of pounds in parachute payments on crap players and high wages. They failed to get back to the Prem and now they are about to lose their parachute payments, but still have all their extra costs to cover. The only thing he has done so far to cut costs was to get rid of half the people on minimum wage that work at the club. I also assume the appointment of Woodgate was a cost cutting exercise as well. I reckon they are very close to breaching FFP and he is desperately scratching around for alternative sources of revenue to try and fix his **** up.

2 minutes ago, AdamRam said:

Isn’t that the point Boro are making, the rules aren’t fit for purpose ? The irony is that the clubs voted these rules in, Boro as have we have done, have decided that we now want to overspend against these rules and have found a loophole to ensure we stay within the sustainability cap.

What we have done is not breaking any rules, however how can the EFL be held accountable for bringing in a set of rules that are being stretched by clubs to comply with regulations because now we feel are no longer fit for “their” purpose.

Gibson should be focussing on talking to the EFL and clubs to changes the rules if he has an issue with it, no point looking back if no rules have been broken. 

All of the EFLs FFP rules and their fit and proper persons test rules are currently being reviewed by an independent body after the Bury debacle. The purpose of the review is to determine if they are still fit for purpose and to advise if any changes are required.

15 minutes ago, GenBr said:

All of the EFLs FFP rules and their fit and proper persons test rules are currently being reviewed by an independent body after the Bury debacle. The purpose of the review is to determine if they are still fit for purpose and to advise if any changes are required.

I wasn’t aware the review of the sustainability rules were included so thanks for that.

Clubs will still look to exploit them though when there is so much at risk for breaking them, we only have to look at parliament to see no matter what rules are in place, people will always look to bend them.

It's a weird road to go down. Gibson probably knows it won't succeed but thinks the exercise will be worth it in terms of inconvenience caused to the EFL.

He does seem to be struggling with a) not being promoted again despite spending what he thought was sufficient money to do so and b) other clubs are also trying to be promoted and will try to gain advantages where the can to do so, yes, even non-parachute payment clubs with ambition.

If it succeeds, where does it end anyway? Surely every club we played would thus seek recompense through the courts, there'd be hundreds of actions by everybody against everybody else, we'd sue leeds over the spy thing....

Archived