What3words: The app that can save your life

Wolfie

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was telling my lad about this app as he’s going to the Reading festival next week, thought it could be handy if he’s in a huge field of people and he sees someone unwell or something...I got the rolling eyes treatment.

I still think it’s a great idea. 

I read about this about a year ago, and my ears pricked up, as whilst we're far from adventurists, we do like to go off for a wander, be that on foot or bikes, and be it UK or mainland Europe!  I thought it may come in handy.  I also thought it was an extremely clever and fantastic idea...

24 hours later, I'd read enough to, not exactly put me off, but enough to make me not bother!

The words don't translate well. 
Long/Lat numbers already exist, and are not only more accurate, but the digits used (The number system we and many others use) are more recognisable to more people around the world. 
This app won't work if the stricken caller cannot speak (if they are stranded alone, for instance). 
It doesn't allow for the points moving, such as earthquakes etc.

There's one such article below, referencing a few apparent negatives.  There's plenty more, if and when you bother to delve deeper.  Some points appear to be a personal crusade, an agenda.   Some just appear to make sense, and make you (me!) sit back and wonder!

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

I know... it's the internet... who do you believe!  Like I say, I just didn't bother in the end.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

What a brilliant idea, very clever!

(Pride park is rooney.Derby.promotion allegedly)

The city ground is stinking.cess.pit

13 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I read about this about a year ago, and my ears pricked up, as whilst we're far from adventurists, we do like to go off for a wander, be that on foot or bikes, and be it UK or mainland Europe!  I thought it may come in handy.  I also thought it was an extremely clever and fantastic idea...

24 hours later, I'd read enough to, not exactly put me off, but enough to make me not bother!

The words don't translate well. 
Long/Lat numbers already exist, and are not only more accurate, but the digits used (The number system we and many others use) are more recognisable to more people around the world. 
This app won't work if the stricken caller cannot speak (if they are stranded alone, for instance). 
It doesn't allow for the points moving, such as earthquakes etc.

There's one such article below, referencing a few apparent negatives.  There's plenty more, if and when you bother to delve deeper.  Some points appear to be a personal crusade, an agenda.   Some just appear to make sense, and make you (me!) sit back and wonder!

https://shkspr.mobi/blog/2019/03/why-bother-with-what-three-words/

I know... it's the internet... who do you believe!  Like I say, I just didn't bother in the end.

There may be downfalls, nothing’s perfect. But it’s free, so where’s the harm in downloading it and letting it sit in a folder on your phone until you need it? Hopefully you’ll never look at it again (and you’ll probably forget that you have it, if you alegre do need it, but cest la vie).

13 hours ago, Paul71 said:

The city ground is stinking.cess.pit

I thought I should check the center circle at PP but unfortunately it looks like the pitch was covered that day!

Anyway I tried to aim at center circle with the app and it is, crust.legal.sheep, honestly!

To remember it--> the sale of the sheep's ground where footballers earn their crust is entirely legal.

Mel must have fixed  that one...

1 hour ago, TigerTedd said:

There may be downfalls, nothing’s perfect. But it’s free, so where’s the harm in downloading it and letting it sit in a folder on your phone until you need it? Hopefully you’ll never look at it again (and you’ll probably forget that you have it, if you alegre do need it, but cest la vie).

Oh yeah.  totally agree.  There's no harm in downloading it, if you think it may come in handy one day.

I just got the impression it was a waste of time... or rather that there are better/quicker ways of passing on your location to the emergency services... plus I'm not expecting to get stuck down a ravine anytime soon!  Fingers crossed! LOL

From a fun/entertainment pov (ie looking up the words for your home address etc), I'm sure it's a blast, but that's not really my bag.

Like you say (Hi Richard!), Let's hope none of us actually need it... or regret not downloading it! 
And for the record... I'm not normally the first on, poo-poohing what others consider a good idea.  I thought it would make a nice change to be negative for once!  LOL!  

7 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

Oh yeah.  totally agree.  There's no harm in downloading it, if you think it may come in handy one day.

I just got the impression it was a waste of time... or rather that there are better/quicker ways of passing on your location to the emergency services... plus I'm not expecting to get stuck down a ravine anytime soon!  Fingers crossed! LOL

From a fun/entertainment pov (ie looking up the words for your home address etc), I'm sure it's a blast, but that's not really my bag.

Like you say (Hi Richard!), Let's hope none of us actually need it... or regret not downloading it! 
And for the record... I'm not normally the first on, poo-poohing what others consider a good idea.  I thought it would make a nice change to be negative for once!  LOL!  

Appreciate all that, I nearly left it there, but I couldn’t. 

Im out for a jog along the bridlepath that goes under the a50. Not too adventurous. I trip and possibly break my ankle. 

I call 999. How do I let them know my location? Could I share my location with what’s app? To the 999 lady? Or invite her to view me on find my friends?

ive got quite a few apps where I can share my vos location with my friends, but I wouldn’t have a clue how to get my gps coordinates off my phone to tell someone where I am. 

Archived