'A genius football man'

RoyMac5

The man who gave him his first opportunity in international football was Sven Goran Eriksson.

"I'm surprised [by the move], of course, but well done Derby!" Eriksson told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think Rooney will be a very good coach and manager in the future. Rooney's a football man, a genius football man.

"He's very, very clever when you talk about football, tactics, organisation, how to play and how to train. He was always extremely professional in training, the first on the pitch and the last to leave.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49250309

So Rooney the coach might come in handy too!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not surprised at all.

People need to learn that not being particularly articulate when it comes to interviews doesn't equate to a lack of footballing knowledge, especially when an individuals been at the very top of the profession for 15 years.

I think someone who’s led teams the way he has, and showed the football intelligence on the pitch that he has across his career, has  to have the potential to make a good coach. Across his career he showed incredible vision at times, you’re not capable of that if you’re as thick as the press makes him out to be, nor are you appointed England and Man United captain. You have to have a decent understanding of tactics to have reached the levels he did and to have the intelligence on the pitch he has, so I’m sure he’ll make a good coach in some capacity- manager or not. I think he’ll be very useful to us as a coach as well as a player of course- tho I’m sure more the latter at his age!

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

You also getting by on 300k pw David?

Thought not...........?

Hey, I’m just grateful you didn’t pull me up on being very intelligent when it comes to football. If your first thought was to go to wages I’m doing something right ?

3 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Not surprised at all.

People need to learn that not being particularly articulate when it comes to interviews doesn't equate to a lack of footballing knowledge, especially when an individuals been at the very top of the profession for 15 years.

... And the other way round as well.....

32 minutes ago, TibshelfRam said:

Martin O'Neill is a very clever bloke. Probably why the Forest players never warmed to him.

Yes he is. MON gave up his degree in law to pursue his career with Florist. An obsessive by nature MON became so intrigued by the Hanratty case that he carried out his own study of the evidence and became known as a bit of an expert on it. 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So Rooney the coach might come in handy too!

Yes. I’ve been giving some thought to Rooney the character: we all probably know about the tabloid press stories and may have garnered a fairly negative image of the chap but there’s evidence that throws alternative light on Rooney the man.

On his Wiki page: “He appeared on Sky Sports Monday Night Football as a pundit in Feb 2018 garnering praise from Guardian writer Sachin Nakrani for being “articulate, intelligent, insightful and honest”. 

Further evidence of his creative and independent intelligence come from stories about the names that he and Colleen have tried to register their racehorses at the jockey club with: Norfolk Enchants and Hoof Hearted. Both of these instantly charmed me and made me think there’s perhaps more to Wazza than his caricature suggests. 

Initially I did wonder if he’s got the gumption to take to coaching and then I heard him yesterday quoting Sir Alex about hard work which made me think again. 

So, what is Wayne Rooney really like? 

6 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes. I’ve been giving some thought to Rooney the character: we all probably know about the tabloid press stories and may have garnered a fairly negative image of the chap but there’s evidence that throws alternative light on Rooney the man.

On his Wiki page: “He appeared on Sky Sports Monday Night Football as a pundit in Feb 2018 garnering praise from Guardian writer Sachin Nakrani for being “articulate, intelligent, insightful and honest”. 

Further evidence of his creative and independent intelligence come from stories about the names that he and Colleen have tried to register their racehorses at the jockey club with: Norfolk Enchants and Hoof Hearted. Both of these instantly charmed me and made me think there’s perhaps more to Wazza than his caricature suggests. 

Initially I did wonder if he’s got the gumption to take to coaching and then I heard him yesterday quoting Sir Alex about hard work which made me think again. 

So, what is Wayne Rooney really like? 

We'll never know. We'll get glimpses but the rest will be kept to himself, quite rightly.

What did strike me yesterday was the difference between his interview with the UK media with Phillip and the one to one with @OwenB87 and RamsTV. In the latter he was much more relaxed and more articulate and better. Could be the interviewer was better; might be that he's much more guarded with the national media given the stuff he's had chucked at him over the years (some of his own making, a lot probably fictitious)

4 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

We'll never know. We'll get glimpses but the rest will be kept to himself, quite rightly.

What did strike me yesterday was the difference between his interview with the UK media with Phillip and the one to one with @OwenB87 and RamsTV. In the latter he was much more relaxed and more articulate and better. Could be the interviewer was better; might be that he's much more guarded with the national media given the stuff he's had chucked at him over the years (some of his own making, a lot probably fictitious)

I haven’t watched the @OwenB87 yet but I will. I heard the national Press interview and I did think he sounded a tad jet lagged {unsurprisingly}. I am intrigued to find out further what people think. 

10 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I haven’t watched the @OwenB87 yet but I will. I heard the national Press interview and I did think he sounded a tad jet lagged {unsurprisingly}. I am intrigued to find out further what people think. 

Saw the start of the press conference and thought oh dear this isn't an enthusiastic chap I wonder if the whole think has been done or engineered . I watched the one on rams TV later and felt a lot better about it. On the rams TV one he was much more relaxed and I came round to him genuinely wanting to play and do his coaching.

8 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Saw the start of the press conference and thought oh dear this isn't an enthusiastic chap I wonder if the whole think has been done or engineered . I watched the one on rams TV later and felt a lot better about it. On the rams TV one he was much more relaxed and I came round to him genuinely wanting to play and do his coaching.

Yes pleased to hear you formed that view @RadioactiveWaste. We perhaps all underplay how demanding we are as fans; after all he’d flown in from Washington, toured the facilities, brunched with the players, made a decision, then done live presser followed by @OwenB87 interview. That’s actually a tough day when he may have been feeling rough from the flight. 

Did he say anything out of the ordinary with @OwenB87

5 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes pleased to hear you formed that view @RadioactiveWaste. We perhaps all underplay how demanding we are as fans; after all he’d flown in from Washington, toured the facilities, brunched with the players, made a decision, then done live presser followed by @OwenB87 interview. That’s actually a tough day when he may have been feeling rough from the flight. 

Nothing beyond the happy to be here stuff you'd expect but came across a whole lot more natural. And others pointed out he is very guarded with the press after he got so much grief.

7 hours ago, Ellafella said:

What can I say, I guess I just put people at ease ??‍♂️?

Joking aside, I expect he was exhausted & would have been even more so by the time of the press conference! 

13 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Not surprised at all.

I was always of the understanding that communication was one of the main attributes toward managerial success. Maybe things have changed with the advent of twitter?  

Archived